A friend’s teaching job rescinded??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 27, 2019

I’m trying to figure something out. A family friend’s husband was offered a job and he stopped looking for jobs afterward. Come board meeting time, the job offer was pulled and now he’s desperate to look for another job. So my wife and I have been going over how a job offer could be given and then taken away. I said it’s probably because they offered the job, then checked references, and then decided to change their mind? Or maybe, since he was being hired as an electives teacher, perhaps there wasn’t enough student enrollment to justify a hire? Can someone else provide other reasons?

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 27, 2019

It rarely happens, but I did see it happen once. The board can rescind for any reason. That is why you keep looking until that contract is signed...

Backroads likes this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2019

Certification could fall through. Otherwise I can only think of the reasons already given.

5. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 27, 2019

If it's an elective course, of which positions are few and far between, I wouldn't be surprised if it was nepotism.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 27, 2019

Enrollment numbers could have drastically tanked, a current staff member could have completed course work that allowed for an additional endorsement, wiping out the need for a new hire. The budget could have taken a big hit from an unexpected source - think boiler had to be replaced, roofs had to be totally replaced, septic systems failed, asbestos was found that needed remediation, a new superintendent was hired at a much higher salary than was budgeted for, extensive water damage from burst pipes - that could actually affect not only the building, but texts and the interior of the school. The list goes on. Sometimes budget calls the shots.

7. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Jul 27, 2019

If that's the case, then I would feel more comfortable already being certified before even applying for a position.

8. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2019

I agree, but sometimes it can't be avoided. For example, when you are moving from one state to another, when you just graduate with your initial teaching certification, or when you complete a program for adding on a certification during the summer.

vickilyn likes this.
  9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 29, 2019

Maybe they thought the person who had the position before was leaving and they changed their mind?

10. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 29, 2019

My district rescinded a position earlier this year because the candidate also accepted a position and let it go to the school board in a neighboring district the same night my district’s school board was meeting to approve their hire.

futuremathsprof and vickilyn like this.
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jul 29, 2019

Better to NOT hire someone who is about to be confirmed in the district right next door.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 29, 2019

I've seen it happen before too. In that case someone on the board knew someone that knew someone...that had a beef with the prospective teacher.