A day in the life?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Teach_NJ, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Teach_NJ

Teach_NJ Rookie

Feb 28, 2009

Please tell me about a day in the life of a K or 1st grade sub. What are the lesson plans like? What do you do with them all day? How do you maintain control of the class? Do you ever come up with "filler" yourself, or do schools look down on that?

What about 2nd-5th? I'm sure it's much different from a K or 1st class. How is it different? How does your day go?

Which grade do you prefer and why? What would be the best level for a brand new sub to start with?

3. Ross

Ross Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

I have found the lesson plans for the substitute to be well organized for these grade levels.

Although I substitute all grade levels, I am a frequent substitute at grade 5, so will address that grade.

In my area, the students go to different classes and teachers for each subject. So you will only be teaching a single subject such as math, science, reading, music, or phys ed.

Unlike many upper level assignments, expect to actually stand in front of the group and teach. Don't panic if you do not know the material. At that level you can review the textbook or other materials available in the class and quickly get up to speed.

Grade 5 students are still eager to please, so behavior problems will not be a huge issue, although they do exist depending on the area you are in.

I always look forward to assignments at the 5th grade level.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2009

I have also found excellent lesson plans from most elementary teachers. And there is an expectation that I teach those lessons, not just babysit. In K-1 there is a little more leeway and the teachers just want you to keep the day going smoothly. If everything doesn't get taught to those grades, the teachers understand that there other factors involved with such young children.
    I love subbing 2nd grade. By this age, the children know what is expected of them as students and most are mature enough to follow through. They are very responsive to reward systems making behavioral issues easier to deal with. And 2nd graders generally have fun being in school.
    IMO, 1st grade is the toughest to teach. The kids are still very young and often stubborn. 1st grade is more structured than Kindergarten and some of the kids have a hard time adjusting. I've found this grade challenging behaviorally and I know many full time 1st grade teachers who also find it exhausting.

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

Mar 2, 2009

I have subbed K-6 and I taught kindergarten before we moved. I have found that with grades K-2 it sometimes help if you just know a few songs as a filler time for them. Especially before that final bell rings for the day. Books are also wonderful for those older kids. Any kind of picture book can keep them entertained. I have also played hangman with grades 2-4 before the bell rings to go home. The worst grade in my opinion is 6th. In fact, I don't even sub for 6th anymore. I got tired of their behaviors. I do best with grades 1-3.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 2, 2009

I leave plans for my kindergarten class and I definitely expect that they be taught to the best of the guest teacher's ability. That means guided reading, guided math, comprehension lessons, and intervention plans. It also means a read aloud, a short choice time and quiet reading. It is by no means babysitting and I schedule it out just like any other grade should.