A few Football Quotes.....

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Major, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

The only season is Football Season........:p

#1. 'Football is only a game. Spiritual things are eternal. Nevertheless, Beat Texas ' Seen on a church sign in Arkansas, prior to the 1969 game.
    #2. 'After you retire, there's only one big event left... and I ain't ready for that.' Bobby Bowden / Florida State
    #3. 'The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.' Lou Holtz / Arkansas
    #4. 'When you win, nothing hurts.' Joe Namath / Alabama
    #5. 'Motivation is simple. You eliminate those who are not motivated.' Lou Holtz / Arkansas
    #6. 'If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, 'Roll, tide, roll!' Bear Bryant / Alabama
    #7. 'A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.' Frank Leahy / Notre Dame
    #8. 'There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.' Woody Hayes / Ohio State
    #9. 'I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation.' Bob Devaney / Nebraska
    #10. 'In Alabama , an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in Bear Bryant.' Wally Butts / Georgia
    #11. 'You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in life.' Paul Dietzel / LSU
    #12. 'It's kind of hard to rally around a math class.' Bear Bryant / Alabama
    #13.. When asked if Fayetteville was the end of the world. 'No, but you can see it from here.' Lou Holtz / Arkansas ....
    #14. 'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' Bear Bryant / Alabama
    #15. 'There's one sure way to stop us from scoring-give us the ball near the goal line.' Matty Bell / SMU
    #16. 'Lads, you're not to miss practice unless your parents died or you died.' Frank Leahy / Notre Dame
    #17. 'I never graduated from Iowa , but I was there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's.' Alex Karras / Iowa
    #18. 'My advice to defensive players: Take the shortest route to the ball and arrive in a bad humor.' Bowden Wyatt / Tennessee
    #19. 'I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades.' Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State
    #20. 'Always remember... Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David.' Shug Jordan / Auburn
    #21. 'They cut us up like boarding house pie. And that's real small pieces.' Darrell Royal / Texas
    #22. 'Show me a good and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.' Knute Rockne / Notre Dame
    #23. 'They whipped us like a tied up goat.' Spike Dykes / Texas Tech
    #24. 'I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me and he said: 'Well, Walt, we took a look at you and you weren't any good.' Walt Garrison / Oklahoma State
    #25. 'Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel.' Bobby Bowden / Florida State
    #26. 'Football is not a contact sport - it is a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.' Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State
    #27. After USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his postgame message to his team: 'All those who need showers, take them.' John McKay / USC
    #28. 'If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education.'Murray Warmath / Minnesota
    #29. 'The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb.. To be a back, you only have to be dumb..' Knute Rockne / Notre Dame
    #30. 'Oh, we played about like three tons of buzzard puke this afternoon.' Spike Dykes / Texas Tech
    #31. 'It isn't necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it.' Knute Rockne / Notre Dame
    #32. 'We live one day at a time and scratch where it itches.' Darrell Royal / Texas
    #33. 'We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking.' Wilson Matthews / Little Rock Central High School
    #34. 'Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad. Darrell Royal / University of Texas
    #35. 'I've found that prayers work best when you have big players.' Knute Rockne / Notre Dame
    #36. 'Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football.' John Heisman

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

Sorry- baseball isn't over yet- at least here in the NYC area...Go Yankees...

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical
    - Yogi Berra

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalised for too many players on the field
    - Jim Boulton

All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever lived."
    - Ted Williams

A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz.
    - Humphrey Bogart

The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love.
    - Bryant Gumbel

Life is like a baseball game. When you think a fastball is coming, You gotta be ready to hit the curve.
    - Jaja Q

If a man can beat you, walk him.
    - Leroy (Satchel) Paige

Hitting is 50% above the shoulders.
    - Ted Williams

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

I have to assume God loves Yogi Berra..... because I know I do...

:hugs::hugs: to you, cza.......

Major

-------------------------

Just a bit more of Yogi..... (I could read these daily and still laugh everytime...)

"All pitchers are liars or crybabies."

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Source: Baseball Digest (June 1987)

"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical."

"Bill Dickey is learning me his experience."

"He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

"How can a you hit and think at the same time?"

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

"I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I don't understand is how he lost five."

"I don't know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads."

"If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?"

"I'm a lucky guy and I'm happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary."

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

"In baseball, you don't know nothing."

"I never blame myself when I'm not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn't my fault that I'm not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?"

"I never said most of the things I said."

"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

"It gets late early out there."

"I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house."

"It's like deja vu all over again."

"I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. I'd never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field."

"Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets." Source: Catcher in the Wry (Bob Uecker)

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental." Source: Sports Illustrated (May 14, 1979)

"Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded."

"So I'm ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face."

"Take it with a grin of salt."

"The game's isn't over until it's over."

"The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise, they won't come to yours."

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going because you might not get there."

"We made too many wrong mistakes."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2009

6. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Oct 23, 2009

I've got one to add!

"If all I ever taught you was how to block and tackle, then I have failed you as a coach." -Ed Thomas R.I.P

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 23, 2009

These are all great. I've enjoyed reading them. Thanks for the smile! :)

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 23, 2009

If everyone would read and reread Yogi quotes when waking up in the morning.... the world would be a better place.....

The two that really crack are:

--- "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

--- "If people don't want to come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?"

God Bless Yogi........:):)

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

John Mckay, presiding over the hapless Tampa Bay Bucs the first year.
    Coach, what do you think about the execution of your offense?
    he replied, I'm for it.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2009

Let me chime in with my love of Yogi!!!

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2009

Here are a few of my favs from some of my favs in the sports world!!!

This is from the movie The Replacements, but I think it can go with any sport. I made a poster for my neighbor for basketball with this quote!!!

"Winners always want the ball... when the game is on the line. "
    - Movie Replacements

“What the mind can conceive, the mind can achieve and those who stay will be champions.” Bo Schembechler

“When your team is winning, be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft; on the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing.” Bo Schembechler

"I was told I would never make it because I'm too short. Well, I'm still too short. ... It doesn't matter what your height is, it's what's in your heart.” - Kirby Puckett quote

"The biggest difference is in the leadership. It was better for us. We had more coaches and mentors to help us. A lot of the younger players today suffer from a lack of direction." Isiah Thomas

“If all I'm remembered for is being a good basketball player, then I've done a bad job with the rest of my life.” Isiah Thomas

"Don't call us (ballplayers) heroes. Fireman are heroes." Source: The Detroit News (September 27, 1999) Sparky Anderson

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2009

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

So far Bo's team has turned over the ball five times to Iowa State in just three quarters... Don't watch kc....... It's ugly....

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 24, 2009

I am. I'm getting ready to leave. It's painful.

15. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 24, 2009

It's even more painful now.... I lost track of the turnovers....