A colleague of mine yells, yells, degrades, degrades

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 8, 2009

I feel so bad for her kids...there's been more than a few times I could hear her down the hall. It's not the yelling that gets to me - we're all guilty at some point - but it's what she says. She belittles them, the poor things. I wish there was something I could do, but I'm the non-confrontational type and refuse to snitch on her...:unsure:

Guess I'm looking to vent, I can't see a solution.

3. word girl

word girl Rookie

Dec 8, 2009

I had a colleague like that - unfortunately. Whenever I had the opportunity - in the hall, or if I dropped in her room, I would compliment the class in her presence. Not so much to make a point to her, as to give the class some needed positive feedback, but also, I hoped, to gently remind her how to be nice. I never said anything to her directly.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 8, 2009

Ugh, that is an awful situation. What if you offered to switch classes with her for an hour. My cluster-teammates do that often, to get to know the rest of the 2nd/3rd grade kids; and to give a teacher a break if she has a trying class (or just a trying week or day). You could arrange to come do an art project with her class while she reads a book and does a writing response, or something.

Just an idea.

Here's to the resilience of those kids!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2009

Is there a member of the admnistration you would feel comfortable talking to?

6. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Dec 9, 2009

I agree with word girl. I've had a co-worker like this before, and to be honest, there isn't much you can do (as you said). I did, like word girl, make it a POINT to stop her students in the hallways, etc. You might also suggest a shared storytime or some other activity where you mix your students.

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 9, 2009

Unfortunately, no.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 9, 2009

What a bummer! Unless parents complain there really isn't much you can do, and she's probably not going to change. To me, raising my voice at all is just too exhausting. Like one of the previous posters mentioned trading out kids occasionally just to give them a break.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 9, 2009

My admin would have a fit if we switched classes. Everything has to be structured, structured, planned, planned, and approved. It would never fly :(

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2009

If you've noticed, then surely others have as well.

Unless and until the parents get vocal, I don't think there's anything you can do.

11. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Dec 9, 2009

I have worked with a coworker that yells all the time. I feel as though talking to her children and making them feel welcome is the only think you can do. This are the students that I always make sure to tell good morning.

12. marrbarr

marrbarr Rookie

Dec 9, 2009

find a parent

If you know any of the parents of those children ask in a round about way how they like 2nd grade. If there seems to be some unhappiness, and you can TRUST that parent, slip them how you feel and tell them that it is up to them to protect their child and the others from this teacher. They can sit in the class forever, and we know that the teacher will be on her/his best behavior then, tape record, etc. Then go to the principal or higher if necessary and warranted.

13. wrice

wrice Habitué

Dec 9, 2009

There is a difference between being a strict or even demanding teacher and one who belittles or demeans kids. That is abuse, plain and simple, and my TX certification states that I have an obligation to report and deal with abuse; I imagine that is the same in most states.

I'd walk up to her all surprised one day and say, "oh my, I think I might have heard you calling that child this demeaning word- you know I really don't think you should do that! I'd hate for you to get in trouble!"

Silent bystanders are as guilty as the perpetrator. Pitying the children from afar does nothing for them- they deserve a certain amount of respect, support, and safety in order to trust and to be free of fear, before learning can take place.

I am not of the "there is nothing you can do" camp. I would not stand by idly if an adult kidnaps a child, I would not turn my back if an adult hits a child. Why is this constant yelling and demeaning from a supposedly trusted adult any different? I'd go so far as to say the lasting effects might even be worse. Please, do what you can to protect these kids!

14. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Dec 10, 2009

This is an issue that the administration and the parents of the children in her class need to deal with. Do not get yourself involved unless it is a truly dangerous situation for the children. I have known teachers who have yelled at their children,yet got excellent results and really cared about their children.

15. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2009

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

To the OP, being confrontational might be outside of your comfort zone. But is letting kids get abused by their teacher closer to your comfort zone? Is that really the kind of teacher -- the kind of person -- you want to be?

You're an adult. Stop acting like a scared little child, buck up, and confront her. Or if she has some power over you, go to administration. If they're not responsive, the school board. If they're not responsive, an anonymous note to the parents.

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 10, 2009

It is the administration's job to handle this. Make an appointment with an administrator, express your concerns in private, and let them go from there. Even if they don't do anything right away, they will be more aware and watching. They can't discipline her on the basis of what you say, anyway, they need more evidence, imo.