A few supply questions:

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by whollyconsumed, Jul 25, 2015.

1. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 25, 2015

If you only had $100 classroom spending money what would you buy?

Also, I was told that at my new school they would give me a laptop or teacher computer, but no printer. I have never encountered that before, so I was wondering, do you think it is something I should purchase for myself?

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 25, 2015

Do you have access to a printer at all? Many schools will have a hallway connected to one printer that many teachers share.

If you don't have access to any printer, I'd probably buy one with my own money and order ink with the hundred I got from the school.

4. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

I pay for a subscription to Quia.com it is one of my favorite websites and 100% worth the $50/year cost. After that I would probably buy organizational things. I would hate to have to add up how much I actually spend on my classroom.:lol:

In my last school I had a printer in my room, but that was the exception. Most of the teachers had their computers connected to the copy machine (which has its pros and cons).

My new room doesn't have it's own printer but I happen to have an extra at home that I'll use there

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2015

Pencils. And more pencils.

What grade level? My list could slightly change depending on the grade level.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2015

We don't have classroom printers--all computers print to one of the two copiers in the school.

I would spend it on classroom games and art supplies.

7. whollyconsumed

whollyconsumed Companion

Jul 26, 2015

I will be in 3rd grade teaching Reading/Language Arts and Social Studies.

8. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 26, 2015

I would get the following electric pencil sharpener.
    http://www.amazon.com/X-Acto-School-Heavy-Duty-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B00006IEI4/ref=pd_sim_229_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V0HT7ZFZA9YG09KJKQX

This is the best electric pencil sharpener that I have ever used. Still have one running strong after 4 years.

Also, you'll always need lots of extra pencils especially after the first quarter is over. Parents buy them when they are on sale at the beginning of the year, but many do not have enough to last the year.

9. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 26, 2015

I'd get a class set of Scholastic Magazine or something.

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jul 26, 2015

I was going to say a REALLY good pencil sharpener as well. Industrial like.

Here are a few of my favorite things...

Colored printer paper. I'm going to assume you'll have to use the school shared copy machine since you may not have one in your classroom---that's a luxury these days!

Paper sorter/holder/storage. It'll make my happy organizing heart feel all warm and fuzzy to be able to see all my colored paper ready when I need it.

Paper Mate "No Bleed" pens to grade. Red and black are great, but the colored ones always make me happy!

Sticky Notes. There's really nothing like a good supply of these! I use them ALL the time for EVERYTHING.

Paint brushes. I bought a class set of the somewhat chunky paint brushes because those stinky skinny brushes that come with the water colors are not my style when I want my kiddos to really enjoy painting.

Privacy folders. I invested in a class set. I've made my own over the past 6 years---I'm tired of making them.

Happy planning/shopping!

11. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 26, 2015

I spend my budget on a current events magazine each year. We get $600 to spend between three teachers. If the guys don't look like they are going to spend their share, I will make a couple other small purchases midyear.

12. Sunskyteach

Sunskyteach Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

Current events news magazine is wonderful if you can! I would also say that glue sticks and pencils are must haves. Book boxes or those cardboard magazine holders if you come across extra money are great for organization. They sell them for cheap at ikea!

13. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 27, 2015

I bought one of these at Staples for $45. It died in less than a year. I've seen so many loving it, I'm tempted to give it another try.

14. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Jul 27, 2015

Magazines????? :confused:

15. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 27, 2015

Yes. I teach social studies, but I also used a Scholastic magazine when I taught 4th, 5th, 6th. Lots of good opportunities for higher level discussion.