A mask mandate for school...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 29, 2020

I’m going on the theory that if schools mandated masks, more parents would keep their kids at home rather than forcing students to wear masks. Anyone agree with this?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 29, 2020

It depends on how people in a region feel about masks. Where I am, I think people would be more likely to keep kids home if masks weren't required, because most people here seem to believe that mask usage reduces virus spread.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

No, that isn't true at all here. I think most parents won't send their children to school if other students aren't wearing masks. The exception seems to be in PK and K. Parents don't seem to believe these young ones should be in masks as much.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2020

I think a bigger concern for parents is the fact that they have to send their kids to school regardless of masks because both parents have to work. If that were my situation, I absolutely want everyone in masks.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 29, 2020

In my area there's a school mask mandate and more and more people are wanting to send their kids back to school.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2020

I think there are people on both sides. Some would not send kids if there was no mask mandate, because they don't think it's safe, and others won't send kids if there is a mask mandate because they don't want their kid to have to wear a mask all day/feel that kids don't get or spread it so they shouldn't have to.

My district and surrounding districts all have really strict mask mandates. No exceptions- if the mask doesn't work for you, then your choice is online school. I know of several families so far who have chosen online specifically because of the mask mandate. I live in a higher SES district than I teach in, so parents around here have more options. On my nextdoor site I see a lot of parents asking if there are private schools or "learning pods" their child can participate in where masks will NOT be required.

So far we have about a 70/30 split with the majority choosing in person. However, only about half of the student population has selected an option. I can assume that those who haven't selected will lean more heavily towards in person. The super responsible parents who are going to be able to be on top of the online learning thing are also likely the same people who registered in a timely manner.

bella84 and Tired Teacher like this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2020

I am hoping that masks are mandated, but I fear that they will only be recommended. I will be wearing one.

Tired Teacher and readingrules12 like this.
  9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2020

OP, you teach HS, and students that age are fully capable of acquiring the virus and spreading it as an adult would. With those facts in mind, I wouldn't be in school with that population without mandated masks, but, hey, I value my health. I would be hoping that some of the parents have witnessed the carnage up close and personal, and will, therefore, be willing to provide masks. Failing that, I would hope that the schools will pick up the slack.

10. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 29, 2020

I don’t think the mask requirement would impact parents’ decisions here. Then again, I don’t know many parents here besides the ones of my students, who I’m not social with outside of school.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2020

Our kids have to wear a mask. So do DH’s district’s kids. If your child can’t or won’t wear a mask, they have to enroll in virtual school.

12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jul 30, 2020

Most parents here believe the "mask" is a conspiracy theory. They would definitely keep their kids home out of rebellion or worse yet, send them telling their kids that they don't have to wear it.
    School is scheduled to start here in 3-4 weeks despite numbers having tripled in 2 months. We got hit w/ it way later than other states.
    Teachers are all older at our school and most have some type of health condition if not more than 1. It is going to be a crazy yr for many. Teachers are scared and pissed.
    One of the largest districts up here is starting the 1st quarter online. They announced on the news, " We care about the health of our students and employees."
    Our district looks REALLY bad. They obviously don't care about employees. Kids have a choice. Teachers do not. Oh, and there is no mask mandate either.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 30, 2020

My district is requiring masks for only grades 3 and up.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 30, 2020

We are, as well. They are encouraged for pre-K to 2nd grade, and required for all students when on the bus.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 30, 2020

I believe that our state mandate is ages 4 and up for masks so I don't think districts can decide what at what age they will require it. If there is a special circumstance such as the special education students who won't tolerate a mask or students with medical issues then those decisions will be made as they come up.

16. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jul 30, 2020

Our state is requiring masks k-12. School closure is up to the schools. We’re hybrid and I wish we were only online. I will have zero tolerance for mask refusal as I’m high risk. They’ll be reminded to put it on, and if they don’t they’ll be sent to the office. Period.

I have a really hard time wearing mine though, and even I find myself lifting it up for air every twenty minutes or so. I’m legitimately worried I’ll pass out if I wear it for several hours.

mrsf70 and a2z like this.
  17. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2020

This seems to be true in my area. And then there are some who believe in masks and would send their own child with a mask, but they say that, if masks are necessary, then it's not safe to be sending their child to school.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2020

Our back to school plan was announced today--masks will be mandatory for all students in grades 4 - 12 and for all adults. They will be encouraged for younger students. Staff will be provided with medical masks and shields.

19. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 30, 2020

I need to mask train my kid. She can't even keep it on during grocery shopping.

Some local girls bought a bunch of fabric in the prints of the local schools to make masks (I bought a few) in order to raise money for their extracurriculars I sure hope they'll be able to participate in...

vickilyn likes this.
  20. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Jul 31, 2020

Even if there was a mask mandate here, the office would not do a darn thing. I feel so bad for people walking back into it.

otterpop likes this.
  21. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 1, 2020

That's exactly why I'm not taking the building sub position my school offered me when they cut my position. They couldn't be bothered to enforce the dress code for certain children (we had uniforms) and bend to the parents. I know those kids, and I wouldn't feel safe. There's a few too many who would think it's funny to contaminate things and there's already been soap supply issues because some of the boys think it's funny to pee in the soap dispensers.

22. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 1, 2020

Eww! :eek:

23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 1, 2020

Good for you! They cut your position and think they can get you back when they are having a hard time. They don't deserve you. I read a letter written by a district that was sticking up for teachers and was floored by it b/c it is so uncommon nowadays. I am going to see if I can find it.

24. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Aug 1, 2020

This. Just this. Hats off to SP.
    This message was just sent to all Sun Prairie families.
    There are certainly many reasons to be confused, saddened, and even angry about how the current health crisis is affecting schools. Our students have been put in the undesirable spot of having to access instruction remotely. Our exceptional educators are feeling a tension between their professional calling to teach and care for students and the health and safety of themselves and their families. Parents are put in the binary position of making high-stakes choices between factors that compete against each other. And yes, administrators and School Boards across Dane County and the State of Wisconsin must determine next steps for thousands of kids while standing squarely in the midst of many forces and competing objectives.
    Since announcing the decision to have students attend school via distance learning for First Quarter this fall, we have responded to a wave of polarized feedback. While these comments give us insight into our community’s frustrations with the pandemic, we are duty bound to address a particular strand of criticism toward our staff. To that effect, any comments that disparage our staff or question their commitment to the kids of the SPASD are absurd.
    We made the decision in March to focus on “kids over content” to ensure we were meeting the social and emotional needs of students first. Our staff not only exceeded our expectations as they transitioned to distance learning on a moment’s notice, setting a standard of excellence for our state, but they have shown time and again their dedication to and care for our kids.
    We also recognize the need for more academic rigor as well as continued focus on social and emotional learning as we begin the new academic year. We are confident that our staff will not only meet our students' needs this fall but again exceed any standard of educational delivery for the State of Wisconsin.
    To be clear, criticisms of our staff are unfair, undeserved, and must stop. If community members feel the need to criticize and second guess, direct that toward us, not the SPASD employees who dedicate themselves to children day in and day out.
    Indeed, our staff had no part in creating the health crisis we now find ourselves in. Anger toward educators is an unnecessary diversion from communicating with the decision makers--our elected governmental leaders--who can implement policies that will directly impact our current situation in the state.
    So, join us in allowing ourselves to feel confused, saddened, and angry at the opportunities lost over the past several months at the hands of this pandemic. We also invite you to contact elected state officials with your frustrations and recommendations:
    Governor Tony Evers
    EversInfo@wisconsin.gov; 608-266-1212; 115 East, State Capitol, Madison PO Box 7863, Madison, WI 53707-7863
    Assembly Speaker Robin Voss
    Rep.Vos@legis.wisconsin.gov; SpeakerVos.com; 608-266-9171; 888-534-0063 (toll free); 608-282-3663 (fax); Room 217 West, State Capitol, PO Box 8953, Madison, WI 53708
    Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald
    Sen.Fitzgerald@legis.wisconsin.gov; 608-266-5660; Room 211 South, State Capitol, PO Box 7882, Madison, WI 53707-7882.
    We ask you to join us in showing gratitude to the exemplary staff of the SPASD, who will once again rise to the occasion and teach, inspire, and love our children.
    With respect and grounded in Every child. Every day,
    Brad Saron, Superintendent
    Steve Schroeder, School Board President

Missy, rpan and Backroads like this.