A fellow teacher was blindsided!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Jun 11, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2012

One of my co-workers just gave me a call saying she received an email saying she was fired.:eek: She had been given no previous warnings or evaluations telling her where she needed to improve. The email gave no reason for why she was fired. In fact, there was no email. Just a subject title: please print card, and the termination letter attached.

Now I'm all freaked out about my job security. Whose to say the same won't happen to me?:unsure: I just dug up my contract, just to be sure. It ends in December. I think I'll look for new jobs in a few months just to be sure. This whole thing is really crazy.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

I don't understand the email subject title. Any chance this isn't authentic?

4. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

Sorry about your co-worker.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2012

Eek...sounds horrible! Is this "acceptable" in you area? :(

6. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 11, 2012

I would have to call to validate the authenticity of that email. I also don't understand the title.

7. drooping_cactus

drooping_cactus Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I think the title is saying that the OP's coworker was blindsided because the coworker's termination came out of no where.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2012

How unprofessional!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

It's not the title of this thread that is being questioned:dizzy:
    It's the title of the email "please print card":huh:

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 11, 2012

When I spoke with her I told her to go in tomorrow and demand a reason. I mean she deserves an explanation. At least to learn how to improve in the future.

I wouldn't say something like this is "acceptable", but because it's a very small school they can basically do anything they want. For example, I hardly ever get paid on time. And if she wanted to take it to court it'd be a huge waste of time and money, everything is extremely inefficient here.

At least I know to be on my toes now.:mellow:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

They can do what they want as long as staff are willing to work under such conditions.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Wow, I sure hope that she goes in an asks a few questions. She at least deserves a reason for the unexpected firing.

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jun 12, 2012

I'm going to agree with everyone else who is questioning the validity of that email, especially due to the unusual title.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2012

If the email is authentic, that's horrible. Has she talked with the school yet to get more information on the authenticity of the email, and to get a reason if she is really being let go of?

15. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 12, 2012

If it is authentic, it's horribly unprofessional. She definitely needs to follow up about this and get the teacher's union involved if they have one.

16. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 12, 2012

I have heard from friends that teachers at their schools were told the last day of school via e-mail that they were not coming back next year. I would be flabbergasted if I was told that way, with no face to face conversation and a reason as to why.

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

I would check to see if it's legit. Seems odd.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 12, 2012

If it is true, then I hope she is able to quickly find a teaching position and I'm sure it will be a huge improvement to get out of such a school who would... EMAIL!?!... a teacher that she lost her position. :(

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

From what I know, she didn't go to talk to get a reason as to why she was let go. She told the teachers and now the morale of the school is extremely low. She was a well liked teacher and now the rest of us feel like we constantly have to watch our back. One teacher is already looking for a new position.

I think she'll get a new job fairly easily, she speaks 3 languages fluently and that's the kind of thing schools look for here. But still, really shady way of telling her about it.

20. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 12, 2012

So sad. Whatever the circumstances surrounding her leaving the school, I hope she will find a school that she will be a best fit for;and I hope she goes in to ask for a letter of recommendation or reference so she can move on with proof she has teaching experience.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

She should at least ask for an exit interview...she deserves some answers.

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 12, 2012

Sad thing is, even though she deserves answers, they don't have to give her any. Around here non-tenured teachers can be let go with no reason what so ever. :/

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2012

UPDATE:

SO! Yesterday without talking to the director, she went and told all the kids she was leaving. Kids are crying and writing her goodbye messages.

Someone tells me today that the whole thing was a mix up! *face palm* The director meant to send it to the office to print it out, then talk to the teacher and see whether or not she wanted to renew.

I feel really bad for her, but at the same time I would have NEVER told the kids without talking to the director first. Evidently, the director is going to go ahead and let her go now because the teacher's already gone and told the kids.

24. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 13, 2012

I don't buy that. There are a lot of incompetent administrators out there, but that takes the cake. Sounds to me like a cop out by the director, and that he or she had no intention of renewing the teacher's contract.

25. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 13, 2012

Sounds like a lot of bull on the admin's part. :/

26. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2012

The whole thing is a bunch of bull. The director sending out that email, the teacher telling the kids before she spoke with the director... I don't know what's going on, I'm just glad it's not happening to me... yet...