A decision

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by RU92, Jun 25, 2007.

1. RU92

RU92 Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

OK, let me start by saying that I consider myself lucky to even have this decision to make; I don't take it for granted. Here's the problem: I just taught my first year in Westchester County, NY, but I was excessed. Now I've been offerred a teaching position at a school in NY City. Do I take the City job or do I hold out for what I would consider a (presumably) better job near where I live in Westchester? OR do I take the City job and wait till something "better" comes along...and then bail out of the City job if indeed I get something else? (FYI, I have a Masters and I am a male teaacher.)

Thanks for any thoughts!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2007

Is 'excessed' a term for 'let go'? If so, I'd say consider the NYC job. Many NYC schools are now on board with Columbia University's Reading and Writing Project-if the school you are considering is one of these it will be a great learning experience for you. When do you have to let the NYC school know your decision? July can be a big hiring month as teachers in many district have 60 days notice to give if they are leaving their jobs so next week will be the week to look for new listings. Considering though that there are HUNDREDS of resumes submitted for every job opening in the NY/NJ metropolitan area you may want to consider that a bird in the hand (NYC) is worth 2 in the bush...Having a Masters and being a male don't necessarily get you the job...

4. RU92

RU92 Rookie

Jun 25, 2007

Thanks for the input. Yes, excessed means that they cut my position because of lack of funds and/or there are too many teachers and not enough students -- it was a private school. I'm leaning toward taking the NYC gig because of that reasoning you mentioned (bird/bush), but, to complicate matters, taking it will also adversely affect a summer school position I had accepted -- the City job requires a week away for prof. dev. in July, and that would mean I can't take the summer school position.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

What did you end up deciding to do?