A Child's Memory Book

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by mudpie1598, Sep 14, 2007.

1. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Sep 14, 2007

I have a child who will be leaving me in a month. He has been my student since July. The mom has requested for me to make a memory book for her child so that he leaves with some visual memories. She mentioned something about me taking pictures of him while he's doing his work or even include work samples. Does anyone know what she's talking about? Possibly has sample or printable samples in .pdf or word format that I can use?:unsure:

Thanks!:help:

3. buddah96

buddah96 New Member

Sep 14, 2007

we do a memory book at the end of the year for each child.
    we take pictures throughout the year of the child and their friends and i always try to keep about 2 pieces of the work that they do a month. the parents love them. i also put a pic of me and that child at the end with a nice poem.i dont have a sample because each childs is different, you use their own unique work.
    hope this helps.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 14, 2007

Sounds like she's wanting photos of her son doing what is usually done in your class...writing, coloring, playing with friends outside, eating snack, etc..
    I did this for my 3 yr. olds many years ago and it gave the parents a glimpse into our daily routine. :)

5. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

We always did a memory book at the end of the year, that would include pictures, kids writing, etc....

I personally think this parent is being a bit demanding! He hasn't even been with you for 3 months. She is expecting you to take the pictures, print/develop the pictures and make a memory book just for her son? I think I would have to say, "I'm sorry, but we make our memory books at the end of the school year. I would be happy to send home a couple of pictures and work samples and you and your child could work together to assemble a memory book." (He will be going to another school and odds are they will make some kind of memory book there.) :2cents:

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

Tell her that you'd love to take photos for her and request that she bring you a disposable camera. When you're done taking photos; just give her the camera to develop on her own time and money.
    If I were her (MOM); I would be more than happy to bring a camera! :love:

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2007

At the end of the year last year, we gave our students scrapebooks. Pages of stuff they had done throughout the year, pictures of them at class parties. But I agree that its only the beginning of the year so you don't have a lot of that stuff.

8. devama

devama Companion

Sep 15, 2007

Its pretty blunt for her to ask you to do this. I like the idea of asking her to provide the camera. Do you have extra time to take on this project?

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

As far as the work samples are concerned, I would just hold back some of his classroom paper work/art, put them in a folder and hand them to her. Pretty much, she could do that herself with the papers that are sent home. I wouldn't even dream of doing a scrap book. As a mom, I would never ask a teacher to do that. As a teacher, I would be shocked if a mom asked me to do that! That's something she could do/should do for her own son. I've done that with my son's special papers/art and he's now in 7th grade!

10. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Sep 15, 2007

I don't have the time at all. Grades are due by the end of this week parent conferences are the week after. I have a class full of ELL (English Language Learners) so, I have to also put together some work for them in an ELD folder, complete it and turn it in for evaluation.

I really don't know when or how I'm going to do this, but I'll just take maybe one picture of her child and then make a photoshop-like 8 1/2 by 11 thing for her to keep. I'm not sure.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 15, 2007

I, too, think the mom is asking a bit much. I'd invite her in to take some pictures, and maybe decorate a folder to store some artwork and a goodbye letter from you. (As decorations, maybe the class could all write their names and draw a picture of themselves?). Tell her that this is a really busy time of the year, and you aren't really crafty, but you'd be more than happy to allow her to come in and take pictures.
    Kim

12. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Nov 30, 2007

What I did

It was really a busy time for me and I told the mom on the last day that I was unable to put anything together for her child, but that I would "mail" her a picture that I had taken of the both of them during our last field trip. 'Till this day, I haven't been able to print out the picture and mail it to her. Oh well...

Thank you all for your suggestions. :2up: