a little interview help

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Iris228, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

So I have an interview for a position that I would LOVE in third grade where I did my student teaching. I am concerned for how to address a question that is going to come up.

I am currently teaching in a K classroom in a small private school infants--K. It is my first year teaching there and I have learned a lot, and enjoyed the experience overall. However, the school is getting rid of the K program because they have had trouble filling seats the past few years. The director offered me a pre-K position because she says she "didnt want to lose me" which I am frankly not interested in. (K was a stretch for me I always saw myself teaching a little bit older).

I know that I am going to have to address why I am leaving this position. Should I simply say that they are getting rid of the K program and therefore I am leaving? Should I mention that she was happy with me and offered me a pre-K position or just leave that out?

3. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 5, 2007

Are you certain that they are going to ask you that question? If it does come up, I would just mention that yes, you were happy with that position and that you enjoyed working with the children but, you are wanting to gain more experience and would like to work with older kids. Something like that. I don't know that they will truly care that you are leaving another position, honestly, unless something drastic happened. But, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck! :angel:

4. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 5, 2007

If it does come up just say that due to lack of enrollment they are removing the K program.

I have a similar situation. I taught K in public school, projected enrollment for 07-08 requires the school to go to 3 Kinder rooms rather than 4 and since I have least seniority I am the one to go. I listed on my letter of interest that I am currently teaching Kindergarten, 'but due to projected low enrollment numbers for 07-08, I am left searching for a new position.'
    DO NOT mention that they want you to teach the pre K class and you are not interested in that-the less said on that the better-but on a positive note, it is there if you need a fall back for next year.

5. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know others are in the same boat too. I wasn't planning on having to job hunt again so soon! I forgot how stressful this is!

6. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Jun 5, 2007

Me Too!!!!!

7. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Jun 5, 2007

I would let them know that she offered you the Pre K job, and that you are interested in older grades. I am on the interview commitee at our school, and we like to hear that principals will miss the teacher. It shows that she still wants you, but you are interested in an older grade.