A little different than other sub vs para posts

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by rwu2010, Sep 5, 2012.

1. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Sep 5, 2012

Building Substitute or Classroom Paraprofessional?
    I’m one of those young certified elementary teacher job seekers (I’ve used this forum frequently over the summer and found plenty of great cover letter/resume/interview tips, so thank you!) and last year I took a job as a 3rd grade classroom paraprofessional (in 1 room all year helping the teacher, focusing on 8 kids). I loved it, I had a really good year there and it was a learning experience for me because it was a very low-income (over ½ the student body was eligible for free/reduced lunch, no technology class, just 1 computer per classroom) low-family involvement (a no-homework policy and more paraprofessionals than parents showed up to the kindergarten and 5th grade graduations) district so it wasn’t like the schools I had student taught, interned, and substituted at previously. I got good experience working with students in special education and a great recommendation from the teacher I worked with all year.
    Over the summer I applied for full time teaching jobs, long term substitute jobs, and permanent building substitute jobs. Got some interviews (especially the week before school started) but no further successes.
    With no luck, I went back to my school as a paraprofessional. The principal had me follow some of my students from last year up to 4th grade, so I’m in a 4th grade classroom with a teacher who I really enjoy so far for her use of Responsive Classroom, Bucket Fillers, and Math Workshop, and I think I could learn a lot from her.
    However, I got a call from a very high end school district asking me to interview for a permanent building substitute position at a K-5 school. I interviewed and got offered the job. It guarantees employment every day and I am first in line if long term substitute positions arise (however there are no long term substitutes needed as of now). If it was still the summer I would take it without hesitations, but now I’m 5 days in to my paraprofessional job and I don’t want to lose ties with this school (although the principal knew I was looking for a teaching position all summer) and I have the guilty conscience of leaving the teacher and my kids, especially the ones I worked with last year.
    My question IS… will a permanent building substitute or a classroom paraprofessional job look better on my resume and help me in working towards getting my own classroom?
    Money/Benefits not an issue.

PULLING ME TOWARDS STAYING AS A PARAPROFESSIONAL
    -I love the upper elementary grades, so I’m excited to be in 4th grade.
    -Guilty conscience/I don’t want it to look bad that I’m leaving now that the year started
    -The principal of the school I’m a paraprofessional at knows I’m a certified teacher and does use me to substitute for my teacher during meetings. Last year I even got to substitute for the teacher on sick/personal days and then someone else came in to the classroom to be my substitute.
    -I’m “part of the class” as a paraprofessional (I form the relationships with the kids and teacher in my class, I create some of the lessons for my kids who need the assignment modifications I go on the field trip with them, and have the school celebrations with them). If I take the substitute job I don’t want to be looked at as “just a sub” who covers classes and is used for every bus duty and lunch/recess duty

PULLING ME TOWARDS PERMANENT BUILDING SUBSTITUTE
    -Getting known in another school
    -Gaining more experience with all the elementary grade levels
    -Getting the chance to be in complete control of the classes
    -Having multiple teachers to learn from on days when nobody is absent
    -Technology: Each classroom has a SMARTBoard, which I got trained in during my Master’s internship before I worked as a paraprofessional, I’m very into teaching with technology
    -Possibility of long-term substitute (but no guarantee)

Any thoughts as to which will look better on my resume for becoming a classroom teacher?

3. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Sep 7, 2012

You didn't mention anything about pay or travel time, so I'm assuming they're relatively the same. What I did notice is that the environments are very different. If I were you, I'd base my decision on 2 factors: What kind of environment do I see myself best working in? Which job will help me gain the most skills?

If I were in your position, I'd most definitely stay in the low-income school. That is the environment that I personally would be most comfortable in, and from what you've said about parent involvement, it sounds like the kids at that school could really use another "cheerleader" in their corner. You also mentioned that you really like the style of the teacher you're working with and could learn from her. That, to me, is huge because I learn the most from watching others. I was a preschool special education aide for a year before being hired as a teacher, and I absolutely loved it because I got to work with many different teachers and pick up language, mannerisms, ideas, etc. that I use now in my own classroom.

Both jobs would show experience on a resume; it just depends on the types of experiences you'd be getting and which you feel would be the most beneficial for you as a teacher.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

Do you have benefits as a para? If not, I'd go with the sub slot.:2cents:

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2012

Do you see a potential job opening up in the school you are currently working at? Where any teachers hired at this school last year?

6. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Just browsing the forum and realized I never said thanks for the advice and support. I did end up leaving the para job (which was putting 50miles of driving on my car each day) and going with the building sub job (no benefits, but it my town so only a 7 minute drive) then horrific events happened 2 months later and I became a long term sub until June and now I just signed my contract for a 1 year LOA position at the school for the 13-14 school year!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2013

God bless your community.:hugs:

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2013

Thank you for stepping up when your community needed you. Good luck!

9. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 27, 2013

At first I was wondering how the others knew what your meant by "horrific events", then I saw your location. I cant imagine what it must have been like to be at that school during the aftermath of that. I hope you enjoy your new job and I hope the people at your school and in your community are able to find some kind of normalcy this year. Good luck at your new job!

10. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 27, 2013

:hugs:

11. rwu2010

rwu2010 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Thanks. I started there in October and the aftermath's been tough but the nice thing is I will be with nearly the entire group of kids I had when I became a 1st grade long term sub in March so we'll be starting 2nd gr togetjee retaining some normalcy of familiarity

12. Mrs.Giggles

Mrs.Giggles Companion

Jul 27, 2013

Wow! Thank you for all you do and for your commitment to the faculty, students, and families in the Newton community. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your town! :hugs:

13. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 28, 2013

God Bless you and your entire school community! Here's hoping for continued Healing in the new school year. I'm 20 min away in CT xx