A letter of reference...reminding again?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by McKennaL, Jan 21, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jan 21, 2010

{Fore note: I know that this seems as if it should be in the job seeker area. But this is a question for teachers and CURRENT workers...not directed towards those LOOKING for a job}

I just recently finished a LTS assignment. As I was leaving I asked the teacher who I worked with the most and knew my work the best to write me a letter of rec. and be a reference. She said sure (though she had something that she had to do in a few days and would write it afterward. Fine). I also wrote to the principal with the same request. (I also wrote to the teacher i replaced. She said she would be happy to write about the transitions...but as for the actual teaching-she hadn't seen me. I mentioned that "No, that's fine. I have the two others writing about the day to day teaching, but it might look odd if i didn't have something from the ACTUAL teacher that I replaced.)

I have gotten nothing from any of them. And now i NEED to get my applications out there. I need to do more than SAY I did this (and did so well) I need to SHOW some letters and list some references!

I realize that the longer the distance from when I was there the less likely it is that they will remember the things I did (and they are SO busy - this school doesn't let grass grow under it's feet). So I am worried. To come out of this LTS assignment with nothing would be ...so shattering!

Current teachers (and administrators) - please answer this:

You are busy at your jobs... but How does/should one press this without being a pain? And how soon or how late (it's been about a week and a half after the request-and as for the other teachers...they wrote with a request for some pictures I took to be sent to them, and I sent them...but no letter to me))? E-mail or phone message? And to the busy principal? How do I press that?

If I am to go ANYWHERE with this... I need those letters and references.

If it were YOU being ASKED to write...and for one reason or not you forgot or were delayed... how/when would YOU prefer/mind being reminded that didn't come off as ...offensive.

REALLY in a quandary here... and running out of time!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2010

Contact the people you asked, let them know you are now putting together your application packages and tell them you are dropping off self-addressed stamped envelopes for them...thank them profusely. Then follow up with an email telling them you dropped off the envelopes.

In my district, the district office wanted NEW letters of rec...I had letters in my portfolio, and copies in my package, but when hired, they wanted NEW letters mailed directly to them...keep that possibility in mind.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 21, 2010

I would suggest calling and stating a specific deadline that you need the reference in order to mail an application in by. I know that when I'm over worked and need to do something for someone else I am likely to put it off. But if I know there's a specific deadline, you bet I'll have it done by then. So maybe call on Monday and say you need it by Thursday and ask if that would be possible.

5. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 22, 2010

I agree with the above. Personally, I would go way out of my way to help someone get going with their teaching. I feel it is part of being a professional - you help others going into the same profession. However, I also know how swamped I get, how demanding teaching is, that I can't remember ANYTHING throughout the school day besides the next hour. So I would appreciate a reminder. The email is a great idea, because it is there everytime you open your account, reminding you.

Go for it!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2010

I would drop them a short handwritten note.

With me, it's out of sight, out of mind. But if I have a memo or a note reminding me, it gets done.

7. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Feb 7, 2010

McKenna, I appreciate you asking this. I'm starting to feel like my student teaching references are too out-of-date... but they're my only Elem references.