A good dilema

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by BruinsFan63, May 14, 2012.

1. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 14, 2012

Hello all!

I was offered a position (dream position, favorite grade, great district) last week by the principal. I met with the superintendent today, and she said she will bring me up for approval at the next School Board Meeting, and from there I will meet with HR and go over my contract and benefits.

With that being said, I was also asked to interview Thursday for another position a few towns over. I want the first job, and I feel like I'm in limbo because I don't officially have a contract yet. Should I still go on the interview to the second school? Would that look negatively on me if the first principal found out? I don't want to do anything that will ruin the chances for my first choice school. But also, what if for some reason they don't accept the superintendent and principal's recommendation?

Like I said, a fortunate dilemma, but... HELP!!!!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 14, 2012

It's a done deal if it's going before the board.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 14, 2012

I disagree. I think it's a done deal once you've signed on the dotted line.

Until then, I would still actively hunt for a job. If you're offered the second job, you can gratefully decline, explaining that you've accepted another offer.

If it were a done deal, there would be no need to be approved by the school board.

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 14, 2012

Take the interview in case. You can always say no if you get it.

6. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 14, 2012

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go on the interview. Hopefully it won't hurt the chances for the other job, but I don't see why it would.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 14, 2012

This.:thumb:

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2012

It won't hurt your chances with the first job. Go on the interview and keep looking until your job is officially official :)

9. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 14, 2012

Other issue... the meeting would require me to take off time from work. My school did a lot to help me get the first offer, so I feel bad asking for more time on a plan B. I called and asked if I could interview after work, is that unreasonable? :-/

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 14, 2012

No, that's not unreasonable...the end of the year is a busy time for everyone, so it is understandable. However, what will you do if they don't have that availability?

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 14, 2012

That is definitely not unreasonable. It's always okay to ask.

I agree with continuing to interview until you have a contract, you just never know what will happen.

12. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 14, 2012

:/ I honestly don't know... Blah! If only the school board meeting was sooner, I hate the what if.... Feeling.

13. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 14, 2012

It's an hour away so I would need the whole day off, it would be such a tough decision, the more options the better but it would be so hard to ask for the day after all my P has done as far as references and such....but to say no to an interview in this economy...! Let's hope I don't have to choose

14. Xidous003

Xidous003 Companion

May 14, 2012

Keep going until you have signed something. A 'bird in hand beats two in the bush' as they say. I have heard of people getting burned by only verbal offers. Such excuses as 'the budget was worse than we thought' or 'we loved you, but had to fill it internally' or some other excuse. Keep going until you get that paper!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

How would you feel about taking the whole day off if you didn't already have an offer pending? You would find a way to make it happen, right?

You haven't signed a contract yet. Don't let a potential job slip away.

16. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 15, 2012

They were able to accomadate the time change and were very understanding. That's a relief, but now I have to get ready for another interview! Yikes!

17. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 15, 2012

I have never signed a contract before December. In Oklahoma, most schools consider it a done deal when you meet with Supt. or go before the board. The only way this would be a problem is if a major change in the district happened. But I have only known one time when things did not go according to plan, but the district hired that teacher the first opening that they had.

18. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 15, 2012

That definitely makes me feel better, thanks mrachelle

I would just hate to be the exception, ya know? But I feel like 99% confident

19. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

May 15, 2012

I think you'll find that you actually enjoy this interview knowing that you basically already have another offer...I know that when I was in the situation I was much more relaxed and was really able to let myself show through...enjoy and good luck!

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

Good luck with the second interview. It'll be more difficult if they offer you are job and can get approval sooner.

When is the board meeting for the first job?

21. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 16, 2012

Thanks mopar! The first job will contact me a week from today (Wednesday May 23) about whether I was approved. Then they will send me my HR packet to look over and make an appointment to sign my contract. That's all assuming everything goes smoothly, fingers crossed!!

22. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

You can always ask for a week to make a decision.

23. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

Update: The second interview went alright. Some of the people looked so bored so I did not think I would be getting a call back. I was waiting to hear from my first choice school who was supposed to let me know how the school board meeting went Wednesday May 23, but they never did. And I got a call today (Thursday, May 24th) from the 2nd school and they want me to meet with the superintendent TOMORROW. I emailed the principal of school 1 to ask how the meeting went but she won't be back until tomorrow.

Should I go on the 2nd interview? I am absolutely pulling my hair out :( Blah, I'm stressed. All I can think is what if my dream school 1 voted 'no' to me, and that's why they aren't getting back.

:(

24. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 24, 2012

If you don't have a signed contract yet, I would go for the interview. If the meeting just happened yesterday, it is understandable that they may need a little time to get in touch with you.

Crossing my fingers for you!!

25. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

The meeting happened Tuesday night, and the P said she would get back to me Wednesday. Normally I would be patient and wait but this other interview is stressing me out. Who knew getting a contract was such a long process!! haha

26. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

I'd go on the interview with the Superintendent. If they offer you a job, ask for the weekend to talk it over with your family.

If the P isn't available to talk to you today, is there someone else you can call like the secretary or a person in HR? And until you have a paper officially stating that the job is yours, I'd keep interviewing.

27. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

I accepted the interview for tomorrow with school 2. I just hope I hear good or bad from school 1 about the school board meeting... So much waiting is stressing me out :/

28. BruinsFan63

BruinsFan63 Rookie

May 24, 2012

I just got the contract for school 1 in the mail, now I'm official official!!!!!

God a dotted line never looked so good :)

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

Yay!! Congrats!

30. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2012

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

31. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 25, 2012

Congratulations!!! Yes, a dotted line looks excellent!