A nice moment from today :)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Oct 7, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 7, 2011

I have a class of 23 second-graders. About 15 of them are always great listeners, responsible, nice to their classmates, etc. The other 9 have behaviors that are just very frustrating (disrespectful, harming others, etc.). I feel that sometimes my classroom can be a very frustrating place for those 15 children, because the other 9 have such extreme behaviors that disrupt everything we do. Things are improving, but it's going to be a long year.

So, today I had those 15 children stay inside for recess for just a minute. I just thanked them for always being great listeners, being responsible, following directions, etc. The neat thing is that they all got HUGE grins on their faces, thanked ME, and then they all started hugging me. It was just really neat how a simple recognition and thank you meant so much to them. :)

(At first I wasn't sure about "singling" the other students out, but I think these students get it. They know who has the behavior problems, because they see it every day, and they are feeling frustrated with those children. They were mature enough not to go talk about it with the other kids, either. Just a neat moment!)

3. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Oct 7, 2011

Awesome! :) I love those little moments!

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2011

Moments like that are priceless. I think it's great that you recognized their behavior, and I bet that made them very happy.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 7, 2011

Great moment DP :)

6. WhoDatTeacher

WhoDatTeacher Rookie

Oct 7, 2011

That's awesome! What a great moment.

7. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 7, 2011

Good on you for doing that! So often when there are a significant number of behavior problems, it's easy to come down on the whole class. It's nice that you let those 15 students know that you recognize that they are trying.

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2011

What a sweet story. :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 7, 2011

Thanks for sharing that moment. It brought a smile.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 9, 2011

I love doing things like that!

11. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 9, 2011

I know what you mean about the well behaved children being overlooked. I think it is always a frustration we teachers feel. All the kids know who are the problems too. It was great because my third grade class had to elect student council reps. We had talked earlier in the week about picking responsible students when we voted for the officers. Six students from my class stood up and told five reasons they should be our representative. The results were amazing - two smart, quiet, and well behaved students won. It was a great feeling for both of them and I think it was a complement that they were respected and trusted them more than the popular kids.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 9, 2011

That's really neat. I remember when I was in 6th grade, I prepared a speech for student council, and I ran against 2 other "popular" girls. They said really silly things like "I will get the school to have a soda machine that has free soda" and "We will have a dance where the girls ask the boys to go, and the boys have to say yes." I'll never forget when one boy was collecting votes, and he peeked and saw that another boy had voted for me. He looked at the boy and said, "Really?!" That was the only vote I received. :( I was that quiet, smart, responsible student who lost to the popular girls.

Anyway, enough of my middle school flashbacks! :lol: That's really neat that those students one. Hopefully it will give them some confidence, which all kids need at this age!