A life skills special ed room - IN PROGRESS.

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ZoomZoomZOOM, Aug 9, 2010.

1. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

Wow! m2m...what wonderful opportunities that space allows for your program! I've not seen a classroom that has provided for all of those needs in one location. All of ours (even at our seperate sp ed school) are separate areas, so if its PT time they have to go somewhere, if its changing/toileting time, they have to 'find' a suitable private space (in the nurse's office).

You are truly blessed with this environment!

2. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 13, 2010

I was thinking the same thing. I've seen BUILDINGS that furnish all the "changing rooms" and "sensory rooms" - but not a single classroom. VERY nice.

Today I worked on my "NOT DESK" area. It's coming together...
    [​IMG]

And I hung a few things on the walls.
    [​IMG]

Still a long way to go... but it's getting there. :)

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 13, 2010

There are advantages to having all of those things be seperate areas as at times it can get a bit crazy when you are trying to do PT work with a couple of students in the PT area and then cooking with a couple in the kitchen and then have a few in between that you want to be doing quiet and focused seat work.

I am not complaining... I love the room and all it has to offer but there are days where it is completely insane with all the different stuff going on in there. Yet if I had the choice to seperate it all I don't think that I would because there way more advantages than disadvantages.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

m2m - I know you've said this in the past, but how many kids and how many adults will you have this year?

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

I think she has ten kids and nine assistants? 1:1

6. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

Yes - 10 kids and 9 assistants and myself. I will have to put up pictures from this year as the room there was set up for 8 kids with 5 in chairs with trays and now I need more table space because I have 10 kids with 3 in chairs with trays so it changes layout a bit.

I have one little guy who is grade 1 age who will spend a large part of his morning in the grade 1 classroom (with me doing most of the modifications for him) with his learning assitant. I also have one older student (grade 10) who does community based programming every afternoon (flyer delivery 2 times, recreation once and a work placement the other 2) so him and that learning assistant are out in the afternoon. This means a majority of the time its 9 students and 8 learning assistants and myself in the room.

7. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

Yeah I thought you said something crazy like that. I was trying to find that para thread you started. Didn't you start another one where you were talking about the para increase? I just found out I'll be getting two new 1:1's in addition to my classroom para. So that'll be four adults and seven kids - and you've seen the size of my room... And no freakin' air conditioning. Jeesh...

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

OMG NO AIR CONDITIONING?

Game over for me!!!

9. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

We don't have air conditioning either and its really scarey as I have one student who has some major heart issues and is not supposed to get overheated :(.

Having a lot of adults in the room definately comes with both good and bad.

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2010

How is that allowed???

Man, I'm feeling luckier and luckier by the minute!!! Who cares what kids I have, what paras I have, what room I'm in . Lol.

I have air conditioning!!!

11. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

We are supposed to be getting air conditioning and the electrician guys have been there for almost 2 years now working on it but I'm starting to think its never going to happen - lol. There are days where the no airconditioning is completely horrible but we have pretty good air flow in our room so that helps.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

Well, it is already a gong show at my school and the students won't be here until Tuesday:eek:. Every single student in my school has been diagnosed with a severe emotional/behavioral disability. The agency that is providing all of the assistants has told them that they are not to put any student in the time out room and if a teacher chooses to use the time out room, they are not to assist us or watch the child. They suggested taking volatile students for walks in the hallway:help: Now all but 6 of their assistants quit at the end of the school year due to the way they are treated, so we have 10 new assistants at my school that do not know our students and only 5 of those assistants have worked with elementary aged children. My school board is against this and they are in talks with this agency but who knows if a compromise will be made by Tuesday. The agency is awful, so I'm hoping that they would either kick them out this year or at the end of the year. We pay their salary, so the only money issue with the board taking over is benefits.

13. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 14, 2010

Yikes! What a mess. How come an agency provides learning assistants for your school? That seems odd.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 14, 2010

I think the board is trying to save money. It is really weird. The same agency is in a couple of other schools but they are high schools, so if a student runs, they let them. We have to follow them -- we are right off of a major highway and have had students run down the highway.

15. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

It's insane. I have two ceiling fans, a large floor fan supplied by the school, and a tiny fan I brought myself. There is absolutely no air flow though and our heat indexes have been up to 110 lately. It's so bad that I've only been able to work in there for 3-4 hour periods before it's just too miserable to stay anymore.

SO... I got my own room. But it's one of the hottest in the building. And I just found out that one of my new 6th graders removes her clothing if she gets too hot. :eek: