A Job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by SpaceAngel, Aug 11, 2005.

1. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 23, 2005

well good luck. Hope you find out today!

2. glassartist

glassartist Rookie

Aug 25, 2005

Dear space angel,
    Hi I met you yesterday at the inservice. I was hired to be the curriculum director. Remember me? Stacy called me last night and I passed on some of the questions you guys had, like when were you going to be able to see and decorate your rooms, and that some of you had questions in regards to receiving your contracts, etc...General but important questions. She said that the director of the school would be at the inservice today, answered the questions that I had and we ended the conversation. Much to my surprise at 11:45pm last night I received an e-mail terminating my job, stateing that I didn't have a positive attitude, and they did not want to extend me a contract. So, please be careful. Please pass on to the other teachers that I enjoyed meeting them and I am disappointed we will not be working together. By the way stacy told me that you guys would be able to get in your rooms Sept. 1 & 2. Because you will have another training day then.

3. glassartist

glassartist Rookie

Aug 25, 2005

Hello,
    I met you yesterday at the inservice, I was the curriculum director. Notice the was,check out my other comment to space angels comments. The chief of staff and a board representative will be at the inservice today. It was nice meeting you.

4. gvbesouw

gvbesouw New Member

Sep 11, 2005

How is the job going?

Hi,

Just wanted to know how the job is going at Weems School. I am a Teacher Assistant at a school in Cleveland and am hoping for a regular teaching position soon.

Thanks,

Gvbesouw

5. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 11, 2005

We actually lost the second and third grade teachers on Friday. It's rough so far, but I think it will get better.

6. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 12, 2005

:confused: Did they quit? Why?

7. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 12, 2005

Wow...what's happening at your school?

8. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 12, 2005

They quit. They couldn't take it. It's a very challenging environment. The kids can be....difficult.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 12, 2005

I wish teachers would quit here LOL.
    I am up for the challenge

10. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 13, 2005

LOL me too Jaime :)

11. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 14, 2005

I have six good kids. Out of 22. THere might be a couple of others who have POTENTIAL to not be hellians.

12. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

:wow: Congratulations people who just got jobs and for those of who interviewed and still got nothing, don't give up the faith because God has a job for you and when it's time for you to get a job you will!
    To JaimeMarie, thank God you have a job as a teacher's aid (or ed tech whatever you called it) considering how many people wish and pray for any job. Case in point: I subbed for the past three years (two years at my parish's alternative school) and only made 3,000 dollars those years. I applied for the teacher's aid job at the alternative school, got the interview, and the job which pays 5 times more than I made subbing. Thank God! I want my own class someday too, and I believe that when God is ready for me to have my own class I will pass the PRAXIS series of tests and get into the alternative certification program. All that to say be happy with what you got, work towards what you want, and in God's time you'll get it! :angel:

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 15, 2005

Thanks Chava,
    That stinks you didn't make very much subbing. I made about the same subbing just didnt' get any benefits. This is my fourth year as an aide, I'm getting rather sick of it. I want to buy a house start a family and so on. I am 30 years old so I finally feel ready to do it. Just can't finacincially.
    Hopefully soon I'll find something.
    Did I tell everyone that I have the "naughty kids" again this year (well a different one) why do I always gets the behavior problems?

14. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Sep 15, 2005

Because your so good at it ;) ! At least that's what they use to tell me!

15. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 16, 2005

JaimeMarie, I work with the naughty kids with behavior problems on a daily basis and we know their bad because the school is an alternative setting with drill instructors, a behavioral interventionalist, and police men that search the kids during intake! So please don't feel like you're by yourself!

16. moomoo8960

moomoo8960 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005

EXCITED & NERVOUS

Hello Everyone!

I finally got a teaching job!!! :D I will be teaching 4th grade/ reading. I am really very nervous, mostly about being effective! I realize that the first year is tough so please pray for your fellow teacher!!!!!!!!! :angel:

17. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Sep 19, 2005

Congrats! You'll do fine! Have confidence in yourself!

18. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

YEA YEA MooMoo! Congrats on your job and you're gonna be very effective! :angel:

19. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 22, 2005

Hey new teachers, read "The First Days of School" it will help! Also, make sure that you are familiar with students with special education IEPS in the classroom and other students with accommodations and modifications as well.

Congratulations

Troy in Ca (Aspie teacher)

20. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 23, 2005

Today was the worst day ever.

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Sep 23, 2005

Why? What happened?

22. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 24, 2005

SpaceAngel, don't leave us in suspense. Please tell us what happened? Is the reason so many of the teachers there have quit?

23. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 25, 2005

My class was awful. We got nothing done. Not math. Not reading. Not a bathroom break. They don't listen, they don't obey, I can't talk over them, they don't care if I talk quietly adn they can't hear me, they don't care about earning or losing privleges...they move around the room, pick fights with each other, break and throw crayons...they don't care if you give them extra homework or call their parents or send them to the office....I am the end of my bag of tricks.

24. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 25, 2005

Now I'm really curious--what kind of a charter school is this? What is the criteria for admission? At my school, there are waiting lists for every grade...and the principal is very supportive of teachers and difficult kids/families. So I'm wondering if maybe these folks rushed into getting this school up and running without a lot of planning...My heart goes out to you! It's difficult enough starting a new job without having the ability to actually teach. I really hope things turn around soon for you.

25. gvbesouw

gvbesouw New Member

Sep 26, 2005

Teaching in Cleveland

Hi,

All I can say is that in the 2000-2001 I taught 3rd grade in a Cleveland School (not a charter but similar students) and went home very exhausted and sad every day. Everything I learned in school and LIFE didn't seem to work. I learned to NOT take it personally but I still had many a sleepless night worrying about the kids. I'm not sure what the answer is but after that year I had my son and stayed home for 4 years. I'm back in the teaching field and luckily am in a suburban district. My whole perspective about teaching has changed. I never see any discipline problems, mainly because of all the severe problems that I saw in the urban Cleveland district, nothing is major. I think every teacher should experience teaching in an urban district - it will change their whole perspective. There are many excellent teachers out there trying their best in urban districts and getting burned-out fast. I wish I knew the answer to keep good teachers in these districts.

gvbesouw

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 27, 2005

Your in first grade right? Maybe we can all brain storm ideas to help you. Let us know what you have tried.
    Do you use the clap signal or another method to get the students attention.
    One that I like (saw another teacher use) was he brought music to school he would have it playing softly during work and free time. Music changed depending on what he was having the students work on. When he wanted their attention he would turn the music up fairly loud. This was the signal for all to be quiet. It worked. Then he would give directions.

27. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 27, 2005

I have tried clapping...some of the kids respond, most dont. I have tried putting one hand up and one hand on my lips...the same kids respond, the same dont. I have even tried a whistle! I have tried lights out. I have music playing, but even if I put something on pretty loud, and a blarey piece at that (think the opening notes of the Star Wars theme), they get so loud, it can't even be heard.

Today I started sending home behavior reports on EVERYONE. If the child has stayed on green all day, they have a stamp. If not, there is space to note which rules were forgotten. My rules are:
    1. Stay in your seat.
    2. Keep your hands, feet and objects to yourself.
    3. Respect property.
    4. Respect others.
    5. Follow directions.

It does make me feel slightly better to know it isn't just me. And, they really are trying to weed out the problem kids...it's just going to take sometime, I think...today was only day 15. I keep telling myself it can only get better.

28. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 27, 2005

:love: SpaceAngel,
    Sounds to me like you have a lower elementary charter school class! :eek:
    Depending in what grade level you have you must first present a very no nonsense attitude! Don't smile, laugh, or joke with the students at all until you've established that you're the boss and when you say something that's exactly what you know they are going to do or expect them to do with no questions asked! The students should know that you mean business and anything that's not business will not be tolerated. Re-establish the rules and if they don't do what you tell them to do, take away things they like (ie priviledges) such as recess, p.e., computer, free time, etc. When you do that, have dictionary or spelling words for them to define or write 10 times each just for example considering I don't know what grade level you teach. I read somewhere that writing is a punishment for students!!! Hope these suggestions help :angel:

29. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 27, 2005

Your rules sound very reasonable and very age appropriate. From what I understand from other new first grade teachers the first 3-5 weeks are extremely trying and are sanity breakers. But then you reach a break through and things do get better. Keep being consistent and very structured. They will come around. 2]Send weekly newsletters with classroom assignments and your expectations . 3] Be sure that you send a "behavior" contract home that must be signed by their parents, therefore giving you written proof that you have discussed you classroom management info with the parents. Stick with the belief that they must be responsible and be held accountable for their own actions. If the kids don't turn it in, at recess they walk laps without talking, if they talk, they get silent lunch, if they continue to disregard your rules, then you must get them to : recognize what it is that they are doing is wrong and what THEY are going to do to fix it... in other words own up to their actions and come up with an alternative answer to their situation. If they can't tell you what it was they did wrong, back step for them through everything that they had done, then ask them if there was a better way to say, not hit Johnny up side of the head, couldn't they have gone around the other side of the room and if they had they wouldn't be in trouble/ have a referral/be sitting in the office.... If they can't come up with a reason why they are breaking the rules.... Hate tosay it, but they just aren't being made to own up to their misactions ....ever. Oddly enough there alot of kids who really don't know what it is they did wrong, they're just doing what they always have done and repeat it over againand againand again, until they get the reaction they want, which is to do what ever they want, they whine/make the adult "giveIn"... thus never learning an alternative action to their misdeeds.
    4]Try reading a book called "love and Logic[/I". It explains it very well. An added benefit is you no longer have to go home with migraines from fussing,worrying. You have put the albatross of responsibility on their own shoulders, not yours.
    Take some time for yourself!!! Don't bury yourself in the daily grind, you will burn out quicker. (believe me, I speak from experience!) Find someone you can use as a mentor,buddy at the school. Who's national certified? Who is the 1/2 really good teachers that are recommended to observe by either your administration, or fellow staff members. then be sure to go to them and pick their brains, flatter them by asking their advice, compliment their areas of expertice, etc... Don't worry if some of these"great" ideas don't work for you, you are a very special, gifted individual whom the administration thought enough to hire over other candidates!!
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.

30. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 27, 2005

Most of us are brand new teachers...the whole school is brandnew..on the upside, I am amazingly cheerful for someone who's days are as hectic as mine. I checked the local libraries for Love and Logic, but it isnt in any of the ones close by, and I don't know where the other ones are, except that they are nearly an hour away. I haven't had time to stop in and requst it.

31. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Sep 27, 2005

I would take a data collection of the most common and disruptive behaviors. I would determine when they occur the most to see what the triggers are and what the intent of the behavior is being used. It will help you determine what kind of intervention would assist you in this situation. You need to document everything that you can when you have the time. I know it's a lot of paperwork, but there are parents out there looking for a free-ride by suing the school for whatever they can. I have had this experience in the past quite a few times. I called their bluff, and they had egg on their faces. I also know that there are some parents who have difficulty with disciplining their child. Some kids need PUNISHMENT as well. Determine what is the most reinforcing to your students and delay the reinforcement as much as possible for not following the rules. I'm learning even in MY ROOM, that some kids will try to stand up to you just for attention and not just for not wanting to complete the assigned task. I will say this, I REFUSE TO TOLERATE HITTING of another student by one unless it's during self-defense. I know this is a lot to write, but I hope it helps. I am also aware that your students have severe behaviors. I would start with a visual schedule so that you don't have to use your voice to re-direct the students. I would also make an effort to "ignore" and refuse to "listen" to the cussing, whining, ect. I know it's tough, but these kids will use any tactic to get their way. If a student becomes physically aggressive, you have no other alternative but to protect yourself and you won't be liable for a lawsuit. I would document EVERY DAY that you are not provided support staff, your input for help, the results of this input (exactly what you are told), there are people who will say "I wasn't informed about this, when, where, ect!" I would also document any severe behavior incidents as well. Just keep documenting the days that you are denied help and support and the results of what will happen. I hope this helps.

Troy

32. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 28, 2005

Look up the Love and Logic webiste. Maybe they are going to have a conference near you. I also like Kagan's stuff but his is more for cooperative learning.

33. msm123

msm123 Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

Finally I can say I have a job to. I went to sub the other day and the principal asked me if I would like to be a 3/4th grade resource teacher for math/reading. I couldnt believe it, Its a replacement till january or longer. The teacher was only in for 4 days in the begining so all the students have had are subs. I cant wait finally. I still pray for everyone out there looking that they will get one. I have to thank everyone on this site for great support. Thanks

34. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 28, 2005

Good luck!! 3rd and 4th graders are great aren't they? Though I am middle school (4-9) I enjoy younger ones too. You will have so much fun. I am jealous :)

35. msm123

msm123 Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

It is fun!! All I know is middle grades to 6-8 and babies from the daycare so this should be a good expirence.

36. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 28, 2005

I don't know what attendance is going to be like for awhile.....students from antoehr school threw rocks at one of our buses (kids were on it) and it cannot be used utnil it is fixed. I have four or five kids on that bus.

37. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

Job!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your First Grade!!

You are the Winner! Have a fantastic year ahead :eek: :eek:

Mitzi :eek: !

38. gvbesouw

gvbesouw New Member

Sep 28, 2005

Good Book - Ms. Moffett's First Year: Becoming a Teacher in America

I read the above-referenced book this summer and it really gives some
    good ideas for teachers in urban school districts. It is written by a new
    New York City teacher teaching first grade. Another excellent book I read is called, Why Can't You Behave. It gave some good ideas regarding discipline.

gvbesouw :)

39. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

A Job!!!!!!

Space Angel,

My response of "Congratulations and have a fantastic year!" was in response to page 1 . After it was posted, I realized many of you at the Charter School were experiencing great diffifulties with the students. So I wanted to put an addition to the first reply. (My computer just got repaired so I've been out of touch with atozteacher stuff for awhile. Hope you understand.......

My Principal last year was very good and she did comment that I was too, too kind to the children. She told me to "toughen up" which she knew would be hard for me.

I'm reading 1-2-3 Magic and it is excellent. I am hoping to get the book,
    Smart Disciopline by Koenig. Can't recall his first name...maybe someone can.
    Her best advice was be consistent. I know I wear down when there are so many that have problems.

Maybe, make a list of their names and what you plan to do the next day with each one re:discipline. Almost like a lesson plan. Best of Luck!!

Mitzi :rolleyes:

40. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Sep 29, 2005

I also have checked that book out, Ms Moffet's First Year. Maybe its just me, but I really had a hard time getting past the reporter talk to find out what it was she actually did in the classroom and how she handled the situations that came up. I will say this some of the descriptions hit alittle too close to home for me at times. The "rosey picture" that was told to them initially... The condition of the school... to name two. Maybe I will go back and try again. Thanks for the reference points- the book titles.