A decision

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RU92, Jun 25, 2007.

  1. RU92

    RU92 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 25, 2007

    OK, let me start by saying that I consider myself lucky to even have this decision to make; I don't take it for granted. Here's the problem: I just taught my first year in Westchester County, NY, but I was excessed. Now I've been offerred a teaching position at a school in NY City. Do I take the City job or do I hold out for what I would consider a (presumably) better job near where I live in Westchester? OR do I take the City job and wait till something "better" comes along...and then bail out of the City job if indeed I get something else? (FYI, I have a Masters and I am a male teaacher.)

    Thanks for any thoughts!
     
  2.  
  3. czacza

    czacza Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2001
    Messages:
    24,959
    Likes Received:
    2,116

    Jun 25, 2007

    Is 'excessed' a term for 'let go'? If so, I'd say consider the NYC job. Many NYC schools are now on board with Columbia University's Reading and Writing Project-if the school you are considering is one of these it will be a great learning experience for you. When do you have to let the NYC school know your decision? July can be a big hiring month as teachers in many district have 60 days notice to give if they are leaving their jobs so next week will be the week to look for new listings. Considering though that there are HUNDREDS of resumes submitted for every job opening in the NY/NJ metropolitan area you may want to consider that a bird in the hand (NYC) is worth 2 in the bush...Having a Masters and being a male don't necessarily get you the job...
     
  4. RU92

    RU92 Rookie

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0

    Jun 25, 2007

    Thanks for the input. Yes, excessed means that they cut my position because of lack of funds and/or there are too many teachers and not enough students -- it was a private school. I'm leaning toward taking the NYC gig because of that reasoning you mentioned (bird/bush), but, to complicate matters, taking it will also adversely affect a summer school position I had accepted -- the City job requires a week away for prof. dev. in July, and that would mean I can't take the summer school position.
     
  5. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,606
    Likes Received:
    2,714

    Jul 17, 2007

    What did you end up deciding to do?
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. Missy,
  2. vickilyn,
  3. TeacherNY
Total: 288 (members: 4, guests: 250, robots: 34)
test