A little miffed

Discussion in 'General Education' started by monsieurteacher, Nov 6, 2009.

1. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 6, 2009

Alright, so I'm a fairly new teacher... I have been working for two years, but am starting all over again from scratch after not having my contract renewed last year due to layoffs.

I have an excellent reputation, but I'm at a whole different school than the last two years, and I'm in an LTS, so I feel like I'm starting all over again.

So today, I was calling one of my students who has been out all week on my lunch hour. I was sitting in my classroom on my cell phone, checking in with this student, making sure she was ok, and telling her to get better so I could see her on Monday.

While I'm chatting with her on my cell phone, in comes my class, five minutes early! So there I am chatting on my cell phone as my class enters the room. Not only that... but who should appear? My Vice Principal! ARGH!

By the time I had finished the conversation, the VP had left. I had no idea what to say, but I was so mad that my students were sent in so early!

My fellow third grade teacher was on duty... we get along very well. She just apologized to me (before I even started to complain) saying she didn't blow the whistle. One of the other teachers just went ahead and blew the whistle for the kids to go in (apparently she wanted to go in or something).

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2009

We've had problems with the kids coming in early from lunch as well. If you're worried about what the VP might be thinking, just shoot him an email stating that you were checking up on a student who had been out all week sick, and just wanted to make sure that everything was okay.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2009

If I were you, I'd go check with the VP to see what s/he wanted. You could casually say, "I'm sorry I missed you on Friday. I was checking in on Suzie Snowflake to see how she's feeling since she'd been sick all week." That way the VP would know that you weren't making a date or something.
    Not that it's anyone's business on your lunch break.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2009

Right, it was your lunch break--you were not in the wrong. But I understand your vice principal may not have made that connection...he or she may have just assumed your lunch was over because the students were entering the room, while you sat and chatted. That's why I'd take Mrs. R's advice. :)

I shared before that during independent reading a student brought me a gift card he had found in his library book. I had used my cell phone to call the number on the back of the card to see if it had any money on it. If so, I'd have to call the librarian to see who had the book previously...if not, I'd just toss it. Well, of course, my principal walks in while I'm at my desk, sitting down, holding a gift card in my hand, and on the cell phone...and I had told the student to just have a seat and continue reading, so it was just me and my phone. I tried to explain it casually but I don't think he understood what I was doing. :huh:

6. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 6, 2009

The other thing that might/might not matter is the cell phone policy.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, what Mrs R said about the phone-go to your VP and tell him/her why you were on the phone.

Don't hang in your classroom at lunch...and if you do, close and lock the door. Really, what would they have done if you weren't in the room?