A Job question

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by newprschteacher, Jan 10, 2010.

1. newprschteacher

newprschteacher Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

Hi teachers,

For those of you who feel that I am in the wrong section -- I am sorry. As my question relates to the preschool/childcare center segment I chose to post here.

Due to a family situation I have to move to San Diego from NC in the next couple of months. I have been searching Craigslist and not finding many job advertisements. I send my resume to some childcare centers/preschools but did not get any response at all. It will be of immense help if I could get any information regarding the job market scenario out there. I have some money saved and rent will be taken care of as I will be living with family.

Thanks in advance

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2010

I can say with no exaggeration the job picture here is horrible. A fellow teacher has been looking and there has been nothing good but the child development classes are packed with people trying to go into the field. The jobs that have opened have been very low pay. If you know people it helps. There seem to be Head Start jobs as their turnover is high. As you have seen there isn't much right now - I teach in a public program and had 6 new families last week all saying they could no longer afford private preschool. Many private schools are having problems with low enrollment. I don't mean to be a wet blanket but it is tough.

4. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Jan 12, 2010

Try the local school districts. My center is through a school, and many in my area have on site preschool or prek. The pay is usually better, as they are union. Our district provides the application to all to see, so you may be considered for a para. or other position. Good Luck!