A Good First Day

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by SingBlueSilver, Sep 4, 2007.

1. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Sep 4, 2007

So, I thought I would post a story about a "good first day" since the recurring theme in this forum seems to be about bad ones...Just so ya know, I'm not knocking the bad first days bc well, we all need encouragement especially us new teachers and we also all need some where to vent our frustrations...I just wanted to post something that might be refreshing...

I had first period prep today which meant while everyone else had a class to teach at 8:30am, I had to wait till 10am for my students...a whole hour and a half to freak out...I was very prepared so I really didn't need the prep time and I just kind of relaxed and collected my thoughts...by around 9:55am, I said my prayers and was ready for the students.

My students (8th graders) were all as I expected...Bummed that school had started and didn't feel like doing much of anything today, very reluctant to get back into the swing of things...I'm glad I expected this because had I not, I'm sure I would have been sorely disappointed. I had quite a few visitors to my classroom all at different times - the principal, the assistant principal, head of curriculum, the dean, and the 8th grade counselor. I thought their initial visits would have made me nervous and freak out more, but it turned out to actually be encouraging to know that they were behind me (so to speak).

At lunch, I other teachers talked to me and they all asked me how my day was and I was glad to say that it was going just fine.

The highlight of my day was when my assistant principal had told me that he was proud of me. :2up:
    To end the day, the staff had a debriefing meeting and he gave me a high five.

Although the kids "could've" been better and there maybe could've also been some better organization on the administration/district level, I worked with what I had and rolled with the punches; so, I don't think I could've asked for a better first day as a(n) (official) teacher.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2007

That is great news! And you are right, we do need some encouraging stories where the first day goes well!! Good luck with the rest of the year!

4. Katekat

Katekat Rookie

Sep 5, 2007

Sounds like a great first day :)

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2007

good for you!

6. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Sep 6, 2007

I love hearing the good stories, congrats!

7. jacksprat379

jacksprat379 Rookie

Sep 6, 2007

Congrats, & thanks for sharing.