A little bummed out...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by imanashhole, Jul 30, 2012.

1. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 30, 2012

This past May I was offered a job teaching preschool in a private school. This was a huge step up in salary and career, especially considering I was working in a private nursery school and was looking to make the leap to elementary. I let them know in my interview that I was very interested in teaching elementary grades eventually, and they said they are expanding to a middle school and many elementary teachers will be moving up, so there will be classrooms open next year. Now I get an email from the school saying they are looking for a third grade teacher since the last one resigned for a job closer to her house!

I am so disappointed as I would LOVE this job, but all my experience (2 years) is in Pre-K and they hired me specifically for preschool. I know the woman I am replacing is coming back for next year, although they assured me it is not a leave replacement as they only do one year contracts. It is a small school (one classroom per grade level) and they review contracts in March-April. I know this is looking far ahead, but how can I reiterate that my passion lies with children a little older, even though I have no paid experience in that area? And how can I assure I get one of those classrooms instead of...gulp...getting let go?

Sorry, just feeling a bit down, but I am trying to remind myself that everything happens for a reason..

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

It's the same school that hired you??? If so, then email back asking if there's any chance you could fill the 3rd grade slot instead.

They have tons of applicants for both positions. And you're not leaving them in the lurch or going back on your word, merely asking if there's any way you could work a different level.

4. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 30, 2012

I feel weird doing that...they posted my position at the beginning of May and I was hired at the end. Plus they already posted the job for 3rd grade. I'm nervous about it making me look bad, like I'm not excited about the job they already gave me.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Everything does happen for a reason :) However, you can also control your own destiny at times...sending an email saying although you are happy to be a pre-school teacher at XYZ school, you noticed the 3rd grade opening and would be interested in that position if the P thinks you'd be a better fit for it can't hurt. :)

6. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 30, 2012

I agree with the others. Talk to you p, reinforce that you are still committed but would like to discuss the possibility of taking over the 3rd grade position, especially since you have discussed in the past a likely possibility of moving up into elementary grades. They can't take the contract you signed away from you so you really have nothing to lose. I'd just reinforce the regardless you are excited to be apart of their team! Good luck!!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2012

Definitely talk to your P. Let him/her know how excited you are to work for the school and work with the team, but remind her/him that you desire to work with children a little older.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

Absolutely let your P know! IT doesn't mean you're not committed to doing a great job if you stay in PK, it just means that you're capable of doing lots of things!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

Your handle bugs me because of what IT reads; (It's funny.)
    BUT I don't want to be rude about it.
    Why did you pick it? I had to ask. :D
    Anyways, I agree with the rest of the posters.
    Let them know what your intentions are about moving up to a higher grade.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

10. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 30, 2012

Ok, I'm gonna email him, although I don't think they would consider it without experience...I am nervous about how he will respond. How's this:

Dear P:

Although I am excited about the opportunity to teach preschool at your school, I was hoping I could be considered for the 3rd grade position. I believe I am capable of taking on the position as I have student teaching experience in 5th grade and have tutored at the 3rd grade level for the past year, so I am familiar with standards and curriculum at this level. If this is a possibility, I would love to discuss it with you. I am thrilled to be a part of the school and am looking forward to meeting my colleagues in a few weeks.

what do you guys think? i'm feeling anxious about it but all these responses make me feel like i need to ask...but i want to do it professionally and politely....i do need a job for next year and don't want to turn them off!

11. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 30, 2012

my name is ASHley, hence, ASHhole. It's been a handle I've used for years!

12. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

Got ya!:cool:
    Now! I know, and it is a funny one.:haha:
    I hope you'll get a GREAT response from your principal.
    Rebel1

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 30, 2012

Sounds good to me.

Worst case scenario response in sending this: "I would to keep you in the preschool, but I will keep it in mind for the future."

Worst case scenario if you don't send it is wondering "what if" all year long.

14. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Jul 31, 2012

Any update--did the P respond?

15. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 31, 2012

I sent the email this morning, he hasn't gotten back to me. He just got back from vacation yesterday, so I'm sure he's busy.

I'm pretty sure they'll decline, considering I have no experience and I am a new teacher at that school. As my boyfriend pointed out, "they already know how awesome you are at preschool!" lol he's a keeper. i'll let you all know...thanks everyone for the encouragement

16. imanashhole

imanashhole Companion

Jul 31, 2012

thanks for your help everyone. as expected, it's a no go. he was nice about it and explained that my coteacher is thrilled to work with me and it would be a major setback to find someone new for her in such a short time, the preschool staff is not available to help with interviews, and it is simply too much of a time constraint. he even said i can call him if i'd like to discuss it further. i'm disappointed but did expect as much. at least i reiterated my interest in the upper grades. i'll email tomorrow to tell him i understand and am looking forward to beginning the school year in a few weeks. :)

17. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 1, 2012

At least you tried and they know of your interest. If other positions open up next year, you can always try again.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2012

I'm sorry you didn't get the answer you were hoping for, but at least it sounds like your P had reasons other than thinking you wouldn't be a good fit. :hugs: Hopefully something will open up for next year. :) Now go be an awesome preschool teacher!!! ;)

19. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 1, 2012

Then it must be meant to be :) I was certified to teach 7-12, but I found out how much I love the younger kiddos. Thankfully my first position was for 5th grade so I was able to get some experience teaching before I found a better position teaching 3-6. 3rd grade is a wonderful age to teach-- but I'm sure you'll find ways to enjoy your younger students and they need to know soo much to be ready for first that they'll rely on you to help them.

I'm glad you're also going to follow-up and thank your principal. You might want to get in touch with your co-teacher just in case something got back to her-- if I heard a little rumor that a teacher wanted to be in a different grade I might feel bad. Just a thought. :)

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

I'm sorry it wasn't the answer you expected. Look forward to this school year and hopefully another upper elementary position will open up next year.