A new school year...

Discussion in 'Multiage' started by Ambrosegirl84, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Aug 5, 2010

Hi,

I teach at a one-room rural school. This will be my fourth year at the same school, with many of the same kids. I've found that I have to "reinvent" myself a little each year so that the students at least have some new things to look forward to.

So, I'm looking for some ideas on first-day activities (since the kids know each other and me, that narrows it down a lot). Also, I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how to structure the day. This year I'll have 1 first grader, 1 third grader, 2 fourth graders, and possibly, maybe a 6th grader.

Any ideas welcome! Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2010

How about a time capsule, for them to open on the first day next year?

4. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Aug 5, 2010

Wow! Where is this school??? I didn't know they still exsisted!

5. Ambrosegirl84

Ambrosegirl84 Companion

Aug 6, 2010

My school's in ND. Come to think of it, Alice, we did do a time capsule last year, I think...or the year before, but I don't think we ever opened it!!! I'm sure it's in my desk somewhere....but they'd probably enjoy doing that again! Something else I think I'll try is the whole BINGO thing where it's like, "find someone who loves reptiles." "Find someone wearing pink socks," etc. Even though they already know each other, I think I could maybe come up with some stuff...

6. missmelw

missmelw New Member

May 15, 2011

How about '2 truths 1 lie', where the students write down 2 truths about them self and one lie and the class has to work out which is the lie. It would work well with a class who already know each other if you encourage them to use abstract things they may not tend to share with classmates! :)