A few questions on adressing students

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Berith, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Berith

Berith New Member

Jul 19, 2010

I am currently enrolled in a fast track to teaching program and I will begin student teaching soon. For one of my classes I am being asked to pose a few questions about how teachers adress students and why. I appreciate this feedback greatly and I thank you from the beginning for any help.

1. Do you allow your students to call you by first name?
    2. Do you adress students with nicknames?
    3. Do you adress students with names that they request or by your own choosing?

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

As a group, I call them either "class" or "class, class"(from Wholebrain teaching, they have to repeat how I addressed them and you change it up). Or "Scholars".

I call them by their name, unless they request otherwise.

I am always Mrs. Heavens ...

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

1. No. I wouldn't freak out if they did, but it's Mrs. LastName. That's never been an issue.

2. Yes, but only if it's a nickname they have chosen to go by.

3. Well, it seems that each year a group of girls want to go by completely new names. Bethany may wanted to be called Jasmine, for example. Um, no. I'm not learning an entire set of new names! :)

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

1. Do you allow your students to call you by first name? No--our school climate here is such that first names aren't used.
    2. Do you adress students with nicknames? Ususally not--short forms of names, yes, but not nicknames. (One exception was several years ago--one of my students was known only by his nickname, never called his legal name.)
    3. Do you adress students with names that they request or by your own choosing? Not sure what you mean exactly--if a student requests a shortened form of their name or a name other than their legal one (several of our students have birth names and "English" names and want to use the English name), I respect that. I've never chosen a name for a student.

6. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 19, 2010

I call all my students Bob. It makes it much easier to remember their names that way.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

Hope that helps!

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 19, 2010

Ok... not really...

No. It's Mr. Last Name.

Not usually. Though last year I did refer to one kid named Keegan as "Keegster" and "Keegmeister" on ocassion.

The names they request, assuming it's something like Mike instead of Michael. Usually I will ask them on the first day what name they go by. I remember one day, when I was teaching Sunday school at church, I asked a boy named Michael if he'd rather go by Mike or Michael... he said "Nick". So that's what I called him. I wouldn't do that in school though.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

My students have never even tried to address me by my first name.

I call them by their name, and if they go by a different name (shortened version or middle name) I use that.

I don't do nicknames.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

:)

11. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

Always Mrs. Lastname. Or, they can call me Mrs. (First letter of last name). I told former students who tried to call me by my first name that they can't do that until they are adults. :)

I call them by their name, unless they tell me otherwise. And it is typically the shortened version of their name, or their middle name. One student this past year wanted to be called Tater rather than Tatyana... it was about April before I gave into that. That's about it. We had two Alejandro's in one of my classes, and the kids differentiated by calling one of them Jalepeno... I told them that if he was okay with that, fine, but I won't do that.

I never choose a nickname for them, because I do not want them to choose a nickname for me.

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

No. They call me Mrs. LastName. I used to teach with another teacher with my same last name. Those years my students often called me Miss FirstName LastName. All the kids had both of us for classes, and it got confusing with only last names.

2. Do you address students with nicknames?
    If a students goes by a nickname, then that's what I use. By the time kids get to me (middle and high school) their names have stuck really well. I don't care to call them by a preferred name, and they're old enough to know when to use their "official" name and when the nickname is fine.

3. Do you address students with names that they request or by your own choosing?
    I call them by the name of their own choosing. I have gone by a nickname my entire life. I had one teacher who refused to call anyone by a name other than the legal first name. Her reason was that if my parents didn't want me to use my name, they shouldn't have given it to me. :confused: I never did like that woman because of that.

13. Berith

Berith New Member

Jul 19, 2010

Thank you , all of these responses have all proven very useful.

14. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

1. No. They figure out my first name because it is usually on my teacher ID but if someone actually tries to call me by it we quickly have a nice " I'm an adult not your friend" chat.

2. No unless it is a shortened version of their name.

3. No. Once again unless it is a variation of their name.

15. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jul 19, 2010

I do not let students address me by my first name. After they graduate, they may. I just don't think it is professional.
    A lot of my students have nicknames from their classmates and from me and I do use them frequently. Nothing inappropriate. I have had two Josh R.s and a Josh C in the same class - so they all got nicknames, usually a version of the last name.

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

That is funny!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

1. Nope. It's always Mrs. LastName

2. Only if it's a shortened version of their names.

3. Again, I normally don't give out the nicknames, but I will use it if they already have a nickname.

18. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

1. They always call me Ms. Lastname. I did offer to let one kid call me Ms. Last Initial because his incessant, "Miss, hey Miss" was driving me nuts. Some of the girls would doodle my first and last name on their papers (my first name was on my ID and on the school-issued name plate on my door). It wasn't a problem for me as long as they didn't try to call me that.

2. If it's a reasonable one, like Joe for Joseph, or if they go by a middle name instead of the first. I had one kid try to get me to call him Spongebob.

3. I normally don't give out nicknames, but there was one spectacularly hilarious incident where I accidentally combined two words...one was a girl's name and the other was "multiplication," and Multiana was born. It was a total accident, but she loved it and started calling herself that.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2010

First names, not an option. I have had students try, because they think they are being clever when they find out my first name. That gets fixed quick.

As for names to call the students; legal first name, shortened name, nickname of their choosing, of my choosing, or their last name. I think it all depends on the student. You get to know your kids rather quickly and find out what works for them. I toe the line between seriousness and having fun with them quite often (and have learned to be fairly good at it, but not easy), and I will pull random names for some kids out and just roll with it.
    Like I said, its one of those things you just get to know the kids and what will work with them.

20. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 19, 2010

First name for me--no
    For the students--first name or name they prefer
    Nickname--this past year a student wrote an "I AM" poem on day one that ended with "I'm a Beast!" (on the soccer field). He was tiny and seemed anything but a beast. We (class) called him Beast the entire year.

21. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

Nope. It's always Miss _________, or Ma'am.

Not really. As I ask my students to refer to me as Ma'am I return the favor with "Can I help you, sir?" "Thank you, sir!" etc.

I refer to my class as "Hey, guys!" sometimes, but that's not really a nickname, hee.

No, and in a classroom with 8 students I had 3 with the same first name. :) They were just First Name Last Initial. I did tease them and ask them if I could change their names to "Ralph" etc, but I didn't actually do it. :D

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

1. Do you allow your students to call you by first name? No, I am Mrs. LastName
    2. Do you address students with nicknames? I use the nickname if it is commonly how the student is addressed. I also use Miss or Mr. LastName
    3. Do you address students with names that they request or by your own choosing? My students are called by their given name or a nickname that is used most of the time. I figure their parents chose those names for a reason and unless the student has legally changed their name, that's what they will be called in my room.

23. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

1. Do you allow students to call you by your first name? In all the schools I've worked in (Orthodox Jewish schools), all teachers before first grade are called "Morah" (Hebrew for teacher) and their first name. So usually, I'm "Morah Firstname", except for when I did first grade, when I was "Miss Lastname." I never had a student try in first grade, but that's partially because there was no way for them to find it out. All faculty called each other Miss/Mr/Mrs/Rabbi when the students were in the building.

2. Do you address students with nicknames? If it's a shortened version of their name, or an English version of their Hebrew name, yes. I've never been asked to call any student by anything other than that, so I don't really know what I'd do otherwise.

3. Do you address students with names that they request or by your own choosing? If a student asked me to call them something else, I might. I know I went through trouble when I was trying to switch between my first and middle names, and wouldn't want to do that to another child. The only time I'd choose a name is in a situation where two students have the exact same name-in first grade, I had two cousins with the same first and last name!

24. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2010

This year I had a black kid who had been adopted, as an infant, by a white family.

His first name is a biblical name, his middle name more typically associated with African Americans.

He asked us to callus by his middle name, and we all did.

It's the same reasoning we used when we gave my son his Korean name as a middle name after adopting him. If he ever wants to "be Korean" he still has that link to his past.

25. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

For me, I found this survey comical. I have spent a fair amount of time working on cover stories for each of my students and a faux name for all of them. :) (Detective theme, you'll remember). Beyond that, as a general rule, I am strictly Mrs. Last Name to students and parents. I have no problem with a nickname if it is the child's choice and if it could not be deemed offensive. (For example, if someone wants to be called Fatty, I would not feel comfortable with that.) If they want to go by a different name, I might play along for a couple of days, but only if the student seemed to need that special attention from me.

26. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

I had a student last year who asked me to call her by a name other than her own. I was totally caught off guard; it was March, no one not her parents or her friends call her anything other than her given name. It turned out she just hated her name, which I will admit was unusual. But I told her I couldn't honor her request, that she should be glad she was unique and had such a pretty name! I didn't hear any more about it, and when I contacted her parents, they knew nothing about it, either. Just a phase, I guess.

27. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

I teach sixth, seventh, and eighth grades...

It's not that I don't allow them to, they just don't. I have a hard time calling other teachers by their first names also, especially the one next door to me who was MY fifth grade teacher. I do have a lot of students call me Mrs. J, which is fine with me. My principal calls me that.
    Not usually, unless it is necessary. My first year, I had 2 Katelynn's, and a Kaylynn. They had already established their names by the time they got to me (Kate, Katie, and Katelynn). I had one student whose given name was James, but everyone called him Jim. He just didn't seem like a Jim to me, so I asked and he said he secretly hated Jim. So I called him James, and at the end of the year he actually thanked me.
    3. Do you address students with names that they request or by your own choosing?
    I've known all my students since they were born, so if I had a Courtney coming in wanting to be known as Brittany, that's not gonna happen. I better see some paperwork and hear your momma call you that at least once before I change!

28. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 19, 2010

I'm all for traditional names, but my teacher friend is in quite the predicament. Her last name is FARDER and she's going to teach first grade. hahahahaha. She wants them to call her by her first name, but I'm not sure that's appropriate beyond pre-school. Maybe she can just be Ms. F. :eek: :lol:

29. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 19, 2010

1. Do you allow your students to call you by first name? Definitely not. It is Mrs. Last Name
    2. Do you address students with nicknames? Rarely.
    3. Do you address students with names that they request or by your own choosing? I ask the first day, what they prefer to be called, and will use that name unless it is obviously an obnoxious/snide answer. Many times I call them sir/ma'm - similar to the PP who said they call all students Bob. I actually changed a student's name one year and still call her that. I blanked on her name one day and told her that I had a different name in my head but knew it wasn't right. I was so embarrassed. Bless her, she told me to call her the name I had in my head - it became an inside joke with us. Drove the other kids crazy.:lol:

30. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2010

;)

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

Not even a little bit. I start out as Ms. Chebrutta... but as the years goes by, they drop the Ms.
    I surely do. I'm famous for nicknaming my kids. Usually in context of having multiple students with same name (4 Christophers, 3 Emilys, 5 Alexs, etc). Last year I had a kid with a mohawk gone very, very wrong. I called him Spike.
    Almost all of the time, with the name of their choosing. But like I said, I nickname some of them.

32. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2010

1.--No first names. I go by Miss ____, but usually end up being called Mrs. ______. I joke about it with the kids--I'm originally from WI but teach in IN, so I'll say, "Mrs. ____ is too far away to hear you... :)

2-3. I call them by their given names, unless they go by a shortened version or a middle name.

33. peridotylayne

peridotylayne Companion

Jul 20, 2010

Yea.. all that up there.. is what I was going to say.. must be a 4th grade thing:thumb:

34. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2010

Nope!

I always call them what they want (Lexi for Alexis, their middle name when they go by it).
    I do occasionally give a student a nickname (Last year I had a Squirmy Wormy), but I don't call them that all the time. Usually when they are doing whatever triggered the nickname in the first place. They always find it funny. One year I had a Nosey Rosie 1, 2, and 3! They'd argue over who was which.

The only other thing I can think of was 2 years ago when I hada student with the same name as my sister. I found myself accidentally shortening it to my sister's nickname. She never said anything, and I hope she didn't mind! It wasn't often that I said it, and it was purely out of habit!

Again, if their name is Alexis and they want to be called Lexi- I will of course do that. I am not calling them a random name. A teacher on my team had a student who wanted to be called 'Pinky' last year and would even write it on her paper!!! I told my team mate that I'd take off 5 points for having no-name!

35. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2010

I work in a Girls school. I address the class as 'Girls' or sometimes 'Ladies' if I really want their attention or I am being a bit ironic.

They address me as Mr 'Blazer' or Sir. They do know my first name, it is not a secret, in fact it is part of my sign on for the school computers and so they see it on the screen. Occasionally some bright spark will try to use it and I tell them that they are privileged to belong to a select group of people allowed to call me 'Sir', if they do it again then they get a sanction. Strangely when I bump into former pupils they invariably call me sir and I tell them that they can now call me by my first name, they never do as it 'feels strange' and continue to call me Sir!

With students we use first names, if I am being particulaly strict I may refer to a pupil as Miss 'x' or even 'Madam or Your Ladyship! With classes I have taught for a long time or girls who can understand a joke I will give them a nick name. eg all Kirsty's are called 'Krusty' by me. Similarly Kimberleys are 'Crumberlies'. I will also shorten names so Elisabeth becomes Liz or Lizzie or Betty, Jessica /Jess etc. Some girls earn a nickname which is exclusivly mine to use. One girl who left this year has been called 'Bob' by me for the last 4 years ever since she fell out of a canoe on camp and was 'bobbing' around on the lake! We are getting increasing numbers of African girls in school who usually have unpronouncable names, they will give us a name to use so I have a Mi Mi, an Ayo and an Abi, none of which resemble in any way their real names.

36. SashaBear

SashaBear Companion

Jul 20, 2010

1. I've had them call me Mrs. B but no first name
    2. I had two students in one class named Jena and Jenna. I called them Jena 1 and Jenna 2 for the Ns in their name.
    3. Only a shortened version.

Along this topic my brother is Nathan and a teacher nicknamed him Nate. My mom was furious.

37. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Yes. I have told my students every year that I have no problem with them calling me by my first name as long as they understand I am still the adult. I know some teachers who think it's a cardinal sin to allow this, but I have always worked with the more challenging students and letting them use my first name, in most cases, creates instant rapport and I have more credibility with them. Most students will use my first name 100 times in the first week, but by the second week and for the rest of the year, I'm "Ms. H" and that works for me.

2. Do you adress students with nicknames? AND 3. Do you adress students with names that they request or by your own choosing?
    As long as the nickname isn't profane or a drug reference I'll call them what they are most comfortable answering to. Again, if I make the effort to relate to my kids on their terms, they accept me from day one. I had a student a couple of years ago who was named His Father's Name, Jr. Every teacher called him by his given name. His father hadn't been around for 13 years and he wanted to be called James Mom's-maiden-name but no one used it since it wasn't "legal" even though he made it clear he intended to change his name legally once he was old enough. I was the only teacher he seemed to connect with and he told me it's because I explained to him that I had to report his grades with his legal name, but he could write any name he wanted on his papers as long as I knew the name. And no one can tell me that wasn't the way to handle it, because when he came and told me he was going to enroll in community college to work his way to a 4 year university and become a teacher, his reasoning was "Ms. H, there need to be more teachers like you. You just 'get' us."

38. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

1. Do you allow your students to call you by first name? No way. Ms. Last Name, Ms. K, or Magistra. Ms. K is fine, because my last name can be hard, but there's another Ms. K in the school, so it can be funny. Magistra is teacher in Latin.
    2. Do you address students with nicknames? Shortened versions of their names, yes. A middle name if they prefer, ok. I had an African student who never went by his first name, Leonard. Everyone called him JJ. Since it's what he went by for everything except legal things, I was fine with that.
    3. Do you address students with names that they request or by your own choosing? Yes I do. Since I teach Latin, all the students choose a Latin name at the beginning of their freshmen year, from a large list I give them. I don't allow two of the same name in the same class. I usually try to use their Latin name when I address them, and some write them on tests, projects, etc. With some kids, I NEVER call them their real name. I have one girl that I honestly blanked one day when I needed her real name for something, because since day 1 she has always been Helena. Sometimes I even hesitate when putting in grades when I get to her name! Some kids, though, I never seem to really get good at associating the Latin name, so they either rarely get it or I go back and forth. I've also noticed that I rarely use the Latin names when I'm addressing a student for a behavioral issue.

39. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2010

Salve Magistra!

40. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Jul 25, 2010

Yes, my students call me Miss "first name." Even though I teach middle school, several of my colleagues also allow students to call them by their first names. (With Mr. or Ms. in front of it, of course!)
    Only if that's what they are routinely called by other teachers.
    I address students by the name they introduce themselves to me by at the beginning of the year.

41. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 26, 2010

1. Do you allow your students to call you by first name? Yes, it is the "climate" that our school functions on. ( I teach in a local church.) So they call me Mrs. Sheila and I am okay with that.
    There is usually one a year just because. Ana one year was annabannana. BUT.. if the child or parent was offended I wouldn't do it. I usually ask first.
    3. Do you adress students with names that they request or by your own choosing? Whatever makes the child feel comfortable, I am okay with. If I forget, they often remind me, and I am okay with that! LOL