A little vent

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jobsearching101, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Jul 16, 2009

Every interview I've gone on has gone super well and the principal then tells me that I am a passionate, enthusiastic teacher, bla bla bla however they've given someone else the job. Well, what I've learned is that I've been just 1 of the 5 interviews (a courtesy interview as they call it) that they have to hold even though they know who they're putting in the position. I don't even want to stay in this town anyways. I've just lowered the price again in the hopes that we can just leave and start over where we WANT to live. ARGH. I am so, so frustrated and I'm wondering if I should switch careers? Okay, thanks for listening :)

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

I'm so sorry. I know it is frustrating....the right position will come along for you.

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 16, 2009

I hate that. If you already know who you are hiring, don't waste people's time. You'd be surprised though how many times that position might not be fruitful and something else comes up and they remember your face. Keep at it. This job market is fierce no matter where you go or what you do.

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

That stinks! I hope you find something soon, and I hope your house sells!

6. tcherjen

tcherjen Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I am sorry too.. I hope things look up for you. :)

7. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 16, 2009

I'm sorry. Please hang in there!!!

8. Jobsearching101

Jul 16, 2009

Just lowered our house another 26k and we're giving it 2 weeks. Otherwise, we stay and I do the private kinder job here and get my ESL endorsement to make me more marketable. I'm beyond frustrated and tomorrow night there's a huge drink with my name all over it!

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

It's so wrong for them to do interviews when they know they already have someone for the position but I've heard of this. It's so no one can come back later and say they didn't give people equal opportunity. It's all politics.

Had I known how hard it was to get a job, I probably wouldn't have had the confidence I had when I was applying. It really never occurred to me that I wouldn't get the jobs I wanted. Yep..I was that naive. In my career, I have only interviewed with 5 schools each of the 5 times I needed to find a job and the first 2 were both offered so I chose 1 of them. I was 39 when I started teaching.

I've worked at 4 schools. I'm at my fourth now. The first job was in 2001, then the next in 2005, the next in Jan. 2006, then 2007.

If I had to apply for a job now, knowing what I do about the job market, it would be harder for me to walk in thinking "This job is MINE!"

The point to my story is that it sounds like you have a great attitude during your interviews and you come across very good. The problem is that they aren't really hiring. I say keep your positive flow and stay confident. You are doing everything right. It will happen. It's not you.

10. Jobsearching101

Jul 16, 2009

11. Simba

Simba Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Great advice Zoe. Thank you.

12. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I've been in your shoes at least two times. I could tell they were just going through the motions because even before the interview started, the principal acted bored, almost apologetic, and showed nary an interest in my portfolio, resume or my answers to their list of routine questions.
    It's like going on a blind date with the perfect man who just became engaged and who keeps glancing at his watch during dinner.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

Ok... vent over. Pick yourself up. Wipe off your brow. Get on the computer and apply in some of the places you are thinking of moving to. You can do this. It is hard. It does not seem fair. You are worthy and you WILL have a job. You can always vent. We will always be here. We understand and want YOU to find your class this year. There is still time. :):):)

14. Jobsearching101

Jul 17, 2009

SCTeachInTX- you rock!

I told my husband that its now or never- so we are praying our house sells. If I was to get a job here, we'd never leave. I really want to raise my kids in a more friendly family atmosphere. That's why we've lowered our price on the home, hope it sells, and THEN I'll find a job when we settle. And I keep searching here until we sell the house. It's tough, but I KNOW it will be fine. As for now, we're spending as little as possible! Good thing its summer and we can entertain the kids up at the lake! I just do need to vent now and then and I know I'm not the only one feeling this way. One more thing- the principals didn't act bored during the interview, I really think they all liked me...they're just not really hiring- they hire from within the staff- teachers that didn't have renewable contracts. It just sucks to wait for that phone call when you really, really thought you had the job! Thanks for listening.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

Where will you move? The job market is tough everywhere. :sorry:

16. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

No - YOU ROCK JS101. It is a sign that there are better places out there to raise your family and to find happiness. Get busy. Apply, apply, apply and keep the faith that your house will sell quickly, and that you WILL find the job, the school, and the lifestyle that will bring you and your family happiness. Enjoy the lake, eat rice and beans, and keep the faith that YOUR school is out there just waiting for you to make the move. You can do this. You can and YOU rock. We will take you in Texas any day. You just need to be in the right place at the right time. It can happen. And dreams do come true.

17. Jobsearching101

Jul 17, 2009

We tried Texas (Austin) and right after the job fair there was an elementary hiring freeze. Our hearts are in the Carolinas (either one of them). I understand that its tough everywhere, but at least getting planted where we want to continue raising our amazing boys is a great start. We shall see and if not this year, there's always next year.

18. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 17, 2009

Well, girl! I just sent a bunch of websites that have openings... Check out my post for WANTING TO RELOCATE. I am from SC and wish you all the best. It IS a great place to raise kiddos. I hear Austin is tough. Let me know if you apply in SC. I do have connections there. :)

19. Jaz

Jaz Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

Sorry they are wasting your time. That is so wrong of them.