A good reminder to all of us -- here is my "public service announcement"

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Sep 17, 2010.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 17, 2010

I live in a nice area but we've been having home burglaries from people who don't live around here so this was sent by our police department today in my email about what to look for when you're seeing something suspicious happening. I talk to people through the door if I don't recognize them and/or I'm alone still but wow, the comment about the women going around pretending they lost a cat is sad that they are stooping to that level because most people are willing to help a lost pet/child and will answer the door for that.

It's good to be prepared and alert, not paranoid. :thumb:

P.S. We know someone who had their 3rd floor broken into after he left for work (in a "bad" area) and had a lot of his expensive and meaningful things taken so he had to learn the hard way to take photos and write down the serial numbers of your things, etc. :eek:
    --------------------------
    Please remember when you see suspicious activity:

1. Call 911 immediately. Let the dispatcher know which city you’re in and what you’re reporting. Get a good description of what people are wearing, what direction they are traveling, what you saw, etc. If they are in a car, then a license plate (even if it’s only part of it) is extremely helpful. Stay calm and explain what you saw. For more tips on calling 911, click here. If you aren’t sure whether something is suspicious, call anyway—we’d much rather get a call and/or make a trip there and it be a false alarm than to have missed deterring more crime. We’ll help you decide if it’s suspicious.

2. Never put yourself in danger, or follow them, or let them know you are following them, and especially don’t tell them you are calling the police as they are walking away—this gives them a head start. Just concentrate on being a good witness. Observe and report.

3. Many residential burglaries occur by individuals knocking on the front door. If someone answers then they may ask for someone who they know doesn’t live there, pretend they accidentally knocked on the wrong door, try to sell something, etc. If nobody answers, then they will go to the side or back of the house and gain entry through unlocked doors or windows, and in some cases they will shatter them. Many times they will cut the screens to gain access to the windows, so be sure to keep them locked at all times if you aren’t home. If you don’t know the person knocking, talk to them through the door—that way they know somebody is home. One that has surfaced recently has been two females looking for a lost cat. They were in the south end of the city at least twice this week. If they knock on your door—politely tell them you haven’t seen it and then call 911 immediately. These people are usually not looking for confrontation, they are looking for empty homes.

4. If you’ re a victim, please call and report this immediately, even if nothing is stolen. Don’t enter your house if it looks as if someone has burglarized it, let us come and make sure it’s empty, gather any evidence, etc.

5. Most of the stolen property in these burglaries (similar in car prowls) consists of electronics and jewelry—video games, TVs, laptops, DVDs, anything they can sell for quick cash.

6. If you haven’t already done so, be sure to record information from all your valuables including serial numbers, make, model, etc. For jewelry—take pictures of the jewelry or of you wearing it. This allows us to link stolen property to specific burglaries and its rightful owner.

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2010

Refuse to be a victim

Just develop a mindset that says "I refuse to be a victim".... The link below will show you some ways NOT be a victim....... Sooooooo, don't be!!!

http://www.nrahq.org/rtbav/

Don't be a willing victim to the bad guys..... Trust me they are everywhere........ Protect yourselves.........:):):)

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 17, 2010

Several years ago a man kept knocking on my door inisting that his dog had gotten loose and was in our backyard. I kept telling him that it was impossible (without opening the door) but he came back until I finally called the police and and told him that the officer would check for him and he left. I never heard that anything happened with that same story, but it still scares me to think what might have happend if I had gone into the backyard alone!

Another gentler reminder - a lot of people are desparate right now, don't leave a purse or wallet sitting in the car while you pump gas, or "just run in" to the station or pick the kids up from daycare.

5. Major

Major Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2010

Good advise......... Several years ago while we were traveling cross country (it was in East St Louis) a bad guy took my wife's purse out of our car while we were pumping gas....... I caught the guy in about 50 yards, "dumped" him, and waited for the law...... By the time everything was cleared up it cost us about 4 hours of travel time....... (you don't want to spend much time in East St Louis)... You really can't be too careful.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 17, 2010

Very good reminders to keep our wits about us. :thumb: I don't really get any visitors to my house & if I do, I'm well aware the person's coming. If I'm not expecting anyone, good luck getting me to open the door. I'll pretend like I'm not home, in which I'll watch to see where the person goes & what they do next OR I'll talk through the door. Anything anyone says they "have" for me, I tell them to leave it at my gate & I'll get it later. I've only had to say that to Mormons or Jehovah Witnesses who want to leave religious material.

At one of the shopping malls I go to, they have signs that say to hide valuables/items you bought if you're going to keep them in your car.

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 17, 2010

Or even church pews! We've had several purses or wallets getting picked up when people went up for communion.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

In my last apartment we had college students going around selling magazines so they could go to Cancun all the time, and they were really pushy. So one night there was a knock on the door. I looked out the peephole and it looked like another young guy so I ignored it. He knocked again in a few minutes and I just ignored it again - I figured he was just being pushy like usual. Then I saw him TURN the DOORKNOB. Luckily the door was locked. At that point I yelled "Who is it?" in a really nasty tone. And he was like "I am looking for Chris." And I said "You have the wrong apartment." and he left.

I suppose if he was supposed to meet a friend he would knock a couple times and if no one answered he would try to let himself in, especially if they had plans to meet and he just had the wrong apartment.

But I always wondered if he was just trying to get in to the apartment. Kind of scary.

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

I am bad about leaving mine in the cart and walking a couple feet away to look at something. Trying to break that habit.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 18, 2010

And a PS for all of us-- use the chances we find to teach our kids and our students to be careful.

Brian has started to express interest in the way we drive. So we try to take advantage of the opportunities to show him defensive driving. ("hey, Bri-- see that guy coming up on my left? Just watch, he's going to cut in front of me and zig around that car.")

In a similar manner, we need to teach our kids how not to be victims-- how to be aware of what's going on around them without becoming paranoid.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 18, 2010

I wouldn't answer the door for the ADT security guy the other day. :lol:

Thursday night someone broke into DH's vehicle and stole $50 and his bass guitar. There were four break-ins that night, and someone at another location got a description of the vehicle. DH is LIVID. He's not only missing his $50 and bass guitar, but he's out work money, too, since he's a musician and uses the guitar for work. He'd been to rehearsal and then had stopped by the hospital to visit his mom before going to his aunt's house to catch a few hours of sleep. That's when the guitar was stolen.

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 18, 2010

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry to read this. It's a shame when people steal. I would keep an eye on your local selling websites like Craigslist and even pawn shops or other places where someone might try to sell it. Maybe he can borrow one from a music shop until he can buy another one?

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 18, 2010

One of the guys he works with has one that he can borrow until he gets his. He called him to let him know today. Fortunately we have full replacement insurance that will cover a new one, but it will be awhile before we get that settled. I called the insurance company within a couple of hours, but we have to wait for the police to finish their investigation before we file the claim.

Luckily it was only the bass guitar. If he'd been getting back from a preformance instead of a rehearsal, he'd have had a bass, a guitar, his amp, and his wireless mic & monitor system all with him.

14. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

Be careful even among people you may trust! I had an Ipod stolen out of the bathroom of my home. The day we buried my grandmother. The only people around were family members. I suspect one of two young third cousins. :(

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

My DD just moved to a ground floor apartment. She has seen a prowler 3 times on her patio. The patios are all fenced, so no one should have a reason to be on it. One of the prowlers opened the window to her neighbors apartment and went in.

The police have been called each time, and they have responded quickly and searched.