A general question regarding teachers pay

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SarahJ, Dec 31, 2007.

1. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Dec 31, 2007

I hope you don't mind answering this for me :) I love reading and participating on AtoZ but to clear something up for me...
    Is a teachers salary dependant on the education they've had. For example, a teacher with a teaching degree and no exp will earn x amount if they teach in y district, but a teacher with a teaching degree and then a masters and no teaching exp will automatically earn z amount because they have additional tertiary education? Have I understood right? Your pay is determined by education? Do you have different 'levels' of pay?

Another query regarding tertiary education: so far I've figured out that each state has its own licensing requirements (we don't have to have a teaching license, but need to register with SACE in order to teach -its painless, you fill out a form and send in proof of education!) When you study teaching at college/uni, do you do a 3 or 4yr degree? and then do you have an honours programme or do you go straight to masters? We do degree, honours, masters, doctorate/phd.

tx for answering my nosey questions! I just like to know whats been asked about when I read things on AtoZ :)

3. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 31, 2007

You're right. In most districts, salaries are on scales with steps. They might look something like this:

Classroom Teachers Pay Scale, 2007-2008, ABC School District

B.A. M.A. PhD

Year 1 $30,000 $35,000 $50,000
    Year 2 $30,500 $36,000 $55,000
    Year 3 $33,000 $40,000 $62,000

Degree Programs:
    Associate's (2-year)
    Bachelor's (4-year)
    Master's
    Doctorate

Hope that helps.

4. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Dec 31, 2007

Oh, and sometimes there will be a step between B.A. & M.A. that's something like B.A. with 12 graduate credits.

5. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Dec 31, 2007

Tx MsWK. I'm always very interested in finding out how different areas operate :) Tx for clearing things up for me.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 31, 2007

Here in New Brunswick, I don't have the exact numbers, but we have different contract levels.

D Contract is the lowest contract. It is generally where you start. With this contract, you are guaranteed a job within the district (in other words, you have priority over non-contracted teachers)

B Contract is similar to tenure. It pays better and with this contract, you generally stay at your school as long as the numbers permit. If for some reason a school closes, or enrollment decreases, the district will find you a position somewhere in the district... you have priority over D Contracts and new teachers.

Then if you get your Masters, I'm quite sure there's another pay scale.

There's also an E Contract, which is like a D Contract, but no recall rights, so the job only lasts a year, then you have to go through the application process again as if you were a new teacher.

7. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 31, 2007

Here we don't have enough permanent positions available through the state but the school itself does have additional funds to hire. So they hire other "contract" people and we don't have to go through the application process every year, but at any time we will be the first to be non-renewed for the following year. We also don't have any benefits including sick days, snow days, personal leave, etc. I am on my 3rd year of contract. I get a letter in the mail during the summer and that tells me whether I am renewed or not.

At our school the actual pay scale, contract or not, follows something similar to what MsWk shows. There is a pay increase once you become permanent but you actually make just a little bit more pay as a contract but you don't pay for any benefits, retirement, etc.

8. in2it

in2it Rookie

Dec 31, 2007

Just to add my 2 cents:

:2cents:

It can get even trickier to figure out the applicable pay scale when the graduate degrees are in areas other than education, as is often the case with career switchers. Whether the graduate degrees earned prior to any teaching certification are considered in the starting salary seems to be a question for some school districts/teacher unions - and it can be a big problem for some job searchers.

I've had principals shy away from me because they believe I would be so much more expensive to hire than other candidates with equally little classroom experience. With 2 masters degress in addition to my graduate teaching certification program, some feel I would come in at what is called the Master+30 level of Step 1 (first year teaching). In my state, that would put me at about the same starting salary as a Bachelor-prepared teacher who has six years of teaching experience. That effectively puts me in a different peer group against which I need to compete for avaialble positions. I'm no longer being judged against the pool of other newly-certified candidates, so my prior education ends up being a big disadvantage in the recruiting process (go figure!). :huh:

Despite expressing a willingness to start at the Bachelor level of Step 1, some administrators fear subsequent complications with the teacher's union. It is enough to make one think about not disclosing all of one's prior education. Of course, that would end up leaving unexplained gaps on the old resume.

Sigh ...

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 31, 2007

Beginning teachers in our area--rural, low cost of living, high poverty--with no experience and a bachelor's degree with teaching certification make in the low $20,000 range. There is an increase in pay for every year of experience--which varies depending on the pay scale for that year.

All public school teachers in our state have a certain number of years to obtain a masters degree to keep certification to teach. Of course, there are requirements to get into a masters program, and some people don't qualify. For those people there are "rank" programs. Some places call them "30 hour programs". The pay raise is the same for both, which is $3000 per year on top of your experience. The masters or rank has to be in a "teachable area" . . . or something that will enhance your teaching. I did not get my masters in an education field, but in English. However, I still got my raise because I teach English, reading, and language arts which makes that masters appropriate for me.

There is an next step, which is also $3000 per year, for obtaining a second masters or a second 30 hour program in an additional teaching area.

The final step is a doctorate degree in a teachable area. That raise is something like an additional $5000 per year.

Salaries top out around $58,000 here. (For our area, that is a top money-making job in the community. Some surrounding areas have a much higher cost of living and the salaries are higher.)

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 31, 2007

Around here a lot of people come in with an MA. I don't know of any of my friends who did the master's program with me who did not get hired based on the MA. It's a requirement to have one within 5 or so years of beginning teaching, so I chose to just get one and start teaching with a higher salary rather than get my BA in education. This worked for me fine. The starting salary for BA alone, no experience at the time was so low I was making more in my service job.

Our certificates also require a professional program, so I have to go back to school for 12 more credits anyway. It's never ending!

11. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 31, 2007

On a resume, you really only have to list "Relevant Education" I would only list your BA and the graduate cert degree, unless your other degrees are relevant to the subject you plan on teaching. If you are doing elementary ed, this should be fine. Then, on the application where it asks for all school history, you can list it there if you need to. I left a little of my education off... I got my AA first and then my BA. I just included my BA from the college I graduated from. I moved around a lot and actually took classes at 3 community colleges off and on. I wouldn't have had room to list all that on the resume. Whenever I have had to list all previous colleges, like for my cert, I always list all of them (5 now, soon to be 6)

I also did this on my resume under job experience. I did "relevant experience" as I had like, 15 jobs in my life! (starting at age 16)

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2007

How preparation works varies from state to state. California's a little anomalous in that teacher education per se is all post-bachelor's - I suppose it MIGHT be possible, somewhere in the state, to major in elementary education, but the teacher-credentialing authorities discourage that sort of thing mightily.

13. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Dec 31, 2007

Each 15 grad credits up to a phd earns you about $5,000 in my district.

so, BA= 45,000
    a BA +15 = 50,000
    a MA = 55,000
    A MA + 15= 60,000
    A MA + 30 = 65,000
    A Phd = 70,000

We also get money based on the number of years we have been in service, however that is much less an increase.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 31, 2007

(Duh. The thread was supposed to be about pay.)

Pay, and how it's determined, varies from state to state - I think there may be states with statewide pay brackets, but I think in most states pay is determined even more locally - in California, pay varies from district to district.

15. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Dec 31, 2007

Good idea on the bolded. Since I am a career changer with mulitple jobs outside of the teaching field "Relevant Experience" sounds like a good idea. Did you list the employers also? Dates? I'd love to see how you put that on your resume.

I'm trying to put together a resume geered towards teaching(asst, aid etc) or something inside the school to get employment in the school system while I complete all that is necessary to complete the career switcher program for my state and then apply for an actual teaching position. I really want to position myself within the school system before I apply for a teaching position which could be latter part of 2008 or beginning of 2009.

16. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Dec 31, 2007

The field of education is one profession where experience is a disadvantage, having 5+ years experience can actually cause you not to be hired.

In Indiana, pay varies greatly by district and with our governors property tax plan, pay will be a big issue and hiring won't happen in many districts, causing classroom sizes to increase tremendously.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2007

Here's a sample salary schedule from my own district:

http://ccsd.net/jobs/LLPsalary.htm

You can see that your pay increases with more education (the top BA through PhD part), and it increases with more experience (the left side 1 through 15 or whatever, a.k.a. years of teaching experience).

18. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Dec 31, 2007

In NC we start with a base salary that is state required, but different districts have additional funds for supplements. Then with a MA you get a 12% increase as with National Board Certification, the state will pay for teachers to become National Board certified. So if you have NBC and a MA you get 24% higher than those with a BA with the same experience. You cannot be board certified until you have been teaching for 3 years. We can get the bachelors degree or go with "alternate licensing" but must attend college classes to be state certified to teach. To go with "Lateral Entry" (alternate licensure) you must have a bachelors in something prior to teaching. I will finish my bachelors in May and in my area starting pay is 29,000-33,000 USD per year. There is a mandatory cost of living increase each year, and with each year of experience teachers "step" their pay up. The experience increase is $500-$800 USD per year roughly. Again, some areas pay more. The alternate license teacher is not allowed to work in the low income (Title I) schools until they have a free and clear license. I hope this helps.
    :2cents:

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2007

EEEK- I teach grade 2, I'm on step 8 at Masters + 60 of my guide and make more than your step 16 PhD....so it's not all education- it's also geographical area and district.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2007

That's absolutely correct. Here in Vegas we're in the middle or towards the bottom of the list for teacher pay, probably because we have a crappy union. We're working to change that. The nice thing here though is that they pay into a retirement system for us above and beyond what they pay us... For me they pay around 10k per year. So that's basically like getting paid 10k more per year, which is nice when you think about it.

21. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jan 1, 2008

The pay varies widely in Virginia also. Some counties in SW or Eastern Shore VA start at around $29,000 for a B.A. on step 1. I think Fairfax started somewhere around $44,000 this year. It's all property tax & cost of living.

22. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 2, 2008

It's also budget and benefits. I work in a charter school. We get paid better then the management companies other schools, even though we are all in the same geographic area.