A little help please

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Miss G89, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Miss G89

Miss G89 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011

I am a student teacher and this is my first and only semester in a 5th grade classroom. I am following some of the lessons that the teacher has set up, but I also want to do something different and new that the students might enjoy other than the same thing everyday. Anyone have any suggestions? Our district does not have a smart board to use so I am limited in that area, but we do have net books and projectors that we can use on a daily basis if wanted. Right now I am in charge of grammar, vocabulary, weekly story, focus skills from the book, and getting ready to take social studies and science. I am open to any suggestions.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 20, 2011

There are loads of fun activities that students can do after reading. Consider :

role-playing particular scenes (to illustrate an element you choose)

write letters to favorite characters giving advice on problem solving

make comic strips of events

cut out people shapes and have kids write descriptions of characters on them

make posters intended to 'sell' the book

have students 'interview' other students posing as book characters

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2011

What are you covering in science?

5. Miss G89

Miss G89 Rookie

Sep 21, 2011

We will be starting simple machines next week in science, we have about 35 minutes everyday for about 10 days to get through it before they have to take the assessment for the end of quarter. I think that a lot of the problems that I am having is time, with the reading lessons that I do all I have is 10-15 minutes for instruction because of Daily 5 which is required in the school to do two 45 minute rounds

6. mwil

mwil Rookie

Sep 21, 2011

Can you incorporate simple machines into your reading time? I'm not terribly familiar with Daily 5, although I am in the process of reading the book now. While you are teaching your minilessons, you can teach specific reading strategies using articles related to simple machines. If there are pictures with captions, you can talk about text features, as well.