A few questions for SECOND GRADE TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by McKennaL, Feb 17, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 17, 2010

Hi 2nd Grade teachers!

I want THIS year to be the one that I not only knock it out of the park with my interviews…but one in which I grow in knowledge as well.

I would like to ask you….

What are the major issues facing teachers of the second grade?

And

If you were placed on a committee to hire another teacher for your school (for the second grade) and could ask two questions to prove that they were ready to teach this grade level, what would they be? What would YOU be looking for in this candidate?

As I say…I’m preparing for interview season – but I also what to grow as a teacher of ANY grade…so I will be asking this of teachers throughout the grade forums. I appreciate any help you can give!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 17, 2010

I serve on our hiring committee. We ask a lot of questions about the teaching of literacy with our candidates for any grade K-4. We use a reading and writing workshop philosophy and want to know that candidates are familiar with this approach and aren't tied to one 'packaged program' way of thinking. We also ask candidates to describe what one would see if walking by their classroom.

We look for intelligence, a desire to work as part of a team, someone interested in continued personal growth as a professional educator, and passion.

4. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Feb 28, 2010

First I would say we do not have "issues" we have "challenges". :)
    I would say for 2nd grade it is reading comprehension. Many students come to us as strong "word solvers" bu have not begun to think while they read. This is the beginning stage for them. On the behavior side this age loves to talk all day. You really have to find ways to get them talking in a productive way and not something that becomes distraction.

My two questions would be: What are your classroom management philosophies and practices? How would ou differentiate in your classroom?

In our school we do everything as a team so the candidate would need to be a team player willing to conform to MANY changes.

Good luck!