A life skills special ed room - IN PROGRESS.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 9, 2010.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

Lol at least she's resourceful.

That's insane!!

Get an oscillating tower fan... Best purchase ever.

2. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

LOL... bright girl :). Good luck with that. I have a boy who does this but somehow its not as big of a deal if a boy takes of his shirt as it would be for a girl to do the same. :lol:

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

How does it save the board money? Does the agency pay their salaries? What is in it for the agency?

4. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

What if you give her a card to show you when she is too hot, it could say something like, I am too hot!, or I am hot, I need a drink of water please. Have you seen those inexpensive personal fans? maybe she needs one of those?

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

We pay their salaries but the agency covers their benefits. I really can't figure out what is in it for them other than it is something else they can brag about.

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

98% done at this point. Just a couple more things to hang up and serious need to rearrange the desks.

[​IMG]
    Right now I have them in groups of two for whole group lessons. I'm just not sure. I'll have 7 students - two with a 1:1. And I've got 8 desks. ANY IDEAS???

[​IMG]
    My son went with me today and was BORED STIFF. Notice the crossed legs. :lol:

[​IMG]
    My "not desk." Notice I still have crapped piled up. Just now it's on the small group work table instead of a desk! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    This area is done. Later I'll put their Reading Workshop work up on the BB.

[​IMG]
    I was so proud of myself yesterday. I got my computers up and running all by myself without having to bother the computer guru! My son tried one out today.

Okay gang... tomorrow's it, then inservice, and then KIDDOS on Monday. :eek:

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 17, 2010

Oh I like it. Woo hoo for getting it all ready. I'm heading back to do a couple more things right now.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

Looks good zoom!! What about a u-shape with your desks?? That's what I do in my room. I'll show you pics on Thursday!

I have three tables made Into my own u shape (horseshoe-ish).
    It's Great for groups, teamwork, and really just keeps the kids connected.

9. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 17, 2010

You know what, that's actually not a bad idea at all, sk. Last year I could squeeze all my kids at the table for art projects and cooking but this year I'll have too many to do that with. Would be a great way to see everyone's work at the same time during whole group. I'LL DO IT! :woot:

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2010

It's great for delivering tokens/reinforcement, monitoring work/behavior, I can reach each kid!!!

I'll show you pics on Thursday.

11. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

Okay, stick a fork in me. I'm done. Just added a few things on the walls and changed the desk arrangement. Pretty ready for kiddos on Monday! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arranged my U this way so that there are two spots in each corner for a 1:1 to sit. (Notice the chairs.) Wasn't sure about that but hey, everyone needs to sit for a little while, right?

12. btteach

btteach Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

Zoom, your room looks really organized. A question?

Your shelves filled with containers and binders labeled "Work Station" - 'Reading' and 'Math' -how do you use the labeled tubs on the shelves? Do teaching staff grab a container and take to a student's independent work station, their desk or???
    Also, re: your labeled containers, do you have 1 activity + directions in each tub so staff know what to do with the materials when they take it to their desk?
    Sorry for all the questions-I am switching to a new school & new grade level this school year and wanted to see if I could find a way to organize math and language arts work so aides can tell what should be worked on & all materials for each task stay together.
    Thanks,
    btteach

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

Hey no problem, ask away!

Here's how I do work stations. I do reading for 60 mins and math for 45 mins each day. The reading segment is separated into three 20 minute sessions. The math is two 22 minute sessions. The first week of school, I'll do informal testing on each student to find out where they're at cognitively. After that, they'll be assigned to a "color" for both math and reading. One student may be blue for math and green for reading or sometimes they'll be the same. Blue = preschool, Green=K, Yellow=1st grade, Red=2nd grade.

Then I have a chart that looks like this:
    [​IMG]

When I say "Okay teams, please go to your work stations," - they look at the chart (they pick this up quickly) and go to the shelves to get their station. Meanwhile, I'll ALWAYS have a color group come to my table for small group. It's like centers - but more age appropriate.

Regarding the bins - - those bins you see on the top - those are "work jobs." So there's sorting, matching, folding, etc. Each bin has step-by-step instructions with photos - pretty cut and dry. But they usually need help at first until they know what to do. I also have file folder games in magazine holders that I don't have out yet, as well as work folders with work sheets in them (that I also still have to put out. *SIGH* So much to do still!)

(By the way, in the picture above, all the math work station cards are flipped over, which meant that on that particular day, we must have gone to an assembly during math time or something.)

Did I answer all your q's? Let me know if you have more. ;)

14. btteach

btteach Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Zoom,

Thanks for answering all my questions. Your room is super organized. I am aspiring to this.:)

15. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

Thanks! I'm pretty good at classroom organization. Now if only I could get that teaching part down... ;)