A lil hurt

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by sweetlatina23, Dec 15, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 15, 2010

I know I shouldn't be, but I am. Certain students were asked to complete a survey nomitating a teacher that has helped them. All my students forgot their survey, however, one did bring it in. She showed it to me, which hurt even more. She choose the other 6th grade teacher. I haven't read why she nomitated her, but it hurt. I know she is a good teacher, but she is always on her cell phone. I know I text and I come online, but only if they are working. I teach, I use visuals, I always offer assistance. They all come to me for advice, yet I feel like I wasn't even noticed on this survey. One student told me she just didn't know who to pick, I was in shock!! :mellow:

I know I should't worry, but wow! I just felt so hurt. This teacher does bring in the students during her lunch hour to tutor them. However, I have seen the tutoring and all they do is work the math problems on the board, while she is on her phone. The students have told me she is constantly on her phone and I have seen her.

I guess I just needed to vent. :(

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

:hugs:

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

Sorry you feel hurt. You shouldn't compare yourself with the other teacher. You might want to reconsider "texting and coming online when they are working", though. Kids notice, so do administrators, and there are definitely kids in your class who could use your feedback/help/encouragement while working.

5. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Dec 15, 2010

Middle school children can be hurtful

I wouldn't let the survey hurt you, I would try to think what I could do to make more of a difference to future students.

As for cell phone usage and texting, in both of the schools I sub in using your cell during class time is a firable offense. We are only allowed to use our cell phones during our free period and then it is supposed to be in the teacher room. How can we tell children they are not allowed cell phones and confiscate them if we see them and then use ours in front of them.?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

It blows my mind that teachers phone and text during class.

7. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 15, 2010

I agree.
    I agree.
    I agree.

Minus an emergency, I can't fathom EVER needing to use my phone.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 15, 2010

:agreed: :agreed: :agreed: I just don't get it . . . the only people that would NEED to get in touch with during my WORKING hours know to call the school office and if it is an emergency, someone will come and get me. I know this thread wasn't about cell phone usage in the class room, but that was the first thing that popped out at me in the OP post.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 15, 2010

In addition to the questions regarding the professionalism of phoning, texting, surfing online during work time, one should be acutely aware that if you are on school computers doing other than school work, you could be 'tracked' by administration...It's theft of time, and students deserve better.

10. smalltowngal

Dec 15, 2010

I thought the same thing about the cell phone usage when kids were in the room. Cell phone only comes out during my free period after my work is done.

11. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Dec 16, 2010

Don't fret over it. We once had a special areas teacher campaign to the students for an award. She went on and on about how special areas teachers never win this award. I think they gave it to her so should would shut up about it!

12. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 16, 2010

I agree with everyone about texting and being online; it's just not a good idea. As for the award, that's not what defines you as a teacher.

13. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 16, 2010

The award doesn't mean anything to me. I know I am a good teacher, I know what I do for my students, and I know that I work very hard for them. I was hurt because I wasn't considered, its just the thought.

I do not use my cell phone to talk. Yes, I do text in class if its necessary, I rather text than be using my phone like other teachers do. I also don't believe that I should be defined as a teacher because I use my cell phone to text.

I also use the internet when its a down period. Right now I am on my prep time, so I don't see a problem. My principal has told us that we are not allowed to use our cell phones unless its an emergency, however, all the teachers continue to allow their phone to ring in class. I keep my phone in my purse the whole time. I do check it once in a while if its my husband then its an emergency. I don't sit there chit chatting with my friends and family.

I just wanted to clarify my point as well.

14. smalltowngal

Dec 16, 2010

sweet~and who's to say that you weren't a consideration to some students? If they could only choose one teacher, they might have had to decide between you and another teacher, and for some reason they chose the other teacher. Just let this roll off your back, and keep doing what you're doing!

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 16, 2010

I'm not trying to come down on you, especially because you're not the only one who has caused me to wonder...but how is a prep period so often confused with a break period?

As far as feeling bummed, I see you teach middle school. Middle school students do not always recognize the value in the great teachers until years later when they reflect on their experiences. In the moment, the "it" teacher may simply be the fun one and not the one who has a passion for teaching, learning, and children. Just keep that in mind. One day you may get one of those thank you notes from a former student and will make your heart melt. :)

16. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 16, 2010

Maybe since the other teacher is too preoccupied with her phone to teach anything, the kids find her "easy" and therefore like her more. What is the reason for having the survey in the first place?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 16, 2010

Sweet latina...you said in your op that you text and go online "when they are working"...that does somewhat define, or at least hint at, your classroom practices. 'work time' for kids is prime time for you to pull small groups, confer,assess kids' learning. A quick peek at your phone for emergencies or a quick look to see if there is pressing school email is one thing...texting and going online is vastly different.:sorry:

18. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 16, 2010

Same

When I observed last fall, the ONLY time that my cooperating teacher was on her cell phone in class was when she had to schedule an emergency appointment with a neurologist for the Bells Palsy she was diagnosed with the day before (She was able to see my neurologist). Even when she was on the phone, she had the aide and I occupy the students by continuing the lesson

19. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 16, 2010

Why is it necessary to text during class? What issue(s) are you discussing (in the texts) that cannot wait until your planning period or a break between classes?

Browsing the internet during your prep time or down period is better than doing it during class time (obviously), but again, I have to wonder what is so urgent on the internet that it cannot wait until you are actually on your own time - away from school?

I rarely ever sit at my desk during a class period. Once I get the kids working on the assignment for the day, I am usually circulating around the class to answer questions they may have or to illustrate a problem if several students are finding it challenging.

If I do sit at my desk, I am usually grading papers or recording grades. I might check the school emails to see if anything new has been sent that might need my attention later, but I never browse the internet when kids are in the room.

20. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Dec 17, 2010

As a teacher, I was never on my phone. Now as an Admin. I'm never in my office and use it to check e-mail and my office calls are automatically routed to it.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 17, 2010

This is becoming a juicy topic and one I'm tempted to join because I have thoughts and stories on it as well. I suggest another thread be opened on it and in here we focus on the topic the op wants reassurance on.

I think it is natural to feel hurt. I recently had an activity where students were asked to give something to someone. When the card for teacher was pulled, students picked aides and my team teacher before me almost every single time. It was a little comical at times because my students looked at me almost asking permission to do so. I let them and encouraged them to give the things to whoever they wanted. Would I have preferred it that way? Not really but I also didn't take it personally. I know I'm a good teacher and I know they love me. They show me in a million different ways throughout the year. I know you are in middle school and all teachers are on equal footing. Like another op says, it could just be that they view the other teacher as easier.

22. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 17, 2010

My cell phone is on my desk, but I only use it during my lunch hour. I do not text or talk on the phone unless it is a family emergency. I don't have time to go online, even during my prep time!

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 17, 2010

Um, can we all please keep in mind that sweetlatina did NOT post this thread to be jumped all over because of texting or online time? She was likely down because of a silly popularity contest, and was presumably looking for a little sympathy, an atta-girl, an it's ok you're doing fine...if you don't have that to give, don't want to, don't care--then is it really necessary to make her feel even worse because she does things that others choose not to?

No one here knows what the situation in her school is. No one here knows what her regulations are. No one here has any right to make judgments about what she does or does not do in a classroom based on an offhand comment about texting or online activity.

You can be angry at me for saying this if you want to, that's fine. But if it were me in sweetlatina's shoes, I would feel like crap right now after reading a few of the responses here.

Yep, yep, yep, I know, I've heard it before, don't post something if you don't want a comment, everyone's entitled to their opinion, yada, yada. But come on, people, there's something to be said for a little courtesy, a little sympathy. Roll your eyes, mutter to yourself, and move on.

Jeez.

24. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 17, 2010

:yeahthat: :yeahthat:
    eta: to me it feels like "Look at me, I'm sooooooo much better than you. I don't do those unprofessional things that you do. I'm a better, more perfect teacher than you." That's just the way it reads in my head since it wasn't the topic or purpose of the thread. It's overkill IMO.

25. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2010

I deleted my post, which was about cell phone policies at my school.

I don't think anyone is trying to be mean to the OP. I think they're trying to explain that it's not a good idea to text at school. Because it's not. Regardless of the rules and policies at school, we're supposed to be teaching our kids. It's hard to teach when we're on our cell phones. It sets a bad example, at the very least.

I think people were trying to let the OP know that if it is important to her to be viewed as a difference-maker, she needs to set a good example and not be on her phone. I don't think that's a "I'm better than you" attitude. I think it's good, constructive advice for someone who wants to be better.

26. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 17, 2010

I don't think anyone was trying to say that they were better than anyone else. Different schools have different policies. To me, I'm not going to use my phone throughout the except for on my lunch unless it's an emergency. For instance, yesterday they closed us early due to snow, so I called a friend to see what road conditions were like to determine whether I should drive home or not.

I was willing to lend support and understand how the OP was feeling because I am very sensitive to wanting to be liked. The thing that caught me offguard was the following comment:

To me, this was what sounded like an "I'm better than you" attitude. The OP was saying that she didn't like the other teacher using her cell phone while the kids were in the room, however, she also does. Seems like it's ok for her to do, but not the other teacher.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 17, 2010

Just to clarify Caesar, I wasn't posting in response to you. It just so happened that mine was right after yours. I was posting in response to the thread in general. I read yours, and personally, I totally agree with you that texting in school is not a good idea. :)

I also agreed with webmistress when she said that SOME (not all) responses do have a superior tone. This thread really isn't (originally) about texting or not in school.

Anyway. Sweetlatina, just so you know...every time we have a pep rally, our cheerleaders typically do some silly game where they pick students and teachers for the teams...and even though none of the teachers admit it (myself included), it feels pretty good when the students pick you. And when they don't, I feel a little jealous! :eek:

28. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Dec 17, 2010

Back to the original topic because my husband came home 4 hours early and surprised me so I didn't get to say that I honestly would feel hurt too, but I'd try not to take it personally.

When I first started working with kids, just 5 years ago, I had no clue they'd respond to me the way they do. I guess I've gotten spoiled with the attention, hugs and excited faces and smiles that I rarely see other teachers getting, so it's made me even more aware or sensitive to how they view me in comparison to other adults/teachers.

I still wouldn't look forward to any type of comparison surveys like this though. Why would the school ask for this survey when I'm sure most of the teachers help their students, so someone will always feel slighted.

29. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 17, 2010

Looking back, I realize my post was probably one of the ones that sounded superior, even though that wasn't my intention. I apologize for that. The point I was trying to make is that I fully understand the temptation to browse the internet at work, but I realize that would set a bad example, so I remind myself there is nothing there that can't wait until I get home later that day.

It is hard to overlook kids choosing another teacher over you, but I just remind myself that (a) I know I am a good teacher that relates well to my students and (b) middle-schoolers are going through a lot of changes and often like one person this week and can't stand them the next. It's nice when they do give me recognition, but if they don't, I remember that is just a matter of time before my turn comes back around.

Sweetlatina - I'm sure your kids do love you as a teacher. Don't take the survey to heart. Next time, you might very well be the one getting all the votes. Until then, I'm sure you can find signs of how much they truly value you as their teacher each day in the classroom.

30. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 17, 2010

Well said, Cerek!

31. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 17, 2010

Agree- I only use it if I need to call a parent (and block) in an emergency or if I need to call the office- (our call button is unreliable). In general most preschools have their own landlines for these uses, but we do not. I do use it to check the time though if I don't have my watch on (every clock in our school has a different time on it).

32. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Dec 18, 2010

I have to agree with all the posts after mine-it was not my intention to sound like I am a better teacher because I don't use my cell phone. Honestly, I simply do not have time! We are using a new reading series this year that has consumed my time. That said, I have to say that I do understand why sweetlatina was hurt. Whether we like it or not, I find that competition between teachers does exist, even if we did not start the competition. I do not compare myself to other teachers, but I do have a colleague who compares herself to me. It drives me crazy! She is a great teacher and I tell her that all the time.
    To have a survey that allows children to pick favorites is ridiculous in my mind. I agree with what one poster said about middle school children: they often don't know who a favorite teacher is until they are older and reflect back on what they learned from that teacher.
    On final thought: a colleague has a child in our building. The parent(one of our teachers) allows her daughter to choose the teacher she wants. This year she choose her teacher because the girl thought she was cool because she dresses cute.
    Feel better sweetlatina. I know that in the future, a child will come back to you and tell you what a difference you made in their life.

33. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 18, 2010

Teaching middle school is tough and I've felt like you many times. Specially since at this age many consider a "cool" teacher someone who is fun and doesn't give them much work.

In a departamental setting students get to compare different teachers every day and many prefer those who are linient and fun. I've felt like you many times since I'm very strict and I expect a lot of work from the students. At the beginning of the year, students dislike me so much and they constantly tell me that so and so teacher is sooo much better and funner.

This used to bother me but I also see that these are words coming from their inmaturity and lack of ability to appreciate hard work (specially those who have not worked that hard in previous years). My reply to them is that it is not my job to be liked but instead it is my job to make sure they learn and feel confident in their abilities. At times I even respond in a jokingly manner that I consider their comments a compliment since it means that I'm unique and special because I'm not like the rest.

Last year, when I taught gifted students I wasn't as unpopular since these students appreciated hard work. Believe me, sooner or later some of them will appreciate all the effort you put into their learning but many of them probably won't. Keep doing what you are doing and know that you are doing a great job.

34. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 18, 2010

You and the others are exactly right that many of these students may not realize just how much they appreciate some of their teachers until years later.

When I decided to pursue teaching as a career, the man that was my main inspiration would probably still be considered one of the worst teachers by many students. He taught 7th grade math and 8th grade language arts. He also delighted (literally) in terrifying and embarrassing his students, especially the 7th graders. He did a lot of things in the classroom that would get him fired immediately today, but this was the mid-70's and he could get away with his antics back then. While I didn't approve of his methods, I was able to look back later on and realize he was also the FIRST teacher that ever held us to very high standards as students. When he asked you a question, you better know exactly what you were talking about when you answered. For example, one Monday during language arts, he asked "Cerek, what did you do this weekend?" It caught me off-guard and I said "Uhm....well....I sat around the house most of the weekend. On Saturday, I ran to town with mom to do some shopping and..." He cut me off in mid-sentence and said "So you actually sat AROUND your house? How did you do that? You don't look nearly large enough to stretch around an entire house. And then you and your mother went jogging into town to do your shopping? Didn't that make you really tired?"

His point, of course, was to think about what you are saying and give precise answers. It took me a couple of years to fully appreciate that lesson, but looking back, I now consider him to be one of my favorite teachers because he DID challenge ALL of us to rise above mediocrity and reach the full potential he saw in each of us.

35. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2010

Mine was the farthest classroom from the office so it was easer to call on my cell phone then use the intercom.
    Also when On duty outside I could call the office if help was needed.

THE BEST use of my cell was to call a parent right when a student did something wrong! BEFORE they had a chance to make up a story.
    My step daughter would text me sometimes (I think she should enter a texting contest I think she could win) with important info since I did not need to answer the text I could look at my leisure.

As for being on line during class I would look up reference web pages to use in my lesson which I would show on the 5 TVs in my room.
    (on 9/11 I had the internet showing on my TVs and got an award from the Vice principal for using the internet, etc.)

36. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Dec 27, 2010

Alright, so I haven't had time to come back and defend myself. I did feel attacked! I didn't want to come back, but slowly I realized like most of you I come on here for advice. I obviously do look up to some of you, but then again some people can be rude. I shouldn't take it personal, but I did. I came on here for support and instead I felt horrible, worse than to begin with. I ended up slipping at a party and haven't been back here since. I do check the website on my phone, but I can't send out a full response like I wanted to.

I guess I should've explained a bit better, but I wasn't thinking then. I just wanted to get responses, I wanted to feel better, and in the process I made it sound like I was competting with the other teacher while doing the same thing.

I do come online while my students are reading. I encrouage 10 minutes of reading time in my class. I read with them as well, however, if I do forget my book or newspaper I go online to read the newspaper. Sometimes I go online to view their responses on Edmodo.com. My students as well as my administration is aware of my online time. I look for websites that we are goign to use in class that morning. Where we work, we have a bad connection. Half the time our internet is down. If this happens and I plan to use a website for teaching purposes, then I have to use my back up plan that won't need internet.

I do not use the internet for anything else. It has always and will always be for student/teaching purposes. I never once stated I went online to PERSONAL uses. I have no other reason to come online for. I do all my grades, lesson plans, and grading at home or during my prep time.

As for texting, some teachers have their phone on vibrate or low ring for emergencies. I keep my phone on silent at all times. I would rather receive a text and read it when I have time. Yes, I do check the phone when we are switching classes. I have a bipolar nephew who I am raising. If my husband or my niece text me, I have to deal with that situation. Our intercoms do not work and I am the farthest from the office. My principal knows about my situation and it is approved by her for that reason only, since we do not have a class phone either. No, my husband cannot wait to let me know if my nephew is on his way to receive services. My family knows I will deal with it when I have time, not instantly. Its easier that way.

Now I didn't know I had to explain this before asking for a little support. I was down at that time. I haven't felt like I "fit" in here for a while, but I am determined to improve who I am and I feel many of you are wise and thats what keeps me coming here. I don't believe I have ever plain out attacked anyone, but if I have I am sorry. I do not mind the constructive critisism, but that wasn't what I was getting. Maybe I am a bit more sensitive than most, but thats what makes me ME.

I hope I can put this behind me, because I sure have a lot more questions that I would love answered. :)

37. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2010

:hugs:

38. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2010

I think that helps

I for one didn't think the online or texting was that bad (I assumed it was a minimum and necessary).
    Before cell phones I would get calls from the Babysitter and the office would have to send an aid to my room to watch my students while I had to "travel" to the office and find out that one of my step daughters had split their lip open on the jungle gym.
    When I had my cell I would get the call for the high school telling me my Step daughter had skipped a class or two.

As Cerek Said it sometimes takes years for kids to acknowledge a teacher. Since I have retired, I am on Facebook and Classmates, I have received about 45-50 emails or PMs telling me that I was their favorite teacher. Some of my first students are now in their early 50s (I was 22 when I started teaching so some of my first students were 16 -18 years old) really all it takes is one to say they thought you were the coolest or greatest teacher and you can carry that around for a good many years.

39. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 28, 2010

Definitely keep coming back, Sweet Latina! There are more nice people on this board than mean-spirited ones (and even the nice ones can get cranky from time to time... we're all human). But I believe this board is what we all make it. If we want support, we need to be supportive. If we want respect, we need to be respectful. You are both (supportive and respectful) so ignore those who aren't. :)

40. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 28, 2010

Sweetlatina, I hope you keep coming back. I admire you so much for the work you do and how much you care for the students. Besides, I need you to keep posting because I don't want to be the only latina here. :hugs: