A few questions for FIRST GRADE TEACHERS

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by McKennaL, Feb 17, 2010.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Feb 17, 2010

Hi 1st Grade teachers!

I want THIS year to be the one that I not only knock it out of the park with my interviews…but one in which I grow in knowledge as well.

I would like to ask you….

What are the major issues facing teachers of the first grade?

And

If you were placed on a committee to hire another teacher for your school from the first grade and could ask two questions to prove that they were ready to teach this grade level, what would they be? What would YOU be looking for in this candidate?

As I say…I’m preparing for interview season – but I also what to grow as a teacher of ANY grade…so I will be asking this of teachers throughout the grade forums. I appreciate any help you can give!

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Feb 17, 2010

The most important thing in first grade is reading. Students are expected to come in not knowing much and leaving at a fluent level.

What I would look for in a new teacher would be: How would your literacy program (reading, writing, and phonics) be set up? Tell me about your classroom management skills (behavior system as well as organization).

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Feb 18, 2010

First grade is a tough grade to teach, management-wise. They are still very, very young, are used to going to school for a half day (usually) and are generally not good independent workers.

First graders have to live up to a lot of expectations, the most important of course is learning to read, but this is the year that they really learn how to be elementary students. A first grade teacher needs immense patience and understanding, but also needs to be able to be very firm.

If I were to interview a candidate for my grade level, I would be sure to ask about your reading program. I would also love to hear how you implement routines and procedures as well as consequences and rewards in your classroom management.

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2010

Hi:D