A few questions about Canada

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ally06, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jul 11, 2011

I am going a six month holiday to Canada and the US (mainly Canada) and have a few questions before I leave (next week:eek:)
    I willbe buying a new sim card for my phone and prepaid internet for my laptop - are there any phone companies better than others to go through?

This might sound silly but are medications like iron andvitamin d tablets sold over the counter? I'm assuming they are but need to make sure! I'm already bringing 6 months worth of all my prescription meds so would rather buy the things I can over there

Who do I need to tip and how much? Tipping is not really part of our culture so it will be something I really need to think about!

Any must dos in Canada? I will be in Ontario first but will be heading west and have some of my trip still unplanned so am open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

The primary cell phone/internet service providers in Ontario are probably Rogers and Bell. Both offer Internet and prepaid cell service. You can order online or both have stores all over the province. There are also several other cell providers, like Fido and Virgin Mobile, but I'm not sure if they have Internet as well (I don't think they do).

I've never had to purchase iron supplements, but vitamins are available over the counter; I presume that iron, like other supplements, is the same. You would need to go to a drug store/pharmacy (like Shopper's Drug Mart or Rexall) or a superstore like WalMart; vitamins aren't available in grocery stores.

Tipping is expected in sit-down service restaurants, 15% to 20% is typical for good service. You would also tip service providers, like a hair dresser, using the same scale.

Have you decided where you'll be staying when you are here?

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 11, 2011

You may need a prescription for iron. They are behind the counter in my province (out west) and some pharmacists won't give it to you. My sister lives further west (B.C.) then me and she just has to tell the pharmacist the dosage that she needs and she is able to get it. All other supplements should be over the counter.

Telus is another service provider. I would look up all three companies and compare their coverage in the areas you may travel to. I'm leaning towards Rogers though...the service with Telus is not that great.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 11, 2011

Iron is over the counter in the US, so maybe you could pick some up on that part of your trip.

6. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jul 11, 2011

Thanks everyone, that is really helpful!

MrsC, I have a week or two of accomm booked in Toronto and I will use that time to have a look around before I make any definite plans so I can make a more informed decision.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2011

If you want to PM me about when you'll be in the Toronto area, I can give you some suggestions of things to see/do while you're here.