A few questions for FOURTH GRADE TEACHERS

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by McKennaL, Feb 17, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 17, 2010

Hi 4th Grade teachers!

I want THIS year to be the one that I not only knock it out of the park with my interviews…but one in which I grow in knowledge as well.

I would like to ask you….

What are the major issues facing teachers of the fourth grade?

And

If you were placed on a committee to hire another teacher for your school (for the fourth grade) and could ask two questions to prove that they were ready to teach this grade level, what would they be? What would YOU be looking for in this candidate?

As I say…I’m preparing for interview season – but I also what to grow as a teacher of ANY grade…so I will be asking this of teachers throughout the grade forums. I appreciate any help you can give!

3. BB0211

BB0211 Companion

Mar 4, 2010

What are the major issues facing teachers of the fourth grade?

***Hormones. School was fine and dandy until these poor kids' bodies start acting up on them! They have too many emotions to handle by the time January rolls around. It really impeded their learning when they cannot let go what has happened at recess or that someone may not like them. I taught third and fourth grade and this was a HUGE difference in the ages.

My first question is more general...

"I tell you you have to teach a fourth grade class a lesson on minerals. Tell me five important pieces of information you need to know to teach the lesson effectively."

Second question... (This is common in all grades-but really starts to pick up in 4th grade)
    What would you do for a child that lacked motivation in the classroom?

4. Love4thgrade

Love4thgrade New Member

Mar 4, 2010

Major issues?

**Teaching responsibility & independence. I have seen that students in fourth grade must become more responsible and independent than they have in previous grades and some aren't ready for that responsibility.

Questions:

**What would you do to communicate with parents?

**How would you handle an angry parent?

5. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Mar 6, 2010

I've noticed that the major issue is their level of maturity. In September they really feel like 3rd graders. By June you have 5th graders! At some point in the middle there is a drastic change. They go from "babies" to "young adults" (for lack of a better word) in one year. It seems like there is a steeper step for them to climb once they enter 4th grade.

That being said... knowing that you come with a group that needs you to hold their hand more often... and you want to end with a group that you can truly set free... I would ask what their classroom management strategies are for helping students who are expected to grow into true independent learners and thinkers.

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 10, 2010

These are great helps... Thank you, all!!

(keep them coming!!)

7. Pac

Pac Rookie

Apr 1, 2010

My questions would be:

How would you make your teaching relevant to your kids lives?

Describe what rigor looks like in your classroom?

Hope this helps!!

8. Regulators4

Regulators4 Rookie

Apr 8, 2010

I am going to be getting a teacher partner, and we'll be interviewing candidates after Spring Break. I get to be involved in the interview process, and these would be two of the questions I might ask candidates:

1.) How do you promote differentiation in your classroom so that each child can feel "involved" in the lessons that you are teaching?

2.) What are some ways that you would get people (parents, grandparents, community, etc.) involved in your classroom?

Just my two cents!