A little annoyed

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Apr 12, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Apr 12, 2009

Ok so I just eed to vent for a second.

We went to church today, and obviously there would be a lot more people today than normal. I understand, and I really love it.

I got so annoyed with two girls behind us texting during the service. They would text and giggle and just were not respectful at all. I just didn't undestand. They were making fun of the ladies that were going around sprinkling holy water on everyone. I just felt so sad and maybe I am just extra emotional, but seriously.

Ok that's my vent. Am I being over emotional?

3. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 12, 2009

All I can say is, how irreverent and disrespectful!

4. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Apr 12, 2009

I would have turned around and said something to the girls about respect and requested they turn the phones off. Some just don't have parents that "get it." Our service starts by reminding everyone to turn off their phones as they are in the Lord's house.

5. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

I saw people eating chips and McDonalds today even though we had our service at an auditorium. Hey, its still holy ground.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2009

I think its disrespectful...I'm not the most religious person, but I at least pay attention when I'm in church! I would've turned around and given them dirty looks probably and then asked them to turn the phones off.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2009

Too bad you didn't know their numbers you could have text them and said
    "THIS IS GOD, TURN OFF YOUR PHONE!"

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2009

I am now at the age where I don't give a D@mn What people think about me. I would have turned around and in a stage whisper told them to turn them off!

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 13, 2009

Our pastor annpunces that everone should turn off cell phones. They interfere with the speaker system. I also think it is disrespectful to text/talk in general during a church service.

10. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 13, 2009

I agree. It doesn't matter how religious someone is, in a church or house of worship we should respect the space and the people around us. If someone is so bored that they are texting during the service, maybe it's better they don't attend the service at all.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2009

That is so rude! But to be honest, that's why I don't go to the children's Mass anymore - someone's phone ALWAYS goes off.

12. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 13, 2009

I think yesterday was the first time I saw someone checking their cell phone in church. It was during the postlude at the very end but still...the fact that people can't shut their phones off for an HOUR once a week is actually quite scary.

13. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 13, 2009

I'd like to tell you about Ms. Earlene. She was a very nice and very proper lady, at least in my memory. She was our neighbor and we lived a stone's toss from the church doors. She lived even closer. You could watch the service from her front door. I guess what I'm alluding to is that Ms. Earlene was no nonsense and devout.

While she never actually physically disciplined anyone else's children, though this was in a time when that type of thing was more socially acceptable, she was very vocal and assertive that children display the proper modicum of decor while services were being observed. I can remember a morning service where she gathered six young gentlemen and two young ladies, all while services were being held to sit in the pew right in front of her right up front. The preacher never missed a beat but some parents and other adults did swivel and grin approvingly.

From then on, I just sat on that pew because I knew I would just end up there anyways. So did the rest of that cabal of rascals. It only took once.

That's what's missing. Solidarity among adults. It might mean a group effort and someone to stand forward. Someone convicted by the spirit to see a change and a lesson learned. In retrospect, I appreciate Ms. Earlene beyond measure and she has a top 10 billing in my list of role models. If I could summon an ounce of her presence and temerity, I'd be a better person.

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2009

Nowadays, Ms. Earlene would be stopped in her tracks with parents standing right behind their kids giving the "what do you think you're doing with my kid?!!!" look. :mad:

Times have changed because of parents like that.

By the way, I love Ms. Earlene! :love: People like that teach you your place accordingly.

oh and me too...I would have turned around and told them to turn off their phones and be quiet.