A good novel for my 7th graders to read

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Mr.MiddleSchool, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

Hello All!

New teacher here! I teach 7th grade Language Arts and I absolutely love it so far.

I was wondering does anyone know of a novel that I can possibly teach during the 2nd semester?

Granted, I know that traditionally The Outsiders is taught in 6th and 7th grade (awesome book by the way! Never gets old. JMHO) but unfortunately its already been taught to them. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I'd like to stick with more traditional titles rather than go on the "newer" spectrum... The Giver, The Chocolate War, The Rag and Bone Shop, etc.

Has anyone used a novel that never fails to get their students attention and that they really enjoy?

thanks!

-Mr.MiddleSchool

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2009

It's an oldie, but when I taught 7th I couldn't get through the last chapter without tearing up: Where the Red Fern Grows.

500th post! Woot! :woot:

4. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

Pushcart Wars?

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 11, 2009

A View from Saturday

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jan 11, 2009

Hatchet

7. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

I read The Chocolate War the past two years with 7th and 8th graders and it has been a huge hit both times. It is similar in context to The Outsiders so that could lead to some compare and contrast activities. I would definitely recommend it. It just leads so seamlessly into great discusions.

8. catgirl595

catgirl595 New Member

Jan 14, 2009

how about "The Veiw From the Cherry Tree?" As a real student I loved that book and I recomend it to everyone.

9. jadej

jadej Rookie

Jan 14, 2009

The Indian in the Cupboard.

10. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

I've heard some good things about The Chocolate War but have never personally read it.

11. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

The thing is, I want a book that can be followed with "cool" during reading and after reading activities. I teach 102 kids, my biggest class being 27 kids. So, I need A. find a set of books and B. make sure the book is interesting. The only books right now that I have in my classroom (I just took over for a teacher who left) is The Outsiders, Where the Red Fern Grows, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn(which I have no intention in reading).

So yeah, that's my dilemma.

-Mr.MiddleSchool

12. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 14, 2009

I LOVE THAT BOOK.

13. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Why don't you want to read the Giver? It's an excellent book and can be used with some pretty interesting extension activities...conversations about utopia/dystopia, what an ideal society would look like, etc etc. I have a whole ten lesson unit plan for the Giver if you're interested...though it was done for a grad school assignment, and not for actual kids...

Huck Finn I think is usually taught in 9th grade. Chocolate War I've only seen read in a 10th grade below-level class. The stuff in that book seems a little too violent for 7th graders, but I just may be old-fashioned.

The Pushcart Wars would be great, too. If you could get enough copies of that and of the Giver, you could split the kids up and have half read one, half the other...and then have discussions about future societies and what our future holds for us.

14. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Jan 14, 2009

Tuck Everlasting is great too for 7th graders. You can get into some very interesting conversations about living forever.

15. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

yes, I would be interested in seeing that lesson plan unit...if you would be willing to share. Maybe you could send me a private message and we could discuss it.

-Mr.MiddleSchool

16. SpecialEdTeache

SpecialEdTeache Companion

Jan 15, 2009

In 2005/06 I had my regular LA class listen to The Giver on audio tape. They enjoyed listening with a partner and were remarkably pretty quiet for a rowdy bunch. Some of the kids thought it was a bit morbid and didn't like it. But, others were engaged in the discussion and had interesting things to contribute.

The Chocolate War I read in Adolescent Lit class last summer and I agree with Mr. MiddleSchool--it's really, imo and the class instructor said also, a 9th Grade up book because there is some pretty scary stuff in there.

17. Artteach42

Artteach42 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

Al Capone does my Shorts is a good one.

Also, The Perks of being a Wallflower and The Catcher in the Rye.

both of those may be a little old, i'm not exactly sure, but they are very good and kids relate to them VERY well.

then there is To Kill a Mockingbird, Fahrenheit 451, and Lord of the Flies.

18. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 16, 2009

I love Jerry Spinelli's books. When I taught 6th grade one of my lit circle groups did Star Girl and enjoyed it. Maniac Magee is a good one too from what I hear although I have never read it. I plan to read it for fun this summer though, I think young adult novels can be the perfect summer read!

I had another lit circle group that read The Wave which I also thought was good. Holes is good too, but I think it's more of a 5th-6th grade reading level.

19. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 16, 2009

I have several books in my room that you all have mentioned The Giver, Freak the Mighty, Hatchet, the Jerry S. books, etc. But the problem is I only have maybe two of those titles at most in my room. Where the Red Fern Grows is the only set that I have. So I suppose I will use that one.

Does anyone have any fun, interactive activies to go along with this book? Maybe a lesson plan/unit plan online or something on how I can present this classic novel in a fun way? I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say here. *laughs*

-Mr.MiddleSchool

20. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2009

21. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Jan 17, 2009