A Man's Classroom...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SleekTeach, Jun 17, 2014.

1. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

2. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 17, 2014

The best themes are the ones that work with your personality. What kinds of things do you like to do? If you're a basketball fanatic, do something with sports. If you're a grease monkey in your spare time, do an automotive theme. If you're into science, do an exploration theme. If you're not comfortable with it, it's not going to be fun for the kids.

4. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 17, 2014

I'm doing a superhero theme, but it is a little on the cutesy side, just because I'm with the younger kiddos. I'm a big comics/superheros fan myself, and I already had things I could incorporate into the class.

5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 17, 2014

I started to do that this year but I went Groovy/Scooby Doo. :D

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

One of the things I love about my 2nd grade daughter's school is how it is decorated throughout with prints of famous artworks (Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, Matisse, etc.). It is beautiful, colorful, historical without being too "kiddie."

What if you did something similar in your room? You could do some African American subjects and artists in keeping with your school's historical significance.

7. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Jun 18, 2014

or go with red, white, and blue? it's neutral and can speak to, not necessarily the history of the school specifically, but the broader picture.

8. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Jun 19, 2014

College Theme

In the past, I've been at a school that does a college theme. Each teacher decorates their room in the colors of a college of their choosing. Most of us e-mailed the admissions offices of the schools to explain what we were doing and they sent us TONS of stuff. I received mascot cutouts, streamers, pennants, stress balls to pass out to kids as well as information for middle school parents on how to start getting ready for college.

9. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jun 19, 2014

As a male teacher, I understand what you mean.

First, you need to ask what is your purpose in decorating your classroom? I tend to want to use it to help educate the students. I want to use items that relate to the units and standards I am teaching. Next, I want my classroom to inspire. I want the classroom to be decorated to help them get excited about reading, US History, and other things that we will be learning and doing in 5th grade. Lastly, I do want the classroom to say this is our classroom and not only my classroom. I want it to feel comfortable and theirs as much as mine. I put all sorts of student pictures and work in the room.

This is my purpose and just an example. Your purpose might be different.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 20, 2014

Beautiful! And not overly done. :)

11. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

The pressure to have a "cute" classroom at my school is pretty intense. I decided to go with something that seems pretty simple to me. My baskets are all blue, red, and green. My bulletin boards will have black boarders, with either blue, red, or green backgrounds. Mostly everything I have so far, is red, blue, or green with black accents. I'm not buying any posters because I am the King of Anchor Charts and I love to show them off and personalize them for my kids. As of now I have a few things that really serve no purpose, but it's its for the cause. We have classroom tours -_-

I will be loosely using the "Riveting Robots" theme from Creative Teaching Press. When I say loosely, I mean I only bought the calendar, welcoming bulletin board set, and the matching letters.

here is a link to my classroom calendar

http://www.creativeteaching.com/products/riveting-robots-calendar-set

The welcome bulletin board:
    (The boarder for this will be holographic silver that I have left over from my very first year of field experience in college)

http://www.creativeteaching.com/products/riveting-robots-bulletin-board-set

Letters:

http://www.creativeteaching.com/products/collage-art-4-designer-letters

I'm feeling confident that it will not be too cutesy and will not be an eyesore for me. I think the kids will like it too. I'll probably post pictures Mid August.

Sincerely,

SleekTeach, OP

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

I was wondering what you decided. I think that will be cute without being feminine. Good choice.

13. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Well it's really what Dollar Tree decided because they had the red, blue and green baskets. And I just happen to see black boarders when I went to Staples to buy some ink LOL.

The robots happened last night when I started thinking about the giant bulletin board I have to fill outside the classroom...I simply couldn't resist the coolness of them.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

Nice! I have tons of the Riveting Robots stuff, which I got for free when I worked at a teacher store. I'm just waiting for the right year to use it. :)

15. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 12, 2014

Now that was good to hear...because I had already bought other stuff, but I liked this so much better...so now I guess I should save the stuff I don't think I'll be using this year...Dollar tree has lots of stuff and I tend to just buy it because of the price. However, more costly products are of way better quality and I can't resist buying those either so I have a lot of boarders and things I won't need or to be honest don't even like.