A different experience

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by newbie87, Dec 2, 2009.

1. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

Today, I was walking to the writing center and noticed some of the kids writing letters. I asked who are you writing to. Some said mommy, brother/sister/whover, but one girl said my daddy in jail. :eek: I just nodded and walked off to another group. Have you experiened anything like before and what have you said/done?

3. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Dec 3, 2009

Well you could go with the sincere "I know he'll be so glad to get your letter." And just focus on the letter itself. I personally wouldn't ask her any questions. I have not had the experience myself.

4. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 3, 2009

yes, I have. I just let them know that it is nice of them to write their daddy a letter. If they want to discuss the situation I will listen otherwise I just act like I would with any other child that is writing a letter to a family member.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Dec 3, 2009

oh yes! One year I had a dad of one child in jail and a mom of another one in jail

6. newbie87

newbie87 Comrade

Dec 4, 2009

Thanks for the answers. :) It was just surreal to hear a four year old say that.

7. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Dec 4, 2009

I had two students come up to me at different times during the same day to tell me that their parents were getting out of jail soon. I just smiled and asked them if they were excited. Then they went on their merry way! :)

The saddest story that I've heard was from a colleague who said that on career day they invited a police officer to come to the class. One of the students went up to him and asked him to handcuff him. The officer asked him why he needed to be handcuffed, and the student told him that he would be able to see his dad if he arrested him. :(

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Dec 4, 2009

My GS sperm donor is often in jail. For the child it is a natural part of their life. We have finally convinced my GS not to share so much info with everyone.

9. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 5, 2009

Yes, all the time. I have worked in title 1 schools my entire career and this is pretty much par for the course. All of our teachers dread the "J word" (jail) because the minute somebody says it several others chime in with "my daddy's in jail too". If I was in your situation I would say "That's great that you're writing to your daddy, I'm sure he will be so happy to get your letter!". Whenever my students say "my daddy is in jail." I usually respond with "But he still loves you and thinks about you all the time."