A Child in Need of Help! Anyone with Cochlear Implant Knowledge/Experience Needed.

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by jennydvt42, Aug 18, 2006.

1. jennydvt42

jennydvt42 Rookie

Aug 18, 2006

Hi guys.

Well.... I'm in a pickle :confused: . I need some ideas on activities to help a second grade student with a Cochlear Implant. The IEP goals for this child are basically stating the need for acquisition of spoken/oral language. (At present I believe the child is on a preschool level. Also, did I mention that our school system has not hired a Deaf Education Teacher & this child has been in our school since Kindergarten. In addition, at the present time this particular child does not have a language facilitator. The whole situation is frustrating and infuriating :mad: )

Does anyone have any language activities that might be of help? This is my third year teaching and first ever encountering a child with a hearing disability.

Since the child is obviously well below grade level, what do you suggest as far as issuing our leveled curriculum textbooks and homework assignments(which are in Reading and Spelling).

I realize that the student cannot read or even possibly follow along in a textbook, but I do not want to single s/he out by not supplying books. I would like to supply homework assignments that would increase his oral language, but really don’t know what that needs to be.

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or information they could share. This child is in desperate need of help.

Thanks!

3. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 19, 2006

He has an IEP stating his goals but no one to provide special services? Is the school in the process of doing this? I would take this straight to the head of the SPED department and ask for advice. It may be that he was overlooked when palanning was done for pull out services. I can't believe he doesn't have a one-on-one language facilitator. Have you met with his parents? I wonder why this is ok with them? Is it possible to speak with his first grade teacher? Are there notes/records in his cummulative file about previous services? This doesn't sound right that he's just suddenly in your room with no info sent to you. Keep us posted...you've got me curious now.

4. MamaJ

MamaJ Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

I agree with Anne, I would take it straight to your special education administrator and demand to know why this child is not getting required services. It is mandatory that he be getting speech services and deaf ed. services. Also, talk to the parents and find out when he got the implant and what services he is getting on a private basis. Find out the audiologist and talk to her and see what her recommendation are. You may need some support and backup if the school claims they can't provide services. There is a lot of aural rehabilitation that goes along with an implant - the person has to be taught to recognize sound all over again. It is a long process and shouldn't be overlooked. good luck and let us know how things turn out.

5. jennydvt42

jennydvt42 Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I don't want to get real involved in any details in order to preserve the confidentiality of this student, but I have an uneasy feeling about the whole situation.

Some steps have been taken, but not followed through with on different ends of the spectrum. We do have schools in our district more equipped with handling students with special needs, but what can be done if parents do not take advantage of it?

My stand is that the IEP will be followed word for word or the student will not start school in my class Monday. The only way it would happen was if the administration went over my head.

I will inquire about speaking with the audiologist. I'm sure they could give a detailed picture of this little girl's disability. Thanks for the replies!

6. Hearing Lady

Hearing Lady New Member

Sep 5, 2006

Dear Jenny,

I am sorry that you have been put in this situation. I have spent 35 years as an educator of the hearing impaired. I can't imagine a child being placed in a regular education class without the assistance that is needed. Also, I don't understand the parents of you student not demanding the needed support for their child and the teachers that will be educating their child.

It has been my experience that the audiologists and the implant team direct the parents of children with implants to therapists that are trained in the Auditory-Verbal Approach to develop the auditory skills which leads to the development of speech and language skill. Therapy is usually set up before or shortly after the implant is "turned on". This child must be very intelligent to have come this far without the intervention other cochlear implanted child receive.

I think I would be questioning the parents of this student to get background information regarding past therapy. I would also ask the parents if they have made requests of the school district for the appropriate interventions that their child requires in order to be a successful student in the regular education setting. I would encourage the parents to pursue this path until they are satisfied with the level of interventions their child receives.

I applaud you for being an advocate for this student.... you must be a very caring and devoted teacher.

I will be happy to supply more information if you wish.

Good luck.

Hearing Lady

7. sva

sva Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

When did the child have the cochlear implant? The speech/language therapy that follows a CI are rigid and plentiful, usually. It sounds like someone (not you!) dropped the ball on this one. I would make sure that your supervisor is aware of this.

8. iladore

iladore New Member

Sep 9, 2006

Some thoughts for you...

I am a teacher of deaf students in an special day class and am appalled at the situation this child has been put in. Often times parents will put their child in a regular classroom in the hopes that s/he will function like a hearing child and with the thought that the child will acquire oral language this way.The school is not required to provide an interpreter unless the parents request it. In my experience, the hospitals that implant these children push the parents towards an oral only education and require them to participate in speech and auditory training. In addition, they give the parents negative information regarding the use of sign language sometimes telling them that the use of sign will delay spoken language. (Completely untrue!!!!) This is often not what is best for the child.
    I would suggest that you speak with your principal about getting an itinerant teacher of the deaf to come to your school. Try your county office of education's special ed. division. This teacher will have a wealth of knowledge that will aide you in teaching this child.
    Until then, you may have to provide this child activities that are at his level which may not necessarily be what you are giving the other children in your class. I find that deaf children may need repetition, lots of practice with activities teaching basic sight words, have him repeat back to you what he is to do to make sure he understands you just to name a few.
    Hope that helps.

9. irwinsnc

irwinsnc New Member

Sep 26, 2006

Are you still needing help? I am a middle school teacher, but, even better, the mom of a Cochlear Implant kid.
    irwinsnc