A good day!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Jul 24, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

I had a great day today. Who else did? (or, is anyone currently teaching?)

Today I wanted to teach calculating slope, and therefore calculating average speed, to my 6th grade science class. Math is a weak point for almost all our students, partially because it's taught in German and for various other reason. Before my class I asked the math teacher if they have done slope before and she said "not even the 7th graders have done slope". I asked if they have ever seen graphs before, she said "I don't think so". Expecting the worse, I went in there and taught the mess out of calculating slope and interpreting graphs to determine speed!! All the kids are confident in doing it, and by the end of class were saying "LET'S DO ANOTHER ONE! THIS IS GREAT!" A few kids at the end of class said "math is a lot of fun!" (whenever they complain about math to me, I always tell them how much fun I think it is and how important it is) Later, the math teacher came by and asked how things had went and was quite shocked when I said everything went really well.

I am so proud of my kids for doing so well today, and I'm really proud of myself as well. I think I did a really great job (not to toot my own horn too much :rolleyes:, but I think it's appropriate to give ourselves pats on the back every once in a while!) Days like these remind me why I became a teacher- because it's so much fun and I'm good at it! :thumb: :haha: :cool:

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Jul 24, 2013

That is wonderful! Congrats on your good day. :)

4. Waterburyk9

Waterburyk9 Rookie

Jul 24, 2013

Glad you taught the kids something that they never had before and that they were excited to learn it.
    Seems to me that you are a great teacher!
    Keep telling them that they can do anything if they go into it knowing that they can accomplish it!

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2013

Thanks so much!

I just felt so good today at school. Some days are tough, but the great days always make the tough days worth it :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 25, 2013

Great story, lucybelle! Way to go!