A most controversial question.

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Securis, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 15, 2009

What Is ART?

I asked this of my students this year and it has been my theme off and on for the entire year. They gave me their definitions which mostly revolved around naming methods of making art. "Art is drawing." "Art is Painting." "Art is drawing and painting."

I did have a few students who put forward that "Art is expressive". Or something worded along those lines. It seems that some of them innately understand what "IT" is but can't put it into words.

I gave them a technical definition akin to what I'm borrowing from the internet, "the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others", but I added my own thoughts that societal interpretation is what provided art objects their value as "ART". In the end, the critics decide.

So, among the learned and practitioners of aesthetics, I ask, "What is ART?"

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2009

It is a "final :cool:product of my imagination", ON PAPER or whatever the case may be.
    Rebel1

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2009

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2009

I can say One, BOTH OR none of the above,
    BUT I'd say ONLY the 1st one is ART.
    The 2nd one is a reflection of your LOVE for your work of ART.;)
    (Just kidding! They BOTH are :cool: products of ART)
    YOU ARE A HOWL!:lol:
    Rebel1

6. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

7. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Apr 16, 2009

We all love a Duchamp...or Dada art! lol

Even as a teacher this is hard to answer! It is all in the wording. My intial thought was art envokes something in me, namely some sort of emotion. 10 seconds later I thought..that could be applied to everything.

Maybe it has to be designated as art via the artist. Even when you look at modern art and it's like...wha...sometimes, lol...internally I still feel some sort of intent or theory or reason behind it's creation. I like to think of art as being one of a kind. Even in Warholland..as much as the image was still a copy of a copy of a copy...it was still original in it's being. You can make 100 prints off a plate, and eat print will still be different...subtle...but different.

I am very much a contextualist..I like knowing the know behind the work. The artist, social events in the time it was made etc. etc. I appreciate a chuck close way more knowing the reason/why in which it was made.

in the end...it is what you want it to be, or it might be what you think someone else thinks, or what the creator thought or didn't think! I sound very Seuss like reading that.

The people who I sometimes think can't get the idea of the intent and reason of an artwork are the ones that say...yeah I can splatter some paint ..and sell it for millions, become a Pollock. I guess when you have a connection...you see how he planned it and it's not just some paint splattered on canvas.

I did some poured paintings in college..one is a series of three shown together that took me like 2 days to decide on their order and rotation!

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 16, 2009

I'm a fan of saying A+B doesn't always equal C. Sometimes A+B=ABCDZ cubed.

There are so many facets that go into creation that it's hard to pin anyone of them to wall as the point at which an object becomes art.

Is the designation in the hands of the artist? I've said no for a long time. I make things, creative things, delved from my heart and my passions. I like them. I think they're great. However, it takes authority to name objects as art and for that it takes other people. What group of people, any random selection or some official bunch of avant garde guard? I think that it comes down to something that is fuzzy and mutable and so changeable that today an object is art. This "Art" connects ideas, meanings, symbols, passions, people and in a passing moment it's some junk item without any value at all except a shadowy memory of what it might have meant. It resonated and then it fell silent. That which is considered true art, academic art, seemingly never falls silent. "Art" stands a test of passing years and people remember or reinvent those connections that brought it to a greater audience.

Art is skillfully executed creative expression acknowledged as such by people over a period of time.

I'm not saying that people are lacking artistic ability when they create but I think that those creative objects need some kind of recognition in order to obtain a designation of art.

On Mr. Duchamp, I read an old Art in America about ten years ago. It indicated that some art scholars think the Marcel Duchamp hand built all of his ready-mades. The R. Mutt 1917 urinal, hand built and set to appear as found. The Mona Lisa with mustache, painted as a self-portrait/ copy, then the facial hair was added. It's all theory and conjecture but it adds a dimension to the statement that Dada was about.

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 21, 2009

I felt there would be a bit more discussion here.

10. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

I'm having a hard time thinking deeply lately, the kids are wiping me out. Give me a few days until vaca and you'll have a few more thought out responses from me. :)