A good use of money...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newbie87, Apr 30, 2010.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

There are many things I've seen while student teaching for the school I'm in and thought, what a waste of money. I'm not going to list them all, but this takes the cake. Next year, they're going to be letting teachers go and increasing class size, but every room is going to have a smartboard and laptops. :rolleyes: You really need new technology with no one to teach it.

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2010

I would agree except that there's a big difference between buying a $3,000 smartboard that will allow a teacher to differentiate for a larger group while keeping them engaged and paying a teacher $40,000 a year.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 30, 2010

Also, keep in mind that schools function with several different budgets. There are personnel budgets, and facilities budgets, and general funds. Teachers' salaries and technology come from different budgets. And, it is highly possible that a grant could be paying for the new technology.

My school had to RIF one teacher this year, yet we are going one-to-one. It seems counterproductive, but it's all about where the money is, not if it is there.

5. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Apr 30, 2010

Smartboard, or not, there is a certain size imo when you can't keep students engaged. 3,000 adds up when you count all the ones they're going to install.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 30, 2010

kcjo13 is correct. Think about it like a pie case. There might be ten pies with pieces missing. So while I might 4 full pies, that might be mixed pies. We are building and furnishing a new building. But we will also be RIFing ten teachers--or not replacing retired teachers. We will also be putting computers and technology in it that is being paid for in the bond.

Sometimes the money that is offered by the government has limits on how and what it is spent.

7. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 30, 2010

Yep, we also get money from the state, local bonds, and grants that is accounted for before we even get the money and often years in the making before we even know about budgets for staff. We have to use the money the way we said we were going to, it does seem odd at times, but it is the way of accounting.

8. TechGuy

TechGuy Rookie

Apr 30, 2010

Technology is only as good as people are trained to use it. The money for technology also might have come from a different budget, sometimes specifically for technology

9. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 30, 2010

That reminds me of the one historic park around here. The buildings were on the verge of being marked condemned- the porch was falling off the house, only one person could walk on the stair case at at a time, etc.
    And they installed a state-of-the-art, not present in any other state or national park, 3 million dollar hologram that displayed a historical figures head talking for a few minutes.
    Ridiculous and seems about as wasteful as you can get, but the hologram money couldn't have been used to restore any parts of the buildings. (later on they did secure money for that and now you can walk around the buildings without a "guard" making sure that no two people walk near the same place at the same time)

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 30, 2010

Grant funds are very specific. The recipient is bound by what was in the grant proposal. If I write a grant that states that I want to put smartboards in every 9th grade classroom, then that's ALL I can do with the money. I can't put them in 10th grade classes, I can't send my teachers to training classes, I can't do anything but put those smartboards in those 9th grade rooms. Now, if I phrase my proposal a little differently, and say I want to put them in my High School, and then train the faculty to use them, then I'm free to put them anywhere in the school and have the money to send my faculty to training.

Government funded budgets work in a similar manner. I have X dollars to spend on teacher's salaries and Y dollars to spend on custodial staff. Now, lets say I have a fantastic head custodian, who really knows how to do a great job with a fraction of the money he has budgeted to him. Well, unfortunately, I can't move that moeny around, even if some other budget, say office supplies, ran out of money half way through the year. Either my custodian has to figure out a place to spend the money, or he loses it, and risks having his budget cut for the next year. It would be nice if he could just give it to the office budget, but his hands are tied.

Unfortunately, when you're dealing with large entities, like the state, this is what happens. Sometimes it doesn't make any sense, but it is the way it is.

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 30, 2010

Like others, I suspect the money for tech comes from a different pot than money for salaries.

12. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 1, 2010

That's often a "color of the money" issue.

We get funding from a variety of sources and it often comes with restrictions, including restrictions that say it can't go to pay salaries.

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 1, 2010

I agree. It sounds like this money was earmarked for technology.

Yes, it's stupid and wasteful and a horrible example to our kids about how to manage conflicting priorities.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 1, 2010

We have money set aside for technology that just goes away if we don't use it. It would be silly for us not to buy some Smartboards with it and get nothing. You can't transfer it or use it for anything else.

Yes, it's harder to teach a bigger class. But when you're a teacher and it's your job that's being saved by the measure, you might not complain so much! It's happening everywhere because they really are trying to save teachers' jobs where they can.

15. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 1, 2010

It does seem unfair and wasteful from a personal viewpoint. These situations always do, but the money couldn't be used elsewhere. I'm sure the school will benefit from the new technology.