A few questions from an aspiring science teacher

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MisterBill, Mar 26, 2012.

1. MisterBill

MisterBill New Member

Mar 26, 2012

Hello everybody, this is my first post here on these forums, and I have a few questions about the road to becoming a science teacher.

1. I'm currently going for a B.S. in Geology, which I had decided to do before I realized that I want to become a teacher. As a general rule of thumb (since I'm sure it varies somewhat from school to school), could I apply for or be considered for other science teaching positions? Being that I'm a Geology major in this case, could I perhaps land a job as a chemistry teacher? The Geology bachelor's program requires a full year of general chemistry, and upper-level geology courses (mineralogy, petrology, geochemistry to name a few) require a fair amount of chemistry knowledge.

2. Although I am going for a B.S. in Geology, my current overall GPA is a 2.62. Now, I've got two semesters left and I plan to retake a few courses to bump up my institutional GPA by the time I'm projected to graduate in Spring 2013, but from experience, how much does GPA matter? I've done some research on the topic but I'm not quite sure how having a B.S. in Geology (in my case) with a certain GPA would influence my resume as opposed to having a B.S. in Education with a certain GPA.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 26, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, MisterBill!

Georgia offers various kinds of teacher licensure. You'd probably be best served by the second of the traditional options, http://www.gapsc.com/certification/documents/traditional_routes.asp, in which you follow your BS in geology with a teaching-certificate program. In either case, you'll need to pass Georgia's subject-matter assessment, GACE, which offers tests in biology, chemistry, physics, general science, and middle grades science; I'm going to guess (though you'd need to confirm it on the GAPSC Web site) that you could qualify to teach chemistry by passing the GACE chemistry exam.

I'm not in Georgia, but if I were hiring science teachers, I'd prefer the BS in a science plus teaching credential to the bachelor's in education with science as add-on.

As to the GPA, if you work on raising it in your remaining semesters, you should be all right.

4. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Mar 26, 2012

I would also talk to the education and career services departments at your school. They should be able to tell you more information on what is the most marketable in your area.