A kid brought a loaded gun to my son's school last week...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by old-new teacher, Jan 18, 2009.

1. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

:eek::eek::eek: I am just beside myself about it! I guess he asked a girl out, who rejected him, and he was planning on shooting her boyfriend and possibly her. I live in a smallish city (about 30,000 people) in a very rural area, and I've always felt so insulated and safe from this type of thing...I feel very violated! My son seems so unfazed by it...

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 18, 2009

OMG!! What happened to the kid with the gun?????

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 18, 2009

The second part of what you said scares me.

My son was put up against a bathroom stall on his first day at a new school by his neck. That's right. Some bully held him against the stall by his neck. He seemed PROUD of himself because he handled it without showing fear. He didn't seem to think it was too big of a deal. I was beside myself.

5. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 18, 2009

Oh my goodness! What is wrong with kids nowadays?!

6. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

Well, an interesting twist to the story, which amazes my son, is that the boy's best friend is the one who informed the principal about the gun. The boy passed him a note during class saying that the girl who rejected him needed to "just shut her mouth" and then later, sent him another notes saying he hadn't decided whether or not he was going to let her live or not!!!:eek:hmy: My son is just amazed that his best friend would do that to him...I keep telling him that his best friend TRULY acted as a best friend that day...it could have been so much worse that it turned out! I don't know what's going to happen to him. He was arrested at school and removed....I don't know what will happen from here. District policy states that he will be expelled...I don't know if that will be permanent or not...

I hope he gets help! He sounds like a very disturbed young man.:unsure:

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

Never, ever should he enter a regular public school again. Period.

8. 'Lizbeth

'Lizbeth Rookie

Jan 18, 2009

Wow.... it is scary to hear this. How old is your son, or how old was the boy who brought the gun to school? I am glad that nothing worse happened.

9. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

Yes, the momma bear in me says the same thing...but at the same time, this kid is just 14. He needs some intense psychiatric help. But then what do you do with him? There is that part of me that cries for kids like this because he has created such a life-long mess for himself. I hope he has some adult, whether it be a parent, relative or court advocate that will care enough to get him the help he needs and then see to it that he is able to adjust to life outside of whatever institution he will be spending the rest of his time in from here on out. We have a boy's juvenile detention school that I am almost certain he will end up being sent to, but I wonder what will become of him after that... I don't want him near my son, but I do hope that he can find his way into a normal life some day.

10. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 18, 2009

How in the world did a 14 year old get access to a loaded gun????
    OMG!!!!

Kids don't think of things actually happening to them. Just like with drinking and driving--it happens to others, not to them. I was the same way, but that was in the 80's. It is sad.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

Absolutely, he needs to be evaluated and treated. But then, he should either be sent to an alternative school or his parents must find another source of education, such as home schooling. There are simply some actions that result in irreversible, nonnegotiable consequences. I was a freshman at fourteen. We are not talking about an eight year old child. My heart bleeds for him as well, it really does, but that emotion cannot get in the way of justice and safety.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2009

I agree with Justme. Get him help, but keep him out of public schools...

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

My grandson's school had a campus shooting. The community kept it a low profile, as they thought heavy media coverage would create more problems. I agree, my grandson's reaction was casual. The shooter got sent to prison.

The victum was a bully, and the shooter wanted it to stop.

14. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

In some areas, private schools wouldn't take him either - especially for that reason.

15. reverie

reverie Companion

Jan 19, 2009

Wow, I hope he gets some help.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2009

As they shouldn't. I wouldn't expect for a private school to accept a person who was comtemplating/intending to murder someone. We have a local school for only boys who have sexual or criminal histories...that would be ideal because they receive an education and the counseling they need.

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 19, 2009

That boy's best friend is a brave and strong child. At fourteen it would be very hard for any kid to turn in their best friend for any reason. I hope he is not ostracized for turning in his friend or being the boy's friend.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2009

:eek:

19. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2009

That is SOOOO sad! Seriously- what is going on with these kids????? :( I'm so sorry that this happened and I hope that boy gets the real help he needs.