A day early and I'm annoyed...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Andrea L, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I was on my way to a friends house today and thought I would stop by my school and see if I could pick up my keys. I live about 30 minutes from school and wanted to save gas by getting my keys today. I didn't plan on working in my classroom today, but thought it would be easier to grab my keys now.

Well, my principal wasn't there. I asked the office manager if I could pick up my keys and she said that my principal wasn't giving them out until the 1st. Yes, that is tomorrow and I pointed that out...but there was no budging. Luckily, one of the custodians let me into my room so that I could at least grab a bunch of my files so that I could bring them home and begin to organize them.

I brought enough stuff home that I won't have to go in for a couple of weeks now. I feel like I don't even want to put in the extra effort to make my classroom comforting and organized, because of this. I just have to keep reminding myself that I do it for me and my students and that is it!

3. PreKyay

PreKyay Companion

Aug 1, 2008

Well, I don't have any words of wisdom since I am not a seasoned teacher (or certified at that) yet...but from one night owl to another -- hugs.:hugs:

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 1, 2008

Oh, how annoying! Talk about someone on a power trip!

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

uggh...I understand trying to combine trips. I currently live about 45 minutes from my job (I'll be moving in a couple of months, but since I've been unemployed, I want to save up a few paychecks first), so I'm trying to kill 3 birds with one stone. Next Tuesday, I'm going to a professional development seminar, going to Human Resources to let them make a copy of my teaching certificate, and going to the school to pick up my keys and parking decal.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

That would be annoying. I'm frequently surprised how difficult it can be to get to work on time when we aren't even paid!

In my building, the primary hall has been done for two weeks and they can come and go, but it will be another week and a half until the intermediate hall is done and we are allowed in.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2008

That stinks. I never turned my key in. I wonder if I was suppose. I can get into my classroom starting Monday.

8. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

Sorry to hear about that... what a pain!!

We have the option of returning our keys at the end of the school year. I always keep mine. We have access to the building all summer long although there are a couple of days in August that they would like us to avoid because they are waxing the main hallway. Other than that, it's pretty open.

9. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

I'd say don't let that change your attitude to a negative one. Just overlook it. That person was probably told NOT to give out keys, and was just following orders. I know that if someone goes around what my principal says, they will catch heck for the rest of the year.....even if does seem like a small thing or an unfair thing. Continue looking enthusiastically towards getting into your room when you can and preparing for a GREAT positive year despite all the things that make us upset and angry.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2008

Yeah, that person was probably just doing what she has been told.

I have issues with going in "early" at my school. Sometimes the secretaries (and I love them) act like we are infringing on their private time. Hey, at least they are being paid to be there! When I'm there working I go into the office as little as possible.

11. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 1, 2008

Glad you got in your room. Remember you will be spending most of your time in your room. So make it special and a place you enjoy. Take a couple donuts or sweet treats and give to the janitor the next time you go to school, as a Thank You.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2008

It's summer schedule at schools. There could be many reasons why you couldn't get your key. (Custodial issues, safety or insurance reasons, one summer they re-keyed our building...) I went to school yesterday to drop off my contract and was hopoing to get my 'official' class list. There was only one secretary in the office- all admins were out- on vacation this week. Nothing is happening until next week- that's the life of schools in the summer. Don't be annoyed- just learn to call from now on before you take the drive. Schedules change in the summer-

13. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

So sorry you couldn't get your keys. I have my keys all year long and can come and go as I please. Although there are a few days during the summer when going is a No-No, when they are waxing the hallways! Don't ever get caught! Yes your footprints will show!! :whistle:

14. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

My secretary did that last year to certain people. If you came in early you had to track down the janitor to open your room. Some teachers she just let use her keys. We can't even come to our school until Monday. It has been closed all of July.

15. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 1, 2008

i don't turn mine in either! all we have to do is compare numbers on the key and in the office at the end of the year. i don't even let summer school teachers use my key just in case i don't trust them. (luckily it's a friend who is in my room, normally so it's not a big deal)

anywho...i'm surprised that they are so hard core on the date. ridiculous!

LC

16. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 1, 2008

I wish they would just give us our keys and let us keep them. I understand they don't want us in there until a certain date because they are cleaning. I also understand that I was a day early. I was just annoyed because I live further away than most of the staff and I wanted to pick them up because I was in the area. I will just wait until I'm out that way again and make sure to call my principal first.

17. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 1, 2008

We're allowed to keep our keys. I'm calling Monday to see when I can get in my room & use the laminator. During breaks I speak with the Janitor about when we're allowed in. They have specific schedules & I definitely understand how extra people can get in their way. Last year I was hired late and had only 2 days to set up my room. I'm looking forward to a more leisurely set up this year. :D

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2008

I too keep my keys all year. I'm sorry that were so strict about the date. I agree though that although this seems really annoying, its not worth it to get upset and take it out on your classroom or anything. :)

19. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 1, 2008

What a bummer!!! I'm so sorry this happened...

Don't let this discourage you, you will spend the best hours of your days in that room w/kids who deserve to be in an environment that's pleasing. There's just people who just don't understand.

We get to keep our keys. At the end of the school year I usually box up a bunch of stuff that I work on all summer long. I do like to drop stuff off as I buy things in the summer though.

Custodians are some of the most important people at school. When we have parties I always make sure mine have cupcakes, punch, whatever... At Christmas I always buy him at least a big can of popcorn. Thanksgiving, I've bought pies & given to him. It's amazing, my room is never skipped and one of the teachers that grip him out all the time has her room skipped all the time or her windows aren't cleaned at all. Make one of them mad and it can be a battle you'll lose.

20. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 2, 2008

Actually, the custodians and I get along very well. I also purchase things for them occasionally. We play jokes on eachother, etc. I was actually shocked the head custodian was rude to me (since he's the one that I joke with a lot), but I have to remember that he is probably stressed with all the work he has to finish soon. I think when I go in next week, I'll take both of them something small just to say thank-you for cleaning my room!

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 2, 2008

I can get in from my playground door anytime I want. We are just banned from the hallways for a couple of weeks. I go early in the morning after dropping my son off at football practice and work from 6-8. I get a lot done during this time without interruptions.