a ferret...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Danny'sNanny, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2006

I am in love with a cat. A little kitten ran into the apartment last night when we opened the door. He is so cute and funny, but he really acts (and looks) like he has a home.

But, Cat made me want a pet (well, we've been thinking about it for a while), but bf wants a ferret. He's had one before; I haven't. I know nothing about them.

Have any of you had one? I'm thinking maybe Christmas present here, so I need to make up my mind (he's been asking for months).

I'm worried about the smell. Three boys living together aren't really the best at cleaning, so that's my worry with any pet.

3. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Dec 10, 2006

I used to have two of them. They are very lovable and fun, but you're right: they do smell. If you give them a bath once a week, that cuts down on the smell, but they always have a bit of a musty odor. I had a small female and a big male, and the female hardly smelled at all, so that could be something to consider.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

Even when you have their glands removed, they still do smell. But they are highly entertaining! You'd never be bored.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

I had a friend that had a pair and she had trouble keeping up with them. No matter what she did to the door of their cage, they were able to get it opened. (They are HIGHLY intelligent.) They were a hoot to play with. They aren't pets you can just have and play with when you want, though.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 10, 2006

And they do need about 3 hours a day, every day, out of their cage.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 10, 2006

My son had 2 ferrets. They were funny...but they smelled. There was no way to keep up with the smell. They also bite. Not the greatest pet. Very cute and funny to watch when there is more than one, but you tire of the daily care required. They have to be handled a lot and even then, they will escape if they can and they get into everything you can possibly imagine.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2006

I really want to keep the cat we found. He's a sweetheart and I'm getting very attatched. I'm going to be really sad if we find his family...even though that's probably best, because they probably miss him.
    I really hate pet smells, and that's why I've put off getting the ferret for so long. I just don't know how long I can put it off, because bf loves ferrets...

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Don't get a ferret...seriously. They really stink a lot. We would take care of our son's when he would go on vacation and I was constantly cleaning their cage. They say you can potty train them and let them run in the house, but that's not true. They will poop all over and when they use the litter pan in their cage, it gets dirty...very smelly every single day. They are not like a cat. They just run and run and run and get into the cupboards and make messes...plus there are safety issues. They have done some real damage to babies and you don't want to be liable or responsible for something like that.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

I personally would never want one as a pet, but I do think they are adorable. I don't have any personal experience with them though so I can't offer any advice, but the advice you have been given so far seems very knowledgable.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

The more I think about it, I think you should just keep the cat!;) Consider it a sign from God! ;)

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2006

The apartment complex let us put up a sign in the laundry room, but no one has called us about that or reported him missing to the front office. There's just too many people; I don't think we're going to find his family.

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2006

...and I've been wanting a cat for months
    ...and he doesn't smell

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Yep...sounds like a sign to me!!! :D

15. Starivy

Starivy Companion

Dec 11, 2006

We tried the ferret thing a few years ago. I thought they were so cute and didn't want the commitment of having a dog yet. We bought little Rocco from Petco and he was adorable!!! But also very mischievous. He got into everything. He was a riot to watch when he would climb up the couch and squeeze himself behind the couch cushions. He would then pop his little head and and attack you. But boy did he smell! I never got used to it and long story short my husband never grew fond of him so I took him back 3 days later. We got a dog shortly after that and love him to death! I would also suggest a cat, they are easy to take care of!

16. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Dec 11, 2006

Awww! Keep the cat:love: ! They are great pets. One of the parents of 2 boys at my childcare center found a cat last week in an abandoned building. Looks like he is someone's pet...looks well fed and clean, healthy (she took him to the vet), litter trained, and friendly as anything. She doesn't know if she can keep him so I told her to let me know if she doesn't find his owner. I think Holly would like a little brother:angel: !

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2006

I've seen ferrets squeeze under a closed door - in one inch or so. They are amazing. But, I'd go for the cat, too.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Alright.......I don't know much about ferrets, except my daughter's friend had one that bit. Why do they smell? Are they related to skunks? Sorry if that is a silly question, but I really don't know much about them.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 11, 2006

They are related to ermine, actually. They have glands that make them smell. It's not that they are dirty. I had two on a trial basis in my classroom. The trial didn't last long because I quickly saw that I couldn't possibly give them the freedom they needed. But, they didn't bite and were sooooo hysterical. A student (mom is a biologist) took them and they are all very happy. The mom doesn't work, and she loves them. They have a certain area of the house to roam and they get into mischief, but not destructive stuff. (they remind me of twin toddler boys). Occasionally, they bring them in to school to visit.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Thanks Grammy and Daisy. Very interesting little creatures!