A little scared...Help!!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by glitzern02, Jul 1, 2005.

1. glitzern02

glitzern02 Companion

Jul 1, 2005

I have one semester left of classes and then I'm student teaching in the spring, with graduation in May. I am already starting to get a little nervous about finding a job. I am doing Elementary Education with Special Ed, so I can go both ways on that. I was just wondering when I should start kind of looking at various jobs and all of that. I am afraid that if I wait too long then I'll miss out, but I have also heard that many districts don't hire until over the summer. Any thoughts? How should I go about this process? Does it hurt to go ahead and contact schools to get my name out there? I know I'm probalby thinking about this a little early, but I don't want anything to get away from me! Thanks!

3. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 1, 2005

I think you might want to wait until you are at least student teaching--being on the campus of one school will give you a better idea of how it all works. In my area, most districts not only wait until summer to hire, but many of them only take applications when specific openings are posted. Some districts prefer the "come meet us" approach, while some prefer that you go through EdJoin (online) or through the district office only. It's a little complicated that way. And of course, there are always the "who do you know?" scenarios...but I think they are less common these days.

It certainly can't hurt to be doing your homework about districts/schools in your area, to learn as much as possible about them. But it seems a little soon to do much else. Play it by ear a little longer--talk to your instructors to get their opinions too. Good luck! And don't sweat too much--I found that it all starts fitting together when you're ready for it...and just in time!

4. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2005

Is it possible for you to substitute during your last semester of classes? if it is that would be my first suggestion. We were told to start applying for positions at the end of January/or February. I sent my resume packets out around that time frame and it seems like I got pretty good results from the districts. Some of my friends waited until much later and they still haven't had any interviews. The important thing is to stay on top of things once you send out your packets of information. it is always good to try to hand deliver the packets if possible. Stay up to date on who is hiring where, call and check the progress of hiring. You mentioned that you have a special ed degree, you shouldn't have any problem finding a job in special ed. That degree is in very high demand. It sounds like you are doing great! It is always good to try t stay ahead of the game. Good Luck! The last year of school was by far the best for me, i'm sure you will enjoy the journey!