a friend is subbing for the first time ever

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by uscsoccer, Oct 21, 2011.

1. uscsoccer

uscsoccer Rookie

Oct 21, 2011

Hello all,

A friend from my cohort didn't get hired this year and, after waiting awhile for his background check, got the call that he's on the sub list for his hometown! He's somewhat nervous, having done student teaching for one semester but no subbing. I don't really know what to advise him in terms of subbing dos and don'ts, as it's different when you have your own group who know that you'll be with them all year, not just 45 minutes one day, so thought I'd turn here for advice! His st experience was with 9th, but he's on the list for 4th-12th.

So, experienced subs, what would you say about:

-setting expectations quickly
    -when a bunch of kids are all asking to go to the bathroom
    -the dreaded "ahh! the teacher didn't leave plans!" moments

Thanks, all!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 21, 2011

I would actually advise searching the archives here. You might get some useful tips in this one thread but you will get lots of them in many threads. There are many discussions related to sub tips from previously. Happy searching! Tell your friend--Good Luck!

4. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Oct 21, 2011

I was in a 3rd grade classroom yesterday where the teacher didn't leave plans *rolls eyes* (how do people get away with that?) I made it through the day okay, but I was sooo tired. What I did was I dug around and figured out when they came and left, lunch, specials, and recess all happened. Then, I took 20 minutes out in the morning and afternoon for Silent Reading. I took 15 minutes out to play Heads Up 7UP. I picked a book to read aloud to the kids and discuss. Then, I went in the returned homework bins and was able to figure out what lesson they would be on in Language Arts, Math, and Social Studies. Then, I was lucky enough to find the corresponding worksheets for everything. Then, I could see it was pretty obvious that there were centers, so I took time in the afternoon to have the kids do their centers (which they knew where they should be). It is annoying, but possible to work around a plan-less teacher

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Oct 22, 2011

I've subbed a few times with no plans. Sometimes you can ask the teacher next door about where they should be since the other grades will be in similar places. I've also had to dig around in students' desks to see where they were in workbooks. It's always more work that way but it can be done. I always keep some extra "fillers" in my sub bag in case there are holes. Elementary kids love to play Sparkle or Around the World. I also keep a few children's books handy.

6. kikiboniki

kikiboniki Rookie

Oct 22, 2011

as far as bathroom goes, if you don't know the teacher's policy, only send one at a time and don't let them go within thirty minutes of period beginning or ending (or within 30 minutes recess, school end, etc), unless its a clear emergency. also one of my favorite things to say is "in a few minutes" (if they ask), about half the time, they forget they had to go and don't even ask again. :)
    in highschool and middle school, I write down a list of those who use the restroom as a lot of teachers give ten minute detentions to students who go during class. I find that if I tell them that I am going to write their names down, they magically do not have to go anymore.
    as far as expectations, I lay them down at the beginning of each day/ period. I've found this phrasing to be effective (i.e. if they are in second grade), "You guys are second graders, I know what second graders are capable of.. remember you are not first graders anymore, you are older, mature and know how to be respectful. I am going to hold you to high standards... etc"
    I then tell them that I will be writing down the names of offenders and giving the list to their teachers. We all agree that is fair, so there are no surprises. When I start walking around, I will have the offenders write their names directly on to my list. The others kids tend to catch on and realize I mean business!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  7. Vince

Vince Rookie

Oct 24, 2011

If there are no plans, check with the next door teacher or the school secretary. Often times they email them in or leave them with another teacher. Do this only after searching the room thoroughly. They don't always leave them in obvious locations, trust me! If they are there, and you go to someone else looking for help, you'll (he'll) look foolish.

8. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Oct 24, 2011

With 4-8th, usually there will be some type of system in place with the bathroom thing. Sometimes the students have tickets or something they earn for being good that they have to cash in for restroom breaks. If there's not something like that, make them write their names on a list on the board. I guarantee that if they know it'll get back to their teacher, they'll watch it.