A couple of questions

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Jul 14, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

I have two rooms to set up this year, one of them Kindergarten and one Preschool. The Kindergarten room is looking great. The preschool room on the other hand has a way to go.

Here is my question- How much do you put out for them in each center. How many dolls? How many blocks? How many games? and so on. How much do you put on the shelf. I don't want to overwhelm them. I know I don't want to put too much out, especially at first.

How many centers or areas do you have in your room?

3. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I have Art, Dramatic Play, Blocks, Puzzles/Manipulatives, and Bucket Toys(Toys that don't really go anywhere else; dinosaurs; farm stuff).

We have a large amount of stuff in each center. So I store a lot of it in the basement and switch out each week. I put enough to fill the shelves, but not stuff them. I want them to put the containers back on the shelf with ease.

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

Thanks, that is what I was thinking too as far as amount on the shelves. I like your idea of Bucket toys too, I was wondering what to do with some of that.

So you do you have a math or science area?

5. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

In the Puzzles/Manipulatives area, there are a lot of math resources that I put in there.

I do have a science area, but I usually do science everyday as a class activity. We also do a math activity everyday too.

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 14, 2010

I have the following centers: Blocks/Train, Dramatic Play, Science& Sensory, Art & Literature, Books, Listening Center,Table Choices (manipulatives for the most part), Floor Choices and Games. Each center has a designated number of spaces available and I make sure that there are enough of the major props for that many children. The way I make it work is by having a bookshelf of art & literacy supplies that the children take to the table to use, they use the manipulatives at the tables too, as well as the games. Floor choices can be used in the empty area in the middle of the room. Books are in a book rack and the children can sit on the floor an look at them. The listening center is a small table with a tape player and container of story tape books. My circle area is set up along the wall where my dramatic play and block area are. When they are cleaned up there is plenty of room for the children to sit on the floor for circle.

7. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 16, 2010

Here is a link to the centers page on my website where I list all of my centers, you can click on each link and see a picture of each individual center and read a list of what is kept there. For the first day I don't put out half of what you see there. For puzzles I put out only 4 piece puzzles and only about 5.

High interest centers like playdough, blocks, art easel, and sensory table are going to be a must on the first day. I only put out the baby dolls and a few pieces of food and dishes on the first day, then when they are "trained" in how to use everything I put out more things. I don't put out any games in the very beginning because those are much more involved and take a long time to explain, only the really high interest hands-on things that I mentioned above.

You might find my center introduction document helpful, it outlines exactly how to introduce each center starting on the first day of school, it can be found on my Bootcamp page in the new teacher links section at the very bottom of the page.

8. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

I have started (last year) starting out with very little. Then gradually adding to the centers as we go through the year. It often makes it where it is not so overwhelming for them, or the entire classroom. I will also put "CLOSED" signs on various centers (after explaining what the sign means), and they know they can't use them.