A gentle reminder

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

I know you want your resume and cover letter to be perfect.

But please, folks, take a look at the calendar. It's the end of July.

Today, Friday, do whatever it takes to get both of them into the shape they need to be. Then, tomorrow (yes, I know it's a weekend) get them emailed to every school you can find, aside from those you'll be hand delivering on Monday. Don't hold out for your "dream job." It doesn't exist. Every job (even mine, the one I rave about) will have its ups and downs. Apply EVERYWHERE, and do it today. You can pick and choose once the offers start coming in.

A wonderful resume, delivered after hiring is done, is of no good to you.

So I realize you have other committments. But this one should be a VERY high priority. Get that stuff finished and out TODAY!!!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

4. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I agree with your advice....I ended up sending resumes out not only during the weekdays but the weekends also.....which I found a lot easier

5. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Do you recommend emailing schools that do not have positions posted either?

My letter and resume are finally perfected. :)

6. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jul 22, 2011

To nangel... YES!!!

Something may come up and you may be the first person they think of!

7. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 22, 2011

I would nangel. I think getting your resume and cover letter to the P before a position is posted is wise. Good luck!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

Yes, absolutely!!!!!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2011

Email anywhere you are willing to teach because you just never know.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 22, 2011

Definitely email schools that don't have openings posted. My co-worker decided to take a leave next year and my principal was left scrambling because of the short notice. A teacher who has been trying to get to our school, though, had been in constant contact with her. (She taught at the high school for the past 2 years while waiting for an opening.) My principal contacted her about the position and she gladly took it. Having your name and face there for the principal to think about never hurts.

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

When sending these emails, should we enclose a cover letter for each one, or just let the email serve as the cover letter?

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 22, 2011

oops

Oops, just noticed you also said cover letter. I guess that means it can be fairly generic or just tailored toward the general levels we are qualified to teach--with something positive thrown in about each school if we can?

13. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

What else can be done to stand out from other applicants?

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2011

2 years after I was hired at my current school I was talking to my P and she happened to mention my brochure that I made to go along with my resume - how great it was. I almost fell out of my chair! I couldn't believe she still remembered that silly little thing.

If I were searching for a job now I'd either include a brochure or a little CD showing things about me, my experience, and even sample of things from my last assignment.

15. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I came up with a newsletter.

16. Lmb5713

Lmb5713 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

nangel: YES! I sent e-mails out this morning, and received an e-mail from a principal who said he didn't currently have a position open, but was anticipating one and asked me to contact him in 2 weeks.

17. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I recently discovered a district I had not applied at! I am applying there and emailing the P tonight.

18. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 22, 2011

I have sent out many emails and email followups and I never get any responses.

One thing about the emails for this district is that you have to fill out an email form, and put your name, but there's no space for putting a subject line...so I squeeze in (Available Teaching positions) after I put my last name.

and plus, you cannot add attachments. The P's email addresses are hidden from view. I don't know what to do besides upload my resume and cover letter to a link on my online portfolio and give them the link to my online portfolio, which is a link I've already been providing. Simple link, simple click, actually easier than downloading an attachment.

Frustrating. It would be nice to know why I'm not getting any responses. Not a single one. Not even from the P I interviewed with. Ugh.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

19. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I wish I knew, but I don't. I sent out over 17 emails to schools today.

20. texasteacher11

texasteacher11 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

webmistress: Most districts have a standard way of creating email addresses for their employees. For example, they are usually ALL firstname.lastname@district.org or like firstinitiallastname@district.org, etc. They should all be similar SO when I had this problem, I found the email address of anyone in the district and filled in the P's name.... :)

21. texasteacher11

texasteacher11 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

oh sorry, i forgot it messes it up when you type in email addresses (even if they're pretend :)). What i meant was follow the format of another person's email in the district because they usually match!

22. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 22, 2011

This is what I did. I got 2 interview offers out of it, too!

23. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 22, 2011

texasteacher, I want to do that but I can't even get a single P to respond back so I can follow the format, lol. I guess I will have to keep searching around on the district's site to see if someone has theirs typed out.
    Thanks for suggestion

24. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 22, 2011

Check to see if there are any handouts, newsletters, etc that you can download from the website. Then you can usually find an email or two. Good luck!

25. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

Another reminder: 2 years ago, I got hired on a drop-in (was dropping off resume, was asked to wait a few minutes, interviewed on the spot, hired an hour later).

If you can do, drop your resume and cover letters off in person! You never know :)

26. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

I am amazed at the stories about people being hired by a P like Chebrutta mentioned. Here, all interviews are by committee. Site-based management is widespread, and principals are simply not allowed to just hire someone that they like. It has to be done by a committee of interested stakeholders (i.e., teachers, other admins., etc.)

However, I can see how the drop-off process could potentially yield an interview.

27. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

rice,
    Awesome idea. Thank you. I found an online school newspaper and it gave some email addresses!!
    My subject line is usually "Available Teaching Positions"....is that too boring?

28. texasteacher11

texasteacher11 Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

Mine is usually "2011-2012 School Year" because I think they are more likely to open it as it could be from a parent or anyone...not just someone looking for a job :)

29. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 23, 2011

You're very welcome! One district I applied to requires you send your resume and cover letter to each principal, but they don't list emails... not the best system, so I got creative :D

I always list it as "Open [insert grade/subject] Position" because that way it is obvious which position I am applying to. However, if they have multiple openings I am applying for I use "Open Teaching Positions" and list the specific openings in my email/cover letter.

30. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

okay, :thanks: texas and rice!

31. Starling

Starling Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

So you mail them to the principal of each school or do you mail to the superintendent office? Every position posted that I have responded to was to the Super, not an individual principal or school.

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2011

I would suggest the principal, but why not do both?

33. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 23, 2011

Great Idea:)

34. nangel78

nangel78 Companion

Jul 23, 2011

Has anyone ever tried sending a 60 second introduction video link of yourself with the email inquiry and resume? Just a thought.