A few questions...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Alyson1130, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Alyson1130

Alyson1130 Rookie

Apr 5, 2009

First of all, I'm curious on how the whole taking supplies with you when you leave thing works. I'm not teaching yet, but I know lots, if not most, teachers end up buying materials for their students to use. When you leave a school, do you have to prove to them that you purchased the items? If so, how do you do this?

Also, this question is regarding the portfolio. I pretty much know what to put in it and how to organize it for the most part. I was wondering if anyone had any examples and/or pictures (preferably in the paper format, not an electronic one) of their portfolio or know where I could find some.

What are your favorite stores for teachers supplies and books for teaching ideas? Did you have a favorite book that helped you when you were just starting?

I know this is just a jumble of random questions, but I've had them on my mind for a bit and finally had the time to ask them! Thanks!

3. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 5, 2009

At my center eachteacher has a cubby inthe hallwa that locks so I keep a lot of my personal things in there when i'm not using them. I knowwhat things I 've bought with my own money and waht I've purchases with center money. If and when I ever leave i will decide if any of mthe stuff I pusrchaseed with my own money I will leave behind. the director trusts us to keep track of it. We allhave shelving in our classrooms and most of us keep our things in plastic bins with covers. Come teachers use different colored covers for things that are theirs. Some of us use different color labels, which is what I prefer as the covers could accidently get put on the wrong bin. Plus I write my name on everything that is mine so if it gets borrowed everyoneknows who it belongs to. things that are the centers write the classroom on (preschool 3s) I don't use a lot of curriculum books. Most of my plans and projects come from what I've learned during my job shadowing and mentorship, and my own creativiity. I do have some that I browse through for ideas for projects for different themes etc, and then take the idea and tweak it to suit my needs. and I google for ideas too.

4. Alyson1130

Alyson1130 Rookie

Apr 7, 2009

Thank you!

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Apr 7, 2009

for supplies I love discount school supply, and Really Good Stuff, laminator.com as well and the DOLLAR TREE!

6. Kase

Kase Companion

Apr 8, 2009

I just put my initials on anything I bought that I want to take with me. Anything we bought and then got reimbursed for is the school's. I love Lakeshore, Kaplan, discount school supply, walmart, target (especially the dollar section), and definitely the Dollar Tree like stated above.

7. Beverly

Beverly Comrade

Oct 29, 2010

I also put my name and initials on things I bought and I had no problem taking them out when I left. Some of the other teachers did tease me for initialing everything, but tape and staplers do tend to walk away LOL

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 30, 2010

I have ended up moving my classroom five times in four years! To make sure I take my personal supplies with me -- I developed this system. All my classroom supplies are stored in plastic bins and they all have matching labels. The labels on the things that are my own, purchased by me are in bins that I also purchased and simply put and asterisk before and after the word or words on the label. If I should ever leave I can easily walk over to the shelves and take down every container with an asterish on it. As far as toys etc, If there is something I care about keeping it has a star on it. all my personally owend children's books are kept in bins under the shelving in the hallway and all have my name on them. I take out what I'm using on a weekly basis and have a specific place in my classroom that I keep them. Everything in my desk area is mine, including the desk, except that pencil sharperner, stapler and hole punch. The bookcase I keep my teacher books (all mine), the file cabinet, my organizers-- all my personal property so I can easily pck it allup and load it in my vehicle without even having to think about it. If I had to I could have all my personally owned stuff out of the building in an hour or less

9. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Oct 31, 2010

I get reimbursed for most of my supplies, but I do buy a lot of extra things that I choose not to be reimbursed for. I buy my supplies from Discount School supply and Oriental trading. I like Mailbox magazine and the books that they have. I also use Creative Curriculum, Resources in Creative Teaching in Early Childhood Education, Creative Resources in Early Childhood Classroom, A Survival Guide for the Preschool Teacher, Complete Early Childhood Curriculum Resource, and books from NAEYC. If you have to do portfolios, I like using the book Focused Portfolios. They have a bunch of great observation forms included within the book and it is a easy system to use. I also like Care Courses. They are online classes for Early childhood professionals.