A little OT: Starting a family/ being pregnant first year of teaching

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AKGrant, Aug 29, 2008.

1. AKGrant

AKGrant Rookie

Aug 29, 2008

I wanted to ask you all what your thoughts were on being pregnant your first year of teaching? My husband and I want to start a family soon, but we are debating whether or not subbing would be better instead of actually teaching while being pregnant. First of all if we start when we plan on starting (after the holidays), then I would be due during the first months of school and nobody would hire me. If we wait to start trying once I got hired, then the baby could be due before school even gets out. Either way, I'm not sure how thrilled I am about teaching and being pregnant while teaching. So I guess I'm posting because I'm curious about all of you teachers out there who are mommies and how that effected things in the classroom, getting hired again, and if you thinking subbing would be a better choice.

Any advice is appreciated!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2008

I'm not a teacher yet but I am a mother of three and working in a school system. I personally wouldn't recommend it. The first year of teaching is overwhelming enough.

4. calalily18

calalily18 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

Also, what is your school district's policy on non-tenured teachers getting time off, etc? You need to save up the 30 days of leave time (which takes 3 years in my district), to get paid for your 6 weeks leave. Also, you might have difficulty with your job the next year, in that you might not have one. Just some things to think about.

5. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 30, 2008

I agree - the 1st year teaching is stressful enough with learning all that you need to know with teaching, procedures, paperwork, staff meetings, etc plus it seems like you get sick a lot that first year with being exposed to all the kids and germs, etc. I wouldn't get pregnant the first year and have to deal with all the stress!

6. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Aug 30, 2008

I would go the subbing route... I'm a first year teacher and I can tell you that it's overwhelming, stressful and exhausting!! You don't want to add being pregnant to that list.

Good luck with you decision!!

7. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 30, 2008

I was pregnant my first year of teaching full time. I had already worked in the school as an aide though for the previous year. I work at a charter school where nobody is tenured, so that wasn't an issue. I ended up having my son at the end of April. It worked out well that I was able to stay out with him until the start of the next school year. Had I not been a fixture already at the school, I probably wouldn't have tried it.

My husband and I are trying for baby number three next year. We're going to try to plan on having a baby at the end of May/early June so that I don't have to take short term disability. Short term disability is only about 60% of your normal pay...which stinks!

I would highly recommend the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I really think that understanding my body's schedule was the reason I was able to get pregnant the month I wanted to. It worked out perfectly for us!